Statue of Soundgarden frontman vandalized

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:05 pm

Chris Cornell's statue vandalized at Seattle museum, late singer's widow and kids 'heartbroken'

Quote:
A Chris Cornell statue that stands at Seattle's Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP) to commemorate the late Soundgarden frontman was vandalized.

MoPOP released a statement confirming that the sculpture was recently targeted. Photos making their rounds on social media show the bronze statue covered in what appears to be white paint.

“We are deeply pained by this act targeting the memory of a beloved artist in Seattle and around the world,” MoPOP said in a statement via The Seattle Times. “We have notified appropriate authorities and have cordoned off the area so that professional conservators can assess the damage and develop a plan that will restore this important piece of public art without damaging it further.”

Seattle is Cornell's hometown. His wife, Vicky Cornell, commissioned the piece and donated it to the museum as a way to honor the late artist. It portrays the singer holding a Gibson guitar with one hand in the air as he's wearing his signature boots and dog tags.

Vicky took to Instagram late Friday to share that she and the couple's kids were "heartbroken" to learn of the act of vandalism.

"The statue is not only art, but a tribute to Chris, his incomparable musical legacy and everything that he stood for. It represents Chris, who is beloved not only in Seattle, but worldwide," Vicky captioned a picture of the statue.

His widow went on to point out that the act was "not in the course of riots or protests." She claimed the destruction was carried out by a "single disturbed individual" who attempted to "besmirch Chris's legacy."

She continued: "Im so grateful to the fans who stood up to support and showed such immense love- after hearing about it, they made their way there in the middle of the night with supplies and tried to clean it up."

Vicky added that she and her kids "cried" upon learning of the destruction, but the fans' act of kindness in the aftermath was a reminder that there's "much more good" out there in the world. She confirmed the statue will be restored.

"Hate will not win," she concluded in her post. "CHRIS IS SEATTLE'S SON forever..."

Cornell was the lead vocalist for the bands Soundgarden and Audioslave. He died by suicide in May 2017 at the age of 52.

A medical examiner determined Cornell killed himself by hanging in a room at the MGM Grand hotel following a concert.

The musician left behind three kids: daughter Toni, 15, and son, Christopher, 14, with Vicky, and daughter, Lillian, 20 with his ex Susan Silver.

While this apparently was not political I strongly suspect the vandal got the idea from what has been going on.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:11 pm

why would someone do that :(

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 3:07 pm

Feyokien wrote:
why would someone do that :(

My guess is because human nature sucks big wind.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 3:14 pm

I am not sure what I am surprised more--the statue was vandalized or there was a statue at all. I a, happy he has a statue, just surprised...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 3:16 pm

Maybe he just got sick of hearing "Blackhole Sun".

Actually...yes...it is surprising that a rock star of that recent a vintage would have a statue. But it IS Seattle where they celebrate their Grunge scene, like we in DC have a street named after Chuck Brown.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 3:17 pm

"Yea Soundgarden is cool,they must get lots of chicks" (Beavis)
"No Beavis,they scare chicks" (Butthead)

"the only bands that are cooler than ones that get lots of chicks,are bands that scare chicks" (Beavis)ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Anyone old enough to remember that skit from Beavis and Butthead

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 8:22 pm

I could not understand, at the time, WHY he would do that; talent, stable marriage, children, secure future, success and many, many fans and friends;
A life that SO many Autistics/Aspergians only dream of.
I still do not understand.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 8:42 pm

The motivation was probably similar to what motivated the guy who killed John Lennon 40 years ago.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 8:42 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

"the only bands that are cooler than ones that get lots of chicks,are bands that scare chicks" (Beavis)ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I probably heard it as a 3 year old. My dad had a very interesting ideas about what was appropriate for children to watch.....

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 6:44 am

Feyokien wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I probably heard it as a 3 year old. My dad had a very interesting ideas about what was appropriate for children to watch.....

I take it then you don't remember exactly where you were when you heard Kurt Cobain died.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 7:12 am

I was already middle aged when Cobain died, and I dont remember that either.

Him dying wasnt up there with 9-11, or JFK's assassination as a meaningful thing.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 7:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I was already middle aged when Cobain died, and I dont remember that either.

Him dying wasnt up there with 9-11, or JFK's assassination as a meaningful thing.
It was a generation X joke.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:29 am

vermontsavant wrote:
I take it then you don't remember exactly where you were when you heard Kurt Cobain died.

I was almost fully developed in the womb! :jester:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:55 am

Feyokien wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

I was almost fully developed in the womb! :jester:

I was aware of Cobain's demise but it didn't mean that much to me. Around the same time, Jerry Garcia died suddenly and I can recall visiting the USENET Grateful Dead group to find the first posting acknowledging that event. Sort of a morbid thing to do as I was not in fact a Grateful Dead fan. I just wanted to experience the immediacy of the Internet, which was a new thing back then.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 9:19 am

These guys wouldn't know Chris Cornell from Bullwinkle the moose. We are ascribing too much reason to rioters and vandals. Why did they vandalize a statue of abolitionist Mathias Baldwin in Philly? It doesn't matter who its a statue of, its about tearing down the establishment (Western Civilization).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 9:35 am

The fad started out with a better class of ...vandals and hoodulums.

Left leaning ones who attack the statues of slave owners. And the Alt Right ones who attack the statues of Abolitionists.
Literate discerning vandals.

But then that triggered the current fad of statue abuse by a groundswell of less sophisticated hoodulums and vandals.

Maybe the guy thought that the guy in this statue was a Nineteenth Century president, and didnt know that they didnt have electric guitars in the Nineteenth century...so why wouldnt Andrew Jackson be playing a Stratocaster?

Like with everything else standards in vandalism are falling. :cry:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 24 Aug 2020, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.