Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

LurkingTank
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2020, 2:09 pm

I’ve been debating joining Wrong Planet on and off since high school, and I finally took the leap. I’m pretty quiet online and may be only sporadically active, but I look forward to lurking on you folk’s post.

Since I saw it stickied in another introduction thread, I’ll go ahead and use this template to introduce myself...

What is your first name: I don’t feel comfortable using my real first name yet, please call me Tank :)

Location: Ravenclaw Common Room for now. If you’re really curious, somewhere in the desert.

Hobbies and Interests: Many, and they change frequently. Classic novels, poetry writing, cooking, steampunk, and various research interests (especially psychology and human behavior).

Why are you here: To learn about other’s experiences on the autism spectrum, and maybe to share my own and how it interacts with other disorders (especially OCD). I’m particularly interested in learning about the experiences of other adult aspies who are in relationships/married so I can better communicate with my partner. Maybe to finally find a Treasure Planet fandom? It would be nice to meet other aspie steampunkies, for sure.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Around age 11-12.

Favorite subjects: Psychology, World History, Weird History, Russian Literature, whatever my brain is obsessing on in the moment.

Year/Grade: Gradumacated, B.A. Psychology, aspiring to pursue an M.S.W. when the pandemic calms down.

Favorite music: All kinds. Ambient, classic rock, dark cabaret, folk rock, indie folk, indie rock, electronica, classical (especially Debussy and Stravinsky), gothic country, some gothic rock, R&B.

Books: Wuthering Heights (yes, I know of the Kate Bush song), Anne of Green Gables, Crime and Punishment, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. Currently working through Fledgling by Octavia Butler, taking a break from The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

TV shows/Movies: X-Files, Carmen Sandiego (Netflix version), Parks and Rec, Community. Lord of the Rings, Treasure Planet, Ponyo, Ratatouille, the Avengers franchise, Paterson (anything, really, by Jim Jarmusch), Silence, Gangs of New York, and many more.

Instrument: Screaming.

Do you like sports: No.

Family: Small, close-knit on dad’s side, divorced parents, un-dx bipolar and possibly borderline mom, dad definitely autistic to some extent, neurotypical younger brother.

Clothing: Mostly thrifted. Very interested in mori kei/cottagecore fashion. Hope to learn to sew so I can make my own clothes.

How did you find this website: Google search for autism forums.

Job: Very boring and difficult to explain, dream job is to become a therapist and author.

Plans for the future: Grad school to pursue my M.S.W., publish my first collection of poetry, finish a vampire novel I’m working on, up my cooking game, become a homeowner with my amazing and wonderful girlfriend.

Any comments: If you are gay and into steampunk, I would very much like to get to know you. I also like people who are genuinely curious about learning and enjoy having lighthearted intellectual conversations without needing to prove a point or make others feel inferior. In fact, I don’t much care for pompous folks or those who use their intelligence to be unkind, so please refrain from interacting with me if you are part of the IPPC (International Party Poopers Committee).

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 6:30 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 7:07 pm

Welcome. I love the idea of Steampunk.. The creativeness. I don't like the copycat goggles on a hat idea. People need to make up their own ideas!
I have not made anything Steampunkish though. Maybe one day. :)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 7:30 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Octavia Butler is awesome. I have read everything she wrote and wished there were more.

I’d love to hear more about the desert. I live in a swamp.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 7:36 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 8:45 pm

@OP:

Does this do anything for you?

DeepBlueSouth
Toucan
Toucan

03 Sep 2020, 11:44 pm

Pepe wrote:
@OP:

Does this do anything for you?

If not, check this out:

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment.”
― Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2020, 7:53 am

Welcome

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2020, 10:38 pm

LurkingTank wrote:
please call me Tank :)

Is that a The Matrix reference?

LurkingTank wrote:
...Weird History...

I'm curious. Can you give an example, or a few?

LurkingTank wrote:
...Ambient...electronica...

Steve Roach?!?!?!

LurkingTank wrote:
...classical (especially Debussy and Stravinsky)...

OK. There we are different. I'd definitely favor JS Bach, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and their ilk. Though Saint-Saëns or Rodrigo would work.

In any event: Hi!

NightMuse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 7:22 pm

Hi, Tank!
Ravenclaw...very cool. I’m usually in the Slytherin common room myself. :D

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 7:24 pm

Awwww.