Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 6:45 pm

Is it normal to feel lonely in a room filled with crowded people?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 6:49 pm

I don't know if it is normal, but I often do...but then again, I am not normal...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 7:19 pm

It's a common feeling amongst those who got no one to relate to and relate from.
No one to resonate with, no one to share having common with.

It is also a common feeling amongst those who are simply feel out of place, one that longs to be belonged.

It is also common towards those who felt rather emotionally short or held back, no matter the proximity and effort done to fulfill the above.

It is also common to those who overlooks a crowd, seeing each and all apparently dead and/or cold to the world -- and assuming you're the only one who is not.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 7:21 pm

It’s normal for me.....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 7:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s normal for me.....

^^^^
This

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 7:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s normal for me.....

^^^^
This

^^^^

Also this

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 7:44 pm

I would expect it to be pretty normal if you are not an extrovert and don’t know many/any of the people there.

Me? In a crowded situation, I just panic and look for the best way out, no time for loneliness.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 3:45 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I would expect it to be pretty normal if you are not an extrovert and don’t know many/any of the people there.

Me? In a crowded situation, I just panic and look for the best way out, no time for loneliness.

It happens to me even when I know most of them.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 3:48 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
It happens to me even when I know most of them.
It happens to me with my own family. I always feel that way.

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2020, 11:13 pm

If I am in a crowd of strangers where there is no expectation of interacting (a shopping mall, for examplr), then no. If there is an expectation people should interact with me and no one chooses to, then yes. An example would be a party where I know multiple guests, but everyone is busy talking to someone they know better than me.

Generally speaking though, I avoid gatherings like that. I don't like crowds or small talk or noise. When I must attend, I usually end up finding a quiet corner and read a book or look busy on my phone if I can't leave. Sometimes someone else will seek out the quiet too, and occasionally that leads to a nice discussion.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2020, 11:31 pm

I suspect a majority of humans feel this way, except for the 'crowdmasters' :P

*see elephant seal beachmasters

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 1:48 am

It is if you have ASD.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

irreversibility
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2020, 4:17 pm

It depends on what the crowd is doing. I have fond memories of watching movies in a theater, not knowing anyone else there, but joining in with the laughter. But at a dinner party? I can easily feel lonely when around people at that sort of event.

IR

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 4:37 pm

Sure, if you aren't connecting with anybody on a meaningful level you can be very lonely in a big crowd.

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 4:41 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s normal for me.....

^^^^
This

^^^^

Also this

Me too. I think it's about 'connecting'. It seems some people can 'connect' to a large number of people and its seemingly effortless. I guess it makes it special when those of us who find this hard do connect with someone else though. :)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 4:55 pm

Trying not to be influenced by crowds...... become. Hyper aware of things around me , burning up any reserve energy , I might have available . So am always looking for the exit . Am finding myself doing the best I can to mimick , what I think someone , might behave like until, a exit opens . Almost a art form to appear as though you might belong . Occasionally, if am acquainted with someone the intensity of the need to vacate is less intense.
Then I have to remember not to start going on and on on some topic . I happen to be aware of,what might be related. To the conversation And actually feeling as though I can safely speak with the person.
This only works in smaller group settings. Although when younger managed to attend some concert type event if was accompanied by someone , I knew well . But that was very rare. & Long ago.

where ever you go ,there you are