Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 4:12 am

Despite being diagnosed I still have my doubts. It stems from not identifying with the ultra confident 'social media personality' types, or the extremely disabled level 3 types.

Maybe it's because that middle group pales recognition wise vs the types previously mentioned .

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 7:20 am

The story of my life has been that I have been just outside the whatever it is to qualify for whatever it happens to be, or I finally get to qualify and then whatever it is has ended just before I reach the place where I am supposed to get it.
It is why I am so surprized to find some of the hidden struggles have been autistic traits because I never knew. I mean... Well. To struggle so hard to achieve something but fail just outside the area that qualifies...

I remember cycling. I wanted to get the 50 in 4 certificate with the local cycling club. 50 miles in 4 hours.
Now these did not come up that often, but I wanted to get the certificate.
My first attempt my rear mech (Due to wear because of high milage) happened to miss its end stop pin and mangle itself into my rear wheel. Fortunately someone who I later worked with in the first bicyxle shop I worked at happened to have the right tools to shorten my chain so I could proceed without the rear mech and be in a single gear. I got back to the cycling club just outside the time so I missed out, and I then rode the ten miles back home. I was in school when I tried this attempt so I was around the age of 14 to 16 at the oldest, and the whole attempt for me as I had to cycle to the club and back was a 70 mile run.

The second attempt. There were road racers using it for training from several clubs. I had a cheapie bike. Hardly able to keep up with them. Unknown to me was the large group of cyclists had split, and Iwas following these professional or semi professional riders. I did not know where I was going so I was relying on those riders. I was still relatively young. About 17 or 18. I followed them for about 15 to 20 miles but they were slipstreaming each other and I don't do slipstreaming as I hate being bunched in, so eventually they had a big advantage and my energy levels were depleating, as I had to put insome 200% effort just to follow them if ai was not being part of the group (Example. Have you watched how quickly lone riders can be caught up by a group in the Tour De France or other races?)
Anyway. This was not supposed to be a race. It was supposed to be an afternoons touring run. Well. Having lost the racing group nearly half way around, the main touring group were miles behind. (I did not know at the time). Being lost I carried on going ad did an extra ten to fidteen miles before coming back round in a much longer loop and I eventually rejoined a slower touring group who were not bothering much about the certificate, and got back to the club just outside the 4 hours... Again!

So my third attempt came a few years later. I was in my early 20's and in my prime. The club book said "All saturday runs start at 2pm in rhe afternoon and all sunday runs start at 10am".
So I turned up at 2pm. No one else there. Then a tall local man who lives nearby who was a good cyclist happened to see me and asked why I was there. I showed him the club book, that there was a 50 in 4 and I was determined to get my certificate. He told me that they had all set off in the morning.
I was soo dissapointed as the club had not told me anything, but he said "Tell you what. I am up for it. I will vouch for you. Lets give it a try!" so we did.
Well, the both of us were enjoying it and taking turns to go in front to shelter the other from the wind. He had an electronic cycle computer (Shows speed and distance etc) which were relatively new back then. We decided to take a much longer route in a big loop but when his computer reached 50 miles we would record the time. Both he and I belted it round as we were really feeling fine! We did it in two and a half hours. We happened to be fairly close to where I lived so rather then me cycling back to the club and coming home we parted there and cycled home. I think I had about 5 miles and he had about the same.
Then came the anual general meeting so everyone aas there. I mentioned about the 50 in 4 and how we had done it. The club chairman (Who I later found out when I took a committee position that he kept over ruling any committee decision) said "You can't get a certificate. We did it in the morning". I showed him the club handbook which clearly stated that saturday runs started at 2pm and he had not informed me that the run was in the morning. He said "We can't prove you did it and there is no way to record your time". Then the guy stood up and vouched for me and told him our exact time to the second.
The chairman then said "You have done it in less then 3 hours so are dissqualified" and that was that.
I looked up the rules. No where could I find in the handbook anything about a minimum time.
So I never did get my certificate.
The same went for mountain bike racing where I always finished in very strong and unexpectedly high positions (As I was classed as a youth but I would ride in the adults sports class which would be mixed with professional riders so even thoug I would finish with strings of professional riders behind me I would get no points unless I came in the first, second or third positions, which was not fair to mix the sports and the professional riders because they had top class bikes given to them. We had to buy our own and just to buy a bike that was better then cheap was all we could afford... Some bikes I was overtaking cost thousands of pounds, where my bike cost just £300 and later £400. (Budget mountain bikes were around £170 to £240 in those days)).

