Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2021, 3:46 pm

LisaM1031 wrote:
I am not formally diagnosed but I strongly suspect I’m on the spectrum. I also grew up with a mother who was a malignant narcissist and a father with addiction problems. I’ve noticed from spending time in narcissistic recovery communities online and even from a few reddit threads, that an unusually high number of people claiming to be victims of narcissistic abuse are on the autism spectrum. Has anybody else noticed this correlation? I wonder if it’s because signs of CPTSD from being abused can mimic ASD. Or maybe people on the ASD spectrum are more likely to be scapegoated?

People on the spectrum are very sensitive. Narcissists tend to choose the most sensitive as the person they want to leech energy off. Hope that helps.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 4:29 pm

LisaM1031 wrote:
I am not formally diagnosed but I strongly suspect I’m on the spectrum. I also grew up with a mother who was a malignant narcissist and a father with addiction problems. I’ve noticed from spending time in narcissistic recovery communities online and even from a few reddit threads, that an unusually high number of people claiming to be victims of narcissistic abuse are on the autism spectrum. Has anybody else noticed this correlation? I wonder if it’s because signs of CPTSD from being abused can mimic ASD. Or maybe people on the ASD spectrum are more likely to be scapegoated?

I don't know, but I suspect some Aspies would be easy targets and some impossible. I can't imagine myself falling for a narcissist's tricks because although I usually appear quite friendly on the surface, I'm rather suspicious of people's motives in general, and intolerant of anybody who makes me uncomfortable. I'm assuming that narcissists have to get the target to trust them in order to hatch their schemes, and I rarely trust anybody in the sense of particularly believing them to be sincere, I just knowingly take what seem like reasonable risks with people.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 9:49 am

I have fell victim to abuse from narcissistic individuals before, both in my family and outside. Once you can sort them out, protecting oneself from them becomes a priority. I no longer see part of my extended family just to get away from them.

Currently, I have to deal with a boss who definitely shows the dark triad personality traits. He is a special type of bully that hides behind his power so you never get a chance to defend yourself from his subtle (and not so subtle) attacks. He likes to stack the deck in his favor regardless if it is legal or not. In a way, he is the perfect politician. Dark triad members are the worst to have to deal with.

Everyone on the spectrum really needs to be weary of those individuals in that category. They are our kryptonite.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 2:28 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
I have fell victim to abuse from narcissistic individuals before, both in my family and outside. Once you can sort them out, protecting oneself from them becomes a priority. I no longer see part of my extended family just to get away from them.

Currently, I have to deal with a boss who definitely shows the dark triad personality traits. He is a special type of bully that hides behind his power so you never get a chance to defend yourself from his subtle (and not so subtle) attacks. He likes to stack the deck in his favor regardless if it is legal or not. In a way, he is the perfect politician. Dark triad members are the worst to have to deal with.

Everyone on the spectrum really needs to be weary of those individuals in that category. They are our kryptonite.

Sadly, our current system supports sociopathic bosses. I could kick the public for tolerating the problem. Even Tory / Republican voters usually have horror stories about the rotten bosses they've known, if you can get them talking about their work experiences.

As for keeping away from horrible members of the extended family, personally I've never felt much inclination to accept them any more than I accept people I'm not related to. If somebody keeps giving me a bad time, their position in my family tree is very unlikely to give them a ticket to involvement in my life. I have enough trouble as it is from people who bring it to me without wishing to.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2021, 2:28 am

I am a victim of a narcissist, 10 years now - it’s hell!

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2021, 12:58 am

I was a victim of a narcissistic parter for 10 years. I got out but had to leave my child behind to do it. Communication with my child is better now after years of not being good at all. Very painful experience!! !

Looking back I find it amazing that I couldn't see the problems from the beginning. But then narcissists are good at manipulating and seeming like something other than themselves. They can certainly see us from a mile away. They pick on those they know they can use. They are looking for a "perfect mirror" to see themselves as they wish they were: perfect. We fill that role well.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 3:21 pm

so there must have been the odd sock puppet around these parts over the years?