Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 7:43 am

Aged 20 when i was at the gym weightlifting i got up to 182 pounds at my heaviest now aged 30 i cant get over 168 pounds.

do you think maybe as i have gotten older its become harder for me to put on weight in muscle?

i am 5ft7-5ft8 in stature

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 7:49 am

I'll give you a few pounds if you would like some :)

Actually, as you get older, it's harder to LOSE weight. You're lucky you can stay at 168 lbs.

What matters is how much you're improving in the weightlifting---not how much you weigh.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 7:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Actually, as you get older, it's harder to LOSE weight. You're lucky you can stay at 168 lbs.

What matters is how much you're improving in the weightlifting---not how much you weigh.

I actually currently weigh 160 pounds In the morning since I have started using free weights at home. Earlier this year when I was a member at my local gym I got got up to 162-168 pounds. I am not a member anymore at my local gym

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 8:20 am

I've been walking at least 40 miles a week at about 4 mph for the past 2-3 months. I've only lost 11 pounds in that time---from 182 to 171. And I'm 164 cm, 5 foot 4 3/4 inches tall.

I envy people who don't gain weight.....

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 8:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've been walking at least 40 miles a week at about 4 mph for the past 2-3 months. I've only lost 11 pounds in that time---from 182 to 171. And I'm 164 cm, 5 foot 4 3/4 inches tall.

I envy people who don't gain weight.....

drinking water can help with weight loss

i drink 5 pints of water a day

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 8:56 am

I probably drink more than 5 pints of water a day. But thanks.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 9:18 am

so far my diet of avoiding [mostly, but for one weekly [or weakly] "cheat" day] refined carbs and restricting my eating time window to 6 hours each day [fasting the remaining 18 hours] has helped me not gain weight. :idea:

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 7:19 pm

It's down to heredity. Just do what works for you to stay fit and healthy. I figure it this way, as a man gets older, he loses muscle mass. With less muscle mass, there is less to develop into heavy muscle. They say that if you are obese as a young person, your body has made more fat cells due to your growing process. If you lose weight after you stop growing, the fat cells empty but they are still there - in other words, it's as though they are deflated. That's why some people loss tons and gain it right back - these cells are craving to expand to what is natural to them. Sometimes it's more of a biology than a behavior.

Last edited by RightGalaxy on 11 Sep 2020, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 7:20 pm

Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I actually currently weigh 160 pounds In the morning since I have started using free weights at home. Earlier this year when I was a member at my local gym I got got up to 162-168 pounds. I am not a member anymore at my local gym

Did you quit? Why?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Did you quit? Why?

i just found it easier weightlifting at home. being surrounded by people in a sweaty gym can be a pain in the neck

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 6:00 am

The testosterone levels at age 30, 40 or even 60 aren't much lower than those of a 20 year old. You can't gain weight without a caloric surplus; you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but that would mean that you don't gain any weight.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:42 am

Kurgan wrote:
The testosterone levels at age 30, 40 or even 60 aren't much lower than those of a 20 year old. You can't gain weight without a caloric surplus; you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but that would mean that you don't gain any weight.

Have the same weight lifting routine that I did when I was 20 so I don’t get why I can’t go over 168 lbs?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 8:18 am

Jamesy wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Have the same weight lifting routine that I did when I was 20 so I don’t get why I can’t go over 168 lbs?

If you want to gain weight, but you're not gaining any, you probably need to eat more. Proteins in particular are very important.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 8:29 am

With less muscle mass, there is less to develop into heavy muscle. Sometimes it's more of a biology than a behavior. Muscle mass decreases with age, so your best bet would be to just develop what you have and maintain it.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 8:33 am

Jamesy wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Did you quit? Why?

i just found it easier weightlifting at home. being surrounded by people in a sweaty gym can be a pain in the neck

Yick! I know. When I used to go to an all female one, some of those birds didn't even use their towel on the machines. Now with Covid 19, it's totally OUT of the question.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 8:37 am

Kurgan wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

If you want to gain weight, but you're not gaining any, you probably need to eat more. Proteins in particular are very important.

I heard that TOO MUCH protein can actually mess up your kidneys. Jamesy, just do the best with what you have. Testosterone levels are not the same with everyone. Heredity does play a role. We can learn more about ourselves by looking at our parents and grandparents than studies. Studies do help but still it's an individual assessment.