Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 10:21 am

I learned of this grad program out west starting fall of next year, and they are very interested in me! For a Master's in Science Communication and Environmental Education! I have a Zoom meeting with them this afternoon.

Then there is this Michigan job with UofM setting up camera traps and teaching kids about it...

Which is better?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 10:36 am

Does the Michigan job start next fall too, or sooner? Could you do the Michigan one until you start grad school in fall 2021?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 12:29 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
Does the Michigan job start next fall too, or sooner? Could you do the Michigan one until you start grad school in fall 2021?

The Michigan job is hiring soon but right now is remote and it lasts for a year... So both might work!! !

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 1:15 pm

^ That could be perfect!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 2:49 pm

Umm the grad program isn't ideal because they said for someone with physical issues, it may not be possible to fully accommodate me...

Now the UofM job starts off as remote because of covid, and it involves setting up camera traps in urban environments... I had a job in Ohio that was mostly bird work, but part of the job was setting up camera traps in urban parks, then analyzing the footage. Plus it's one year with possible renewal...

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 3:51 pm

^ Oh that's too bad about the possible physical requirements. I felt limited in my choices for grad school because of physical limitations too (Geology which often requires field work). I didn't disclose to them, but was very worried about not being able to meet their expectations due to my illnesses.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 12:17 pm

Actually, the professor wants me to contact disability services for accommodation... They are still really interested in me!! !

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 12:21 pm

That's great!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 12:56 pm

Angnix wrote:
Actually, the professor wants me to contact disability services for accommodation... They are still really interested in me!! !

Wonderful news!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 4:00 pm

I think I'm gonna pursue this... I always wanted my Master's... This program would give me a Master's in Environmental Education and Science Communication!

I've already got three people willing to write letters of recommendation and everything... I meet all the requirements too, like my Bachelor's GPA was high enough, etc...

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 4:11 pm

^ It's great that you are able to do it! I wish I were in grad school instead of my boring job :P .

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 5:06 pm

It's not a research grad program though.... It's a one year program that doesn't even require you to have a GRE, but with a degree like that, I could get a job in the Education or Educational material creater fields, I'm great at those things!! !

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 5:06 pm

That sounds great. I wish you luck. My master's has certainly helped find more opportunities for me.

Just a note, when you finish, you have two years in which you are eligible for the Federal Pathways programs that gives recent grads a way into Federal service.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 5:13 pm

The GRE was a major annoyance :lol: . Any program that doesn't require it gets to thumbs up from me!

It sounds like it will open up a lot of opportunities for you :) .

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 3:17 am

I’ve noticed over the past decade or three, that there more schools of graduate studies that no longer accept the GRE as one of their standards for admissions. For example, Shippensburg University of PA, where I received my MS, uses the Miller Analogies Test as part of their admissions process (at least, they still did last time I looked at their graduate catalogue. I only wished they did when I started there back in 1983. Besides, the Shipp wasn’t even on my radar at the time. I was initially accepted at SUNY-Geneseo, since they had a program specializing in music libraries, in conjunction with the Eastman School of Music’s Silbey Library. Unfortunately, I got the news 3 weeks later the Geneseo was eliminating their entire library science program. I panicked, and went to the first school that accepted me, which was Shippensburg. It was downhill from there, since Shipp was not accredited by the American Library Association.

I later learned that it was all politics that Shipp, or even Kutztown, never received ALA accreditation. It’s one of the reasons I have no love for the American Library Association. ALA is essentially run by the “Ivory tower” so-called liberal academics. In short, the inmates run the asylum. I flat out got tired of being treated like a 99th class citizen from a fifth world country.

And people wonder why I have such a sour outlook on life...