Page 7 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 11:48 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
HacKING wrote:
-Dislike of collectivism.
Many aspies are fiercely individualistic, be it in interests or attitude. The left's worldview is based on collectivism and compliance to a group identity, and includes proposals that often tread on individual liberties such as freedom of speech. This may push away an aspie who believes strongly in individualism.

Funny, because most political analysis puts Trump in the Authoritarian Right, and proposals do a lot that can harm people on their individual liberties, like straight up banning transgender people from all positions in the military and trying to persecute everyone that criticises him. And have you seen the Trump rallies, they are super collectivism, but there is a bit of a difference between large collective bodies behind mostly a charismatic figure, and wanting collective policies that would help everybody regardless of the social power poll.

HacKING wrote:
-Watching liberals try to debate.
This was a big one for me. All over the place both in my personal interactions and others' online, I've seen a consistent lack of civility and coolheadedness among those on the left. I'm not saying it's exclusive to them but anecdotally it seems much more common for the left to get very emotional which is... highly illogical.

Have you seen him in the debates? You call how he acted as being prime examples of civility? You even said "may feel that Trump is too abrasive and emotional in style", and this is a man that whines whenever someone portrays him in a way that he does not like.

HacKING wrote:
-His unorthodox style.
Many aspies are also unorthodox in their own style, so they may relate to somebody like him who says whatever is on his mind no matter how bizzare it is.

The quirky defense? People find him interesting because he wants to nuke a hurricane or inject cleaning agents (bleach) into the body?

HacKING wrote:
-He is anti elite/anti establishment.
We've all met those snooty, pretentious individuals that patronize and mock us. Maybe it's over our ASD or maybe it's something else, but society is rife with those who feel they are intellectually superior to others. This elitist attitude permeates all of our entertainment-media complex, and as we know that same complex hates Trump. So by siding with Trump, it can often feel like siding against all the people in our lives who have treated us as if we were less than them.

He might have not been part of the elite/establishment of politics at the start, but he was surely part of the "rich" elite born with a silver spoon. He super thinks of himself to superior to other people, he has literally said that only he can save everyone, and very much mocks everyone he sees as bellow him, while he sucks up with rhetoric to people that worship him. His administration is even him trying to create his own elite as he requires everyone to just be loyal to him, his own family, and remove anyone that does things he does not like even if it is just their job.

HacKING wrote:
-Resistance to change.
Trump's opponents want to radically change the fabric of America. To somebody with ASD who is content with the current order, the sweeping changes they propose may simply be "too different" for them.

Perhaps this is one that makes the most sense, although it does kind of reject the whole idea that Trump was going to "change" the way things were to make things great. Generally this explains why older people in general vote for conservatism, they are afraid of change. But why would somebody with ASD who feels like the current order is screwing them over and that conservative change would screw them over more, would vote for him?

I am not saying that these perceived reasons are not why an Aspie might feel like they are for Trump, in fact I think that it can be the perfect little story of creating a narrative that you can tell yourselves that makes you feel like you are part of some great story. That you can accuse those on the opposite political spectrum as being victim of groupthink, while you can ignore the enormous groupthink of MAGA, rationalising it as common sense, while everyone who disagrees is a Trump hater, even the scientists.

Well put.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 12:08 am

Here would be my take, both pro's and cons:
Pros:
-Passed right to try laws
-Passed Economic Opportunity Zones law (the overall legislation sucked)
-Lowered Corporate Tax Rates (the US only makes $400 billion off of it, would have been better to abolish it or replace it with a deferral system like Estonia, but I digress)
-Supports Drug Imports
-Criminal Justice Reform
-Gorsuch and Barrett are pretty decent
-Really good chance of a pro-crypto and pro gold chairwoman running the Fed in his second term
-Potential Backdoor Privatization of SSN (I know others have mentioned about him gutting funding, but outside going with something like superannuation like in Australia, SSN is toast or at the very least will be eaten up by inflation)
-Alternative to Encouraging the Libertarian Party to go SJW by Punishing Them at the Polls
-Reclassified Federal Workers as At-Will
-Won't limit 401ks and will not raise capital gains

Cons:
-Not the Best on the Second Amendment
-Wants to Ban Encryption
-Signed FOSTA into Law
-Anti Section 230
-Bad on Eminent Domain
-Reaction to Covid was Weak at Best
-Russiagate
-The Tax Bill was Botched
-the Platinum Plan seemed like vote buying
-Immigration and Tariff approaches are lackluster

I will say that if the US is to adopt a crypto dollar, I would rather have fed chairwoman Shelton at the helm instead of MMT crackheads that have been in office the past 15 years or so. (in fairness I also worry Trump would push for a weaker dollar, but so did Reagan and Bush).