Has Anyone Tried Special Diets w/ Success ? (autism, medicat

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Melone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2020, 5:35 am

Has anyone ever tried a special diet? Any improvements? I was unable to get away with gluten-free / dairy-free when my child was younger but I entertain the idea all the time to try again. Dairy for sure I know is a problem. His behavior is so much worse after it, lots of stimming. I'm particularly interested in a ketogenic diet. Has anyone ever tried that?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 9:35 am

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used mainly to treat hard-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.

I have used this diet to lose weight and it worked for me. The problem was over time sticking with it. I have not tried this approach for autism.

According to one website:
One well-conducted study that looked at how following either a modified keto diet, the gluten-free casein-free (GFCF) diet, and a standard nutritious diet affected ASD symptoms in children ages 3-8. The researchers found that both the keto diet and GFCF diet were associated with improvements in autism symptoms compared to the standard balanced diet. Overall, the ketogenic diet showed a larger improvement in language, communication, cognition, and social skills and autism severity as measured by the Assessed Childhood Autism Rating Scale and Autism Treatment Evaluation Test.

I guess from my perspective, if one is looking at utilizing a diet, one should also focus on making sure that the person does not lack adequate vitamins/minerals and therefore I would integrate it with taking a multivitamin daily.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 11:25 am

I've lost 25 pounds on Nutri-System -- a high fiber, high protein, low carb diet with controlled portion sizes.  I also jog about 3 miles each day on the treadmill.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.