Psychiatric comorbidities in Asperger syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 5:53 am

Quote:
Abstract

There is great phenotypic heterogeneity within autism spectrum disorders (ASD), which has led to question their classification into a single diagnostic category. The study of the common genetic variation in ASD has suggested a greater contribution of other psychiatric conditions in Asperger syndrome (AS) than in the rest of the DSM-IV ASD subtypes (Non_AS). Here, using available genetic data from previously performed genome-wide association studies (GWAS), we aimed to study the genetic overlap between five of the most related disorders (schizophrenia (SCZ), major depression disorder (MDD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorders (OCD) and anxiety (ANX)), and AS, comparing it with the overlap in Non_AS subtypes. A Spanish cohort of autism trios (N = 371) was exome sequenced as part of the Autism Sequencing Consortium (ASC) and 241 trios were extensively characterized to be diagnosed with AS following DSM-IV and Gillberg's criteria (N = 39) or not (N = 202). Following exome imputation, polygenic risk scores (PRS) were calculated for ASD, SCZ, ADHD, MDD, ANX, and OCD (from available summary data from Psychiatric Genomic Consortium (PGC) repository) in the Spanish trios' cohort. By using polygenic transmission disequilibrium test (pTDT), we reported that risk for SCZ (Pscz = 0.008, corrected-PSCZ = 0.0409), ADHD (PADHD = 0.021, corrected-PADHD = 0.0301), and MDD (PMDD = 0.039, corrected-PMDD = 0.0501) is over-transmitted to children with AS but not to Non_AS. Indeed, agnostic clustering procedure with deviation values from pTDT tests suggested two differentiated clusters of subjects, one of which is significantly enriched in AS (P = 0.025). Subsequent analysis with S-Predixcan, a recently developed software to predict gene expression from genotype data, revealed a clear pattern of correlation between cortical gene expression in ADHD and AS (P < 0.001) and a similar strong correlation pattern between MDD and AS, but also extendable to another non-brain tissue such as lung (P < 0.001). Altogether, these results support the idea of AS being qualitatively distinct from Non_AS autism and consistently evidence the genetic overlap between AS and ADHD, MDD, or SCZ.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32732888/

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 7:04 am

Ok

Last edited by vermontsavant on 01 Aug 2020, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 7:31 am

I have both sz-a and Asperger's. I find your comments dismissive and offensive.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 8:43 am

Some of this goes a bit over my head. (What an earth do they mean by "Non_AS autism"?) But they appear to be saying that many common mental health and neurological problems may have a different genetic basis in autistic people than in non-autistic people. Which would be interesting, if it's true. And also relevant to me personally- I've wondered if the same genes landed me with autism and my grandmother with schizophrenia. I get the sense that the whole field is on the brink of major changes. Researchers keep turning up hints that our categories lump together conditions that are seperate, while splitting apart conditions that have the same deeper cause.

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2020, 10:08 am

firemonkey wrote:

You posted information without prompting the point. And ok is one comment and without further information the only appropriate response.

Alex_2x4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2020, 10:14 am

killerBunny wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

You posted information without prompting the point. And ok is one comment and without further information the only appropriate response.

vermontsavant edited his post out of courtesy to firemonkey

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 10:20 am

^^^^Thank you.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 10:41 am

^^^
No problem
No offense was ever intended

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 12:57 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Some of this goes a bit over my head. (What an earth do they mean by "Non_AS autism"?)

I think they mean stuff like PDD-NOS, classic autism, etc. Anything that is autism but not Asperger's Syndrome.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 1:39 am

Thanks for posting this. I knew ASD was co-morbid with other conditions, but I had not seen anything showing comorbidity differing between AS and classic autism.

My understand of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) is that it is a set of symptoms, not causes. Obviously, there is a great variation in how autism presents in people as well. I guess it would not surprise me that ASD could actually be a grouping of multiple disorders that share traits, but are actually distinct.

I am sorry to hear about your schizophrenia. I cannot imagine how hard that must be.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 2:12 am

^ Thanks. I'm 63, and well past the part where positive symptoms dominate. There are breakthrough positive symptoms but they are very mild. Things like lack of initiative and motivation are more prominent.

There are cognitive issues. I'm not sure whether Asperger's+sz-a is worse on that score than just having Asperger's or sz-a. What I can say is how I am participating in an online forum doesn't reflect my ability to cope with practical, daily living tasks. In essence, I have little practical intelligence.

I get a fair amount of support from my stepdaughter, without which I'd be doing significantly worse than I currently am .