Asking for General Job Advice and NYC advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2020, 11:33 pm

Hello, WrongPlanet, it's been a while, I haven't had the energy to post (only could today because three day weekend, I really admire you posters who can hold down jobs and still find the energy to post something.)

I have secured temporary employment until next year as a Covid tester, the pay is okay, barely any benefits for a temp, but that's the life.

I've been getting by, perhaps talking too much, which I wish I could control.

The toughest part of my day is the commute, I travel by train to nyc and then use the subway to get to work. It is kind of stressful, I used to wear headphones to block out noise and people, but I stopped after I bumped into somebody and got cursed out (also was told by Uncle to be more aware and be careful in NYC).

Advice for how to deal with the beggars would be helpful, I was fine giving money until a beggar put his hand on my shoulder out of nowhere to stop me(I still don't know why he targeted me as I didn't even look at him he just blindsided me. I couldn't even hear him over my headphone music.), (I stupidly still gave him money as I was simply following my routine of giving to the first person that asks in a day a dollar, because I know I am lucky to have a job. Still, the event has made me very adverse to beggars, I don't like people touching me.) The advice my Uncle gave me was to not give and always to say "Sorry, I have no money." or else I'd become a target for beggars. I don't mind giving, but if it results in beggars targeting me, I don't want to give.

Any advice in coping with the sensory overload issues (especially as nyc reopens and things get worse) or general work advice would be much appreciated.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)