Did ICE have mass hysterectomies of immigrant women done?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 6:13 pm

A whistleblower who submitted a complaint to the Inspector-General alleges that at a Georgia facility, they've been sending immigrant women to a doctor who performed hysterectomies on them without their knowledge or consent:

Quote:
It is based on the allegations of a whistleblower, a nurse identified as Dawn Wooten.

She worked at the centre, which houses immigrants detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

As part of her complaint, filed on Monday, Ms Wooten expressed concerns about the high number of hysterectomies performed on Spanish-speaking women at the centre.

The nurse said detained women told her they did not fully understand why they had to get a hysterectomy - an operation involving the removal of all or part of the uterus.

The complaint also alleges "jarring medical neglect" during the coronavirus pandemic, including a refusal to test detainees with symptoms and fabricating medical records.

"I became a whistleblower, now I'm a target," Ms Wooten said at a press conference on Tuesday. But, "I'll be a target anytime", she said, rather than staying a part of what she called an "inhumane" system.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54160638

This is criminal. If this is true, the perpetrators need to be punished. I want to be clear, this is a crime. And it shouldn't matter that these are government officials. A crime is a crime, no matter who commits it.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 6:22 pm

Disturbing. Hopefully this isn't true. There is historical precedent in the United States:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterilization_of_Native_American_women

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 7:29 pm

they're not even going to get a slap on the wrist...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 8:49 pm

In the past, liberals were accused of hyperbole for calling Trump and his administration Nazis. If this is true, hyperbole has just turned into truth.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 11:58 pm

I would like an apology from the people who told me I was acting in poor taste for comparing Trump's GOP cult to the Nazi Party now please.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 2:35 am

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/09/15/de ... n-georgia/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 8:24 am

I would like an apology from the people who told me I was being both stupid and ignorant for claiming that the current administration is a misogynistic and racist one.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 12:32 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
I would like an apology from the people who told me I was acting in poor taste for comparing Trump's GOP cult to the Nazi Party now please.

Fnord wrote:
I would like an apology from the people who told me I was being both stupid and ignorant for claiming that the current administration is a misogynistic and racist one.

Careful guys, the more true it becomes, the more they'll just complain about the truth being spoken. That's the point, they know they're lying but they hope if they whine enough some people will have sympathy because they claim their feelings were hurt, regardless of what the reality is.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 2:05 pm

Time to wait patiently for people to inevitably defend ICE regardless of what they do.
Because there are some who seem to think that if brown people break the law the government should be able to do whatever it wants to them to discourage lawbreaking.

This is just a continuation of the long American tradition of sterilizing undesirables.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 8:26 pm

Sign here to hold them accountable.(hopefully)
https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3043154459

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 8:37 pm

I am taking a wild guess but this has to do with preventing these women from getting pregnant in the US to claim residency?

Is this really a thing?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 11:59 am

Seems to be.
Sign here.
https://abolishicenow.org/?source=em202 ... immigrants

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 12:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I am taking a wild guess but this has to do with preventing these women from getting pregnant in the US to claim residency?

Is this really a thing?

The political reason would be to prevent them from giving birth to future U.S. citizens (giving birth on US soil doesn't get you residency, pretty sure). That seems unlikely....for now. If its true, its probably because they thought they were helping these women.

Quote:
In the 1960s and 1970s, the Indian Health Service (IHS) and collaborating physicians sustained a practice of performing sterilizations on Native American women, in many cases without the informed consent of their patients. In some cases, women were misled into believing that the sterilization procedure was reversible. In other cases, sterilization was performed without the adequate understanding and consent of the patient, including cases in which the procedure was performed on minors as young as 11 years old. A compounding factor was the tendency of doctors to recommend sterilization to poor and minority women in cases where they would not have done so to a wealthier white patient. Other cases of abuse have been documented as well, including when health providers did not tell women they were going to be sterilized, or other forms of coercion including threatening to take away their welfare or healthcare.

Native American women were not the only individuals to be subjected to forced sterilizations; black and poor women were also affected by these practices. In the 1970s, after being forced onto reservations by the United States government, or relocated into urban areas without adequate support, many Native Americans were struggling with poverty.

Most of the physicians performing this procedure viewed sterilization as the best alternative for these women. They claimed it would improve their financial situation and their family's quality of life. Many of these physicians believed that Native American women were not intelligent enough to use other methods of birth control. Thus, sterilizing these patients was seen as the most reliable birth control method

There could be any number of reasons though. Should know more soon.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 11:26 am

ASAN joined a number of organizations in petitioning the government to investigate and stop this practice.

