Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2020, 10:01 pm

I have Autism. I also struggle with my mental health. I saw a counselor and a psychiatrist. I got prescribed Abilify. It has started to make me feel more content with my life. I never got a diagnosis of anything but Autism though.

Recently I just want to sleep. I just sleep. I have multiple naps a day. I think it's from stress over school. I feel worthless and lazy. I prefer my dreams to my reality as well. I feel so overwhelmed lately. I get sensory overload much easier lately. I'm starting to feel really disinterested in things. I'm starting to not take care of myself. I have to be reminded to shower and eat. I feel terrible about myself. I feel so irritable too.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 10:32 pm

Some of that may be the medication?

Generally, I consider sleeping to be a good thing.
Natural sleeping, not doped up weariness sleeping.
REM sleep is the body's way of sorting out psychological/emotional problems.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 11:21 pm

Are you physically struggling to stay awake, or is it more of a feeling like "I'm feeling stressed, if I take a nap it'll help"?

Drowsiness (and other symptoms like dizziness would could give you the need to lay down) are a side effect of your medication:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/aripiprazole-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20066890?p=1
It'd be good to talk to your doctor. The dose may be too high, or there could be other underlying health issues to be addressed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm

It could be a compound effect. All of those aspects could be contributing and having a multiplier effect on each other.

I remember feeling very sluggish when I was taking that medication, and I was taking it alongside Wellbutrin as well which should have off-set any drowsiness.

Some of the problems you describe seem like they would likely negatively impact one's self-esteem/self-image, this would give you additional burdens to deal with, which would make the stress worse, as well as make it easier to divest emotionally. Feeling overloaded, worthless and apathetic while knowing sleep is a potential escape would make it really easy to keep relying on sleeping the time away as a coping/escape mechanism.

Do you have people to vent to when you're stressed or when mental health issues are more difficult to deal with? Would you like to vent about the various stresses? Even if it won't directly help, sometimes just articulating the problem helps with placing it (or them) in perspective. It's good you've got support to remind you when you need to take care of yourself, break down of those routines often feeds into things getting worse, at least for me.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 9:09 am

Drowsiness is one of the common side effects of taking Abilify.

Abilify Side Effects Center