Serious issues with my apartment...

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 12:40 pm

The water was dripping out of the bathroom ceiling again today so I called the landlord. Maintenance came over and accused me of lying, again. I called the landlord to complain, and he accused me of lying and on top of that I mentioned the flooding issues downstairs, my aunt and uncle got flooded, and so did an old man downstairs. The old guy told me the landlord accused him of pouring water all over the floor. The landlord said directly to me that my relatives "were destroying their own apartment on purpose" and "they cause too much trouble" and my aunt and uncle were getting evicted...

I called HUD, I called my social workers, what else can I do???

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 12:43 pm

City or county building inspector?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 12:55 pm

How many of the people affected by this have cell phones?
How many cell phones have video capability? Not photo, video; y’all need motion film of water dripping in various apartments, 10-15 minutes at a time. When you have multiple film of dripping water, NOT still pictures of water drops, y’all call the health department.
Every apartment affected must place a call.
Y’all express concern about dangerous contamination during a nationwide health crisis.
There WILL be a response.
Let us know what happens.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 12:58 pm

I've videoed it more than once

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 2:02 pm

Call the health department. Ask them how to send the videos.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 2:38 pm

Angnix wrote:
I've videoed it more than once

Have you called any health or safety inspectors? The others are correct in saying health inspector due to mold, etc and there are a couple of other inspectors that come to mind as well I can explain.

Edit: think in terms of leaky pipe plus exposed electrical wiring or what have you equals fire.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 2:53 pm

I just called environmental services, they said others from here have recently complained...

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 2:59 pm

Are they so to send someone out to look?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 3:20 pm

Sorry to hear, Ang. After having bathroom and kitchen renovations done, I noticed water coming through the ceiling from one bathroom down through the ceiling into the kitchen. They came out 3 times and couldn’t figure it out. I had to film it and figure it out for myself ... once they saw the video, it still took some time to sort the problem out.

Hope you manage to get it sorted out.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 4:04 pm

I don't have any advice for you but to say you are dealing with a slumlord. There would be water stains on the ceiling or water damage, mold to indicate a leak. There are things you never ignore in the house. My parents used to just cut a hole in the ceiling and put some tarp and bucket down under it until it got fixed. That is what they did with our entry way when I was little when a pipe was leaking in our bathroom and dripping into the entry way.

Leaks are quite common in new homes and renovated ones too because sometimes a pipe is not tight enough.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 4:43 pm

Does anyone in your building have a social worker?
A social worker who sees a potentially infectious health hazard (mold, or simply a ceiling falling) can short cut contacting the proper authorities.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 5:23 pm

Angnix wrote:
The water was dripping out of the bathroom ceiling again today so I called the landlord. Maintenance came over and accused me of lying, again. I called the landlord to complain, and he accused me of lying and on top of that I mentioned the flooding issues downstairs, my aunt and uncle got flooded, and so did an old man downstairs. The old guy told me the landlord accused him of pouring water all over the floor. The landlord said directly to me that my relatives "were destroying their own apartment on purpose" and "they cause too much trouble" and my aunt and uncle were getting evicted...

Evidence.
If water can be seen dripping from the ceiling, make a video.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 5:26 pm

Angnix wrote:
I just called environmental services, they said others from here have recently complained...

There seems to be an overwhelming case against the landlord.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 10:53 pm

Pepe wrote:
Angnix wrote:

Evidence.
If water can be seen dripping from the ceiling, make a video.

I've videoed it more than once... I've even had two others witness it themselves.

What's horrible is over this I had one of the biggest meltdowns I have ever had and ended up in the ER for it. Got a new diagnosis of Adjustment Disorder... Sigh...

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 11:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Call the health department. Ask them how to send the videos.

Exactly. With the potential for mold, the health department will take a keen interest.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 2:07 am

It’s time to speak to an attorney versed in tenancy law, in addition to the local building inspector. AND the local and state health department.

I’d also be looking for another place
To live.