X 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
XI 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
XII 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 1:09 am

Presumably doesn't count (?) I'm assuming we're talking just about Sakaguchi's Final Fantasy series?

I know everyone on earth loves Final Fantasy Tactics, but I've never liked it. Strangely, I actually liked it's spiritual precursor Tactics Ogre okay. I know I'm the only one though!

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 4:14 pm

Tactics doesn't count. I'm talking about the RPG's, excluding X-2 though. (Now that I think about it, I should have put X-2 up there, oh, it doesn't matter, nobody would vote for it anyway).

I haven't actually voted until now. I voted for VI but maybe because it's the only FF game I own, and I haven't completed it yet.

I'm only on the second dungeon and my characters are, Locke Lv11, Edgar Lv12 and Terra Lv10. I have three tools with Edgar at the moment.

Please could nobody spoil the storyline of VI please, I would like to find it out for myself.

It's good that when you get a new character, they are one level above your strongest character. It would be a real pain having to train them up otherwise.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 5:08 pm

TheAPERSON wrote:
Tactics doesn't count. I'm talking about the RPG's, excluding X-2 though. (Now that I think about it, I should have put X-2 up there, oh, it doesn't matter, nobody would vote for it anyway).

I haven't actually voted until now. I voted for VI but maybe because it's the only FF game I own, and I haven't completed it yet.

I'm only on the second dungeon and my characters are, Locke Lv11, Edgar Lv12 and Terra Lv10. I have three tools with Edgar at the moment.

Please could nobody spoil the storyline of VI please, I would like to find it out for myself.

It's good that when you get a new character, they are one level above your strongest character. It would be a real pain having to train them up otherwise.

I can't spoil it 'cause I can't remember much beyond the basics. It's been over a decade since I last played it :D In fact, it's almost a decade since I last played 7.

10-2 is a good game too. Stronger than most of the early ones. It's problems are: -Recycles most of the locations from 10 (though not the gameplay). Has a really weak story compared to 6-10, and it also doesn't really feel like it addresses anything interesting that 10 left up in the air. And...that's it actually. It's still a strong game, and I liked it a lot more than 12, which I think is way above average by RPG standards.

I'd certainlly rather play 10-2 than 2-5 again at this point.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 12:46 pm

Remember that this is my first Final Fantasy game so I was a bit suprised with the battle system. It was great to have super powerful attacks at the beginning of the game, but it's also interesting to see attacks entered in beat 'em up fashion (well Ok, Sabin is the only one I can say that about). I've never played a game with an ATB and according to what my friend told me, it sounds similar to the one in XI. But I notice that the other FF games have the same battle system (well IV-X probably).

So maybe the battle systems in VI and XI are very different.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 12:51 pm

TheAPERSON wrote:
Remember that this is my first Final Fantasy game so I was a bit suprised with the battle system. It was great to have super powerful attacks at the beginning of the game, but it's also interesting to see attacks entered in beat 'em up fashion (well Ok, Sabin is the only one I can say that about). I've never played a game with an ATB and according to what my friend told me, it sounds similar to the one in XI. But I notice that the other FF games have the same battle system (well IV-X probably).

So maybe the battle systems in VI and XI are very different.

I can't remember for sure which one was the first with the active time battle system-I think 4? 4-9 all have it, and 10-2. 10 uses something similar where it shows which character is going to go next.

The actual "systems" are really different between most of the games though, which is one of the amazing things about the series. He managed to keep it feeling fresh, yet tap into the same vibe, with both the gameplay and stories of 6-10.

6 and 7 have a pretty similar "system", though no identical. 8's is really different, where you draw magic off of enemies and basically attach it to your characters for stat boosts (it took me a while to get my head around how it works).

9 is kind of a super version of the earlier games. Reminds me of 6 and 7's systems, but even better. 10 uses this grid system that works well too. 10-2 uses a job/class system, kind of like many of the games prior to 6.

Panzyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2007, 7:46 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
I know everyone on earth loves Final Fantasy Tactics, but I've never liked it. Strangely

I think it's fun to screw around on, but God knows I could never make heads or tails of the story. The translation was just so poor.

Anyway, I gotta go with VII, no contest. I've beaten it, like, five times and I still enjoy playing through it. Mark of a great game, I think.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:46 pm

I actually enjoyed the FFVII movie too. I bought Advent Children on a whim one day and never regretted it.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 9:17 pm

I have played all Final Fantasy games that you are including on this poll, except for VII, IX and XI

My favorite is Final Fantasy VIII, it's the first FF I played, it has interesting characters, a good story line (I think it's good), hours of fun and entertaiment, a lot of side quests to do, . . . etc.

I like FFIV and FFVI too, but my favorite is FVIII.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 9:26 pm

SamuraiSaxen wrote:
I have played all Final Fantasy games that you are including on this poll, except for VII, IX and XI

My favorite is Final Fantasy VIII, it's the first FF I played, it has interesting characters, a good story line (I think it's good), hours of fun and entertaiment, a lot of side quests to do, . . . etc.

And for that, I wuv yoo so :P

FINALLY! Someone else votes for 8!

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 1:24 am

violentcloud wrote:
SamuraiSaxen wrote:

And for that, I wuv yoo so :P

FINALLY! Someone else votes for 8!

Well, I left WP and my internet social life for a long time, because I was traveling and I couldn't have access to internet when I was out. I saw the topic and it's unfair no one more than you and me loves FFVIII.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 10:14 am

Like I said, I love Final Fantasy 8 too. It's just not my favorite in the series. But then that's not saying much, since I think the later games are some of the best games ever made.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 3:42 am

I've played all of the Final Fantasys but the only ones I've finished are FFI, FFX, and FFXII. I stopped playing FFVII after Cloud and iirc Tifa were removed from the party. I lost 2 of my main party members! I was so upset about that.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 9:08 am

I don't remember Cloud and Tifa leaving the party. Maybe the groups split up or something like that? At any rate, they're there for the vast majority of the game.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2007, 3:41 pm

For me, FF VI was THE Final fantasy.
What can I say? I'm a hopeless fan. I went out and bought the GBA version, too, just because they made it. :P
To avoid ruining the story, I just have to say, it had the most robust plot, in my opinion, and the character development was satisfying. Not to mention how the game went... Ah, good times, good times, when games were more than just killing stuff for the sake of killing stuff.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 4:58 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
I don't remember Cloud and Tifa leaving the party. Maybe the groups split up or something like that? At any rate, they're there for the vast majority of the game.

Mideel. Ultima Weapon. Remember now? I can't say much more without spoilers. Suffice to say, if your main team consisted of Cloud, Tifa and Aeris for the early parts of the game like mine did, you were stuffed.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 11:32 am

I guess I always try to level my characters evenly, which is annoying to do (that's the one thing I don't like about FF 6-10).