Trump nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 5:11 am

Christian Tybring-Gjedde, a member of the Norwegian Parliament and chairman to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, submitted the nomination, Fox News reported.
“For his merit, I think he has done more trying to create peace between nations than most other Peace Prize nominees,” Tybring-Gjedde, told Fox News. In his letter to the Nobel Committee, Tybring-Gjedde wrote that the Trump administration has played a key role in the establishment of relations between the two nations.
“As it is expected other Middle Eastern countries will follow in the footsteps of the UAE, this agreement could be a game-changer that will turn the Middle East into a region of cooperation and prosperity,” he wrote. Tybring-Gjedde also cited Trump’s “key role in facilitating contact between conflicting parties and … creating new dynamics in other protracted conflicts, such as the Kashmir border dispute between India and Pakistan, and the conflict between North and South Korea, as well as dealing with the nuclear capabilities of North Korea.”

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 5:20 am

Well, Obama got one basically for not being GWB, so why not?...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 8:13 am

A nomination is one thing, while actually being awarded is another.  Besides, all NPP recipients are required to bow to the King of Norway ... does anyone really think that DJT would bow to anyone?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 8:50 am

Probably not, but seeing the collective clench of the high and mighty when he refuses might be worth it. XD

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 8:59 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Probably not, but seeing the collective clench of the high and mighty when he refuses might be worth it.
I think it would be drowned out by the collective sigh of relief from the rest of us.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 9:15 am

Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Probably not, but seeing the collective clench of the high and mighty when he refuses might be worth it.
I think it would be drowned out by the collective sigh of relief from the rest of us.

Given that the prize has been devalued through having being awarded to a person who had done absolutely nothing to earn it, does it really make a difference whether he wins it or not?

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 9:20 am

Ironic seeing how things aren't exactly 'peaceful' right now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 9:21 am

Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Given that the prize has been devalued through having being awarded to a person who had done absolutely nothing to earn it, does it really make a difference whether he wins it or not?
It can be argued that the Nobel Prize for Peace has never been awarded to anyone for doing anything other than talk.  The fact that it was awarded to a black man for his accomplishments -- not the least of which was getting elected president of a racist nation -- does not diminish the fact that a lot of leaders want one.  You seem to be presuming that the Nobel Prize for Peace has been devalued because a black man got one.  If that was the actual case, then why does Donald Trump want one so badly?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 9:37 am

Black people recieving the Nobel prize is not a new thing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 9:46 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Black people recieving the Nobel prize is not a new thing.
There have been only 16 black people awarded a Nobel Prize -- all since 1950; 12 of those people were recipients of a Nobel Prize for Peace.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 10:10 am

Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
It can be argued that the Nobel Prize for Peace has never been awarded to anyone for doing anything other than talk.  The fact that it was awarded to a black man for his accomplishments -- not the least of which was getting elected president of a racist nation -- does not diminish the fact that a lot of leaders want one.  You seem to be presuming that the Nobel Prize for Peace has been devalued because a black man got one.  If that was the actual case, then why does Donald Trump want one so badly?

The award is supposedly given:
Quote:
to those who have "done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize

As such, your claim that "it was awarded to a black man for his accomplishments -- not the least of which was getting elected president of a racist nation" would appear to meet none of the criteria, thereby devaluing the award should that have been the reason.

Given that nominations had to be submitted 12 days after he took office, it would be interesting to know how the nominees could have come to the conclusion that he had done anything during this time worthy of the award that was within the guidlines outlined above: hence the devaluation of the award....Had it been the following year, however, when there would have been more than 12 days to base "suitability" for nomination, I doubt there would have been such a problem, providing there was evidence of his actually doing anything that could make him worthy of a nomination at that stage.

It is interesting that the committee who awards the prize "thought it would strengthen Obama and it didn't have this effect", indicating it likely was not for anything he had done, but in the hope he would "earn" it through later actions - being both an insult to other nominees with actual achievements, and an indication that the prize's value had been diminished through this attempt at "strengthening" an unworthy recipient (according to the stated requirements for receiving it).

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 10:46 am

During the Trump presidency, the US has withdrawn from the Paris Climate Agreement, the World Health Organization, the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, the Iran nuclear deal framework and UNESCO (among others). Trump also launched trade wars against both China and the EU, caused the 1556 Shaanxi earthquake and said nasty things on Twitter. He also eats pizza with a fork.

In other words, Trump may have done the least or the worst work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

... So I guess he's an OK candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize. After all, they gave it to Arafat...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 10:52 am

Trump eats pizza with a fork?!

8O

Is there no limit to his depravity?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 10:52 am

Does the pizza have pineapple on it?

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 10:53 am

Fnord wrote:
Trump eats pizza with a fork?!

8O

Is there no limit to his depravity?

He also has a hard time drinking a glass of water! Oh the inhumanity! :x

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 12:28 pm

Trump commented: “They gave it to Obama. He didn’t even know what he got it for. He was there for about 15 seconds and he got the Nobel Prize. He said, ‘Oh, what did I get it for?’” Trump said in February 2019. “With me, I probably will never get it.”

There are actually two types of Nobel Prizes. Most of the prizes are awarded for accomplishments is specific fields: chemistry, physics, physiology or medicine, literature, and economics. The other type of prize is called the Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee prepares a report reflecting the advice of experts in the relevant fields. But the Peace Prize is different. It is political. The Norwegian Nobel Committee is responsible for the selection of eligible candidates and the choice of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates. The Committee is composed of five members appointed by the Storting (Norwegian parliament).