Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Which of the following would you be willing to try?
Psychological treatment for autism 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Psychological treatment for anxiety 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Psychological treatment to improve your self-esteem 18%  18%  [ 11 ]
Psychological treatment to reduce your sensitivity to criticism 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Psychological treatment to reduce stress 18%  18%  [ 11 ]
Gene therapy to treat autism 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
None of the above 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 61

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2020, 9:52 pm

None of the above because like my NT sister, I am also seeing a therapist to help me cope with my anxiety.

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2020, 9:54 am

The only reason I would want a cure is if I wanted to stop feeling like I'm the only smart person in a world of friggin idiots.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 4:36 am

The fact that I have had some good brain periods in my life even though few and far between, makes me confident that there is some biological way to make this happen all the time that doesn’t involve zoning out on sledgehammer drugs.

They just need to unlock the secrets of our neuro / biological pathways. I maybe will be an old man or dead by then but I live in hope.

- George Bernie Shaw

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 1:26 pm

f**k no! I like myself exactly as I am and I do not appreciate anyone trying to change me because they find something weird about me. I believe God made me autistic for a reason...and God always has a good reason for things. Some things I don't understand yet, but as for giving me autism, I think it was a birthday gift from Him.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 2:47 pm

Depression and anxiety could sometimes be the result of trying to live in an unpleasant world. If you were stranded on the wrong planet you might be unhappy and stressed.

Science does not yet understand Autism. More than 150 genetic variations have been associated with Autism. Any one of the variations might cause Autism, or not. And sometimes Autism occurs without any of those variations. And some folk think there is an environmental component, too. The Autism Spectrum might encompass multiple "illnesses" that resemble each other. My "illness" might actually be something completely different than yours, but difficulties living in this NT world seems common.

For my purposes, I blame the world. Many NTs would be better people if they had a few more of the attributes associated with Aspies. Before I knew I was an Aspie I had some medical providers that worked well for me and I assume they worked well for NTs as well; healthcare practices recommended for autistic patients sound to me like they should also work well for NTs. Techniques recommended for managing autistic employees sound like they should also work well for NTs. And apparently treating young NTs in classrooms as if they are autistic works well, too.

I think the world could be less "wrong" for me without hurting the NTs. Rather than cure me, I'd like to see the world cured.

(That might fix some of the depression and anxiety.)

BenReillyUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2020, 5:44 am

Double Retired wrote:
I think the world could be less "wrong" for me without hurting the NTs. Rather than cure me, I'd like to see the world cured.

(That might fix some of the depression and anxiety.)

That is a good way of looking at it.
But I can't help but feel being autistic is day to day for me a struggle rather than not. Is that the world? Not all the time. Sometimes its down to how low I feel sometimes, very hormonal and up and down.