Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 4:18 pm

https://listverse.com/2020/09/20/top-10-electrifying-facts-about-lightning/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 5:39 pm

In the Seventies a guy and girl addressed the college Geology 101 class I was in to invite us all to join the campus geology club. And they showed us slides of the fun doing outdoor repelling and hiking we could have. One of the slides showed some of students standing next to a portly middle aged ranger in the local mountains. The guy mentioned that "this guy is in the Guiness Book of World Records ...as the person struck by lightening more times than anyone else in the human race. After we snapped that picture we.... all got as far away from him as we could. Lol". It was that same ranger guy in that article, Roy Sullivan, in that second article that this article links to. Thats sad that he passed away for the reason stated in the article (nothing to do with lightening). Almost feel like I know the guy.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 10:54 pm

My father when he was young was struck by lightning. It knocked him unconscious. The neighbor a couple doors down was in her basement when ball lightning appeared inside. It floated in the air for several minutes. I have seen thunder snow a couple times. It is a snowstorm with lightning. When lightning strikes sand, it is so intense that it melts the sand and produces a tube fulgurites. I bought one of these at a rock show. We had lightning strike one of our large trees many decades ago. It stripped the bark off the tree in a circular pattern. So the tree resembled a candy cane. I built my own lightning protection for my house. I pounded some long grounding rods into the ground and then attached a long 4/0 (four ought) cable and then attached the other end to a 40 foot tower. It seems to work rather well.