“ September 24, 2020

The Honorable Chad F. Wolf
Acting Secretary of Homeland Security
Washington, DC 20528

Kenneth Cuccinelli
Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20529

The Honorable Joseph V. Cuffari
Inspector General
Department of Homeland Security
245 Murray Lane, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20528-0305

Dear Acting Secretary Wolf, Senior Official Cuccinelli, and Inspector Cuffari,

The undersigned disability organizations, in solidarity with immigrant and reproductive health rights and justice organizations, write to express our unified outrage at the recent report on the alarming rate of non-consensual hysterectomies performed on immigrant women in custody of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at the Irwin County Detention Center in Georgia. We are appalled by the fundamental human rights violations these women have endured and see ICE’s actions at the Irwin County Detention Center as part of a long racist, sexist, and ableist history in this country.

We demand that the Trump Administration immediately halt the practice of non-consensual hysterectomies and any other non-consensual procedures in ICE detention centers. We are grateful that the Department of Homeland Security has already launched investigations into the Irwin County Detention Center in Georgia. We urge that these investigations be both thorough and transparent.

While this news is horrific, it is not surprising given the long and sordid history of forced sterilizations in the United States. At the beginning of our nation, Black women were sterilized to control the population of enslaved Africans. More recently, the Family Planning Services and Population Research Act of 1970 made it possible for physicians associated with the Indian Health Service to sterilize an estimated 25% of Native American Women of child-bearing age. Between the 1920s and the 1950s California initiated an aggressive forced sterilization program that targeted Mexican immigrant and Mexican-American women. In yet another example, as many as 70,000 Americans were forcibly sterilized during the 20th century due to the Buck v. Bell Supreme Court decision of 1927, a decision which continues to make forced sterilization of disabled people completely legal today, often in the form of guardian-imposed sterilization. These are just a few of the all too numerous examples of eugenic practices in the history of the United States, devaluing our bodies, lives, and futures as women, people of color, immigrants, and disabled people.

This is not a matter of one bad doctor — this is precisely the pattern of abuse to be expected from our inhumane immigration detention system, reflecting the same eugenic practices, dehumanization, and familiar structures of violence we see in institutionalization and mass incarceration. These horrific acts are a violation of fundamental human rights, and they are also the inevitable outcomes of an immigration system that perpetuates human rights abuses, medical abuse and neglect, sexual assault, and mass incarceration. The system cannot be fixed. It must be dismantled.

Sincerely,

American Association of People with Disabilities
Autistic Self Advocacy Network
Hispanic Federation
National Women’s Law Center

In Solidarity:

Access Living
Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD)
Barth Syndrome Foundation
CAC Trailblazers
Center for Public Representation
Chicagoland Autism Connection Trailblazers

IMPACT CIL
Interfaith Community for Detained Immigrants
Latino Caucus for Public Health- APHA
Little People of America
Lupus and Allied Diseases Association, Inc.
Mucolipidosis Type IV Foundation
National Alliance for Hispanic Health
National Association of the Deaf
National Council on Independent Living
National Infusion Center Association (NICA)
Nikkei Uprising
Not Dead Yet
Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation
Progress Center for Independent Living
PXE International
Senior and Disability Action
SILC of Illinois
The Advocacy Institute
The Coelho Center for Disability Law, Policy and Innovation
The HANA Center
United Spinal Association
University of Florida; Academics for Black Survival and Wellness
University YMCA - New American Welcome Center
Ventura County Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice (CLUE-V
Coalition for Immigrant Mental Health - Illinois
Creating Connections PC
Dia de la Mujer Latina
Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund (DREDF)
Genetic Alliance
Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund (DREDF)
Genetic Alliance
IMPACT CIL
Interfaith Community for Detained Immigrants
Latino Caucus for Public Health- APHA
Little People of America
Lupus and Allied Diseases Association, Inc.
Mucolipidosis Type IV Foundation
National Alliance for Hispanic Health
National Association of the Deaf
National Council on Independent Living
National Infusion Center Association (NICA)
Nikkei Uprising
Not Dead Yet
Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation
Progress Center for Independent Living
PXE International
Senior and Disability Action
SILC of Illinois
The Advocacy Institute
The Coelho Center for Disability Law, Policy and Innovation
The HANA Center
United Spinal Association
University of Florida; Academics for Black Survival and Wellness
University YMCA - New American Welcome Center
Ventura County Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice (CLUE-VC)“

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman