Treatment of High Functioning Vs Lower Functioning on W.P

Page 25 of 26 [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 1:45 pm

I got PMed by a troll today, that has never happened to me before :D

I don't believe any of the regular posters are trolls. I don't think bearing a grudge is trolling. I'm talking about minimizing triggering content and identifying and clarifying why it may be unintentionally harmful to certain vulnerable members.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2020, 1:48 pm

If you report a PM, moderators can try to do something about it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:11 pm

Teach51 wrote:

I don't believe any of the regular posters are trolls. I don't think bearing a grudge is trolling. I'm talking about minimizing triggering content and identifying and clarifying why it may be unintentionally harmful to certain vulnerable members.

Was it one of those spammy PMs like "Hey sweetie, I just saw your profile and looking for friends, I am from New York City and my email is [email protected], lots of luv and kisses."

I just report them to a mod. I don't get those very often but it's common here.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:14 pm

Not exactly but I could see it was not legit. I don't answer PM's unless I really know the person well or have seen them post regularly so no risk there. :D

Last edited by Teach51 on 03 Oct 2020, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

Was it one of those spammy PMs like "Hey sweetie, I just saw your profile and looking for friends, I am from New York City and my email is [email protected], lots of luv and kisses."

Even spammers aren't interested after they read my profile. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

Mine's as boring as hell too :D Nothing in it at all actually. I think your music would interest a lot of people, is it not in your profile?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:20 pm

I've always wondered what happens when you reply to these messages and email them? How is a scam if it won't involve money? Are these just cat fishers and they will soon ask you for money to "help them out of a situation?"

I have never tried it to see what happens and I know there are people out there who will mess with scammers to see what happens.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2020, 2:22 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I've always wondered what happens when you reply to these messages and email them? How is a scam if it won't involve money? Are these just cat fishers and they will soon ask you for money to "help them out of a situation?"

I have never tried it to see what happens and I know there are people out there who will mess with scammers to see what happens.

Two options:
1) It proceeds to soliciting money
and/or
2) your adress will be sold to a fartillion of spam companies.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:22 pm

Teach51 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

Mine's as boring as hell too :D Nothing in it at all actually. I think your music would interest a lot of people, is it not in your profile?

I'm mostly kidding, just since I've never gotten that sort of spam before.

That and the constant dull ache of always feeling alone and alienated.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:23 pm

magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Two options:
and/or

2) Use a burner account.

1) Ask them for money first. 8)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2020, 2:28 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I'm mostly kidding, just since I've never gotten that sort of spam before.

If it makes you feel any better, I never got such PMs, too.
I rarely got any PMs before I became a moderator.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Two options:
and/or

2) Use a burner account.

1) Ask them for money first. 8)

Yes loneliness is a bummer. I feel it too sometimes. Most people do. That's why it should be as safe as possible here I feel, if someone feels invalidated or attacked they will leave. That would be such a shame.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:36 pm

I wonder if not getting these PMs is a good thing because it indicates they see no vulnerability in you so they steer clear of you and only go for the ones who they think are vulnerable.

I have an online friend who is also autistic, diagnosed in 2004, and he gets pissed whenever he gets scam mail. He seems to think there is a conspiracy behind it and I tell him it's nothing personal and this is totally random. They are just out looking for suckers so they send it to any mailing address they find. They have no way of knowing who he is and how would they know his history, it's just random and coincidental. Just throw it away and move on. But if he came here and got that sort of PM, he would be really angry. He sees it as them insulting his intelligence and how dare they think he would be that stupid to fall for it. :evil:

I think it's more to do with people assuming he is vulnerable so they under estimate him. To him this is insulting to his character.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:37 pm

I know I seem very vanilla but I am lethal for anyone who hurts me or my friends and family, in a legal and non-violent manner of course. People don't expect it at all :D Pity the troll who messes with me :skull:

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 2:39 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I wonder if not getting these PMs is a good thing because it indicates they see no vulnerability in you so they steer clear of you and only go for the ones who they think are vulnerable.

I have an online friend who is also autistic, diagnosed in 2004, and he gets pissed whenever he gets scam mail. He seems to think there is a conspiracy behind it and I tell him it's nothing personal and this is totally random. They are just out looking for suckers so they send it to any mailing address they find. They have no way of knowing who he is and how would they know his history, it's just random and coincidental. Just throw it away and move on. But if he came here and got that sort of PM, he would be really angry. He sees it as them insulting his intelligence and how dare they think he would be that stupid to fall for it. :evil:

I think it's more to do with people assuming he is vulnerable so they under estimate him. To him this is insulting to his character.

I think you are right, trolls look for naivety and vulnerability

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 4:07 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
aww. dude, if it helps any, I feel like that most of the time as well.