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 27 Oct 2020, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 7:27 am

firemonkey wrote:
Despite being diagnosed I still have my doubts. It stems from not identifying with the ultra confident 'social media personality' types, or the extremely disabled level 3 types.

Maybe it's because that middle group pales recognition wise vs the types previously mentioned .

Hey. perhaps it would be an idea to read up on the subject, as reading books such as "The Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome" by Tony Attwood may give you a better understanding of the condition, its features and complexities.

With a greater knowledge of the condition, you will likely start to see the symptoms or features in your own condition, and thus have the greater advantage of having a better understanding as to why you suffer from these problems and finally accept the diagnosis and know that it is not a derogatory term but a simple diagnosis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 7:53 am

I feel that most of us here are "stuck in the middle."

I certainly am----but was fortunate to get a civil service job early in life that didn't require too much social skills.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 8:50 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Hey. perhaps it would be an idea to read up on the subject, as reading books such as "The Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome" by Tony Attwood may give you a better understanding of the condition, its features and complexities.

With a greater knowledge of the condition, you will likely start to see the symptoms or features in your own condition, and thus have the greater advantage of having a better understanding as to why you suffer from these problems and finally accept the diagnosis and know that it is not a derogatory term but a simple diagnosis.

Thanks for your reply. It's more a case of identifying rather than denial ,or seeing it as derogatory. I don't in any way deny that I have symptoms. Things seem to be dominated by those who are technically impaired but functioning very well, and the parents of low/very low 'functioning' adults/children .

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 9:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I certainly am----but was fortunate to get a civil service job early in life that didn't require too much social skills.

My father was a civil servant. Ended up as British consul general in Atlanta.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 9:14 am

I'm going to have my 40th anniversary at my agency. I've never risen one iota from where I started. I was a data-entry clerk in 1980; and I'm a data entry clerk now.

I'm not some "high-flying social media personality" or anything like that.

I feel like---had I been less "disabled"---that I would have attained at least a supervisory position after working 40 years at the same place.

I'm not saying this to "feel sorry" for myself. I'm just saying that I have "islands of ability"---but that my disability prevented me from being any sort of leader or teacher, anywhere. I feel fortunate that I will be getting a pension from my job in about 2 years.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 9:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm going to have my 40th anniversary at my agency. I've never risen one iota from where I started. I was a data-entry clerk in 1980; and I'm a data entry clerk now.

I'm not some "high-flying social media personality" or anything like that.

I feel like---had I been less "disabled"---that I would have attained at least a supervisory position after working 40 years at the same place.

I'm not saying this to "feel sorry" for myself. I'm just saying that I have "islands of ability"---but that my disability prevented me from being any sort of leader or teacher, anywhere. I feel fortunate that I will be getting a pension from my job in about 2 years.

That's far better than my never having been employed. It places you a cut or two above me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 9:55 am

You're making up for it now.

You are gaining insights which, unfortunately, were sort of kept from you by others in previous times.

I feel like you will do very well over the next years. Because you have gained knowledge of your self on your own initiative.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 10:37 am

Well, I think a lot of the tales out there are full of extremes, and I think a lot of it is hyped up. Most of us are probably brave cowards and clever idiots. For some reason I've not felt the desire to read many books about Aspergers Syndrome. I prefer to pick up individual ideas from WP and the occasional glance at this or that on the Web, and from observing myself and other Aspies I know.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 10:49 am

It's more like I'm a cowardly brave person. And idiotically clever.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 10:52 am

firemonkey wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

My father was a civil servant. Ended up as British consul general in Atlanta.

Isn't Atlanta that place under the sea? It is interesting to find out things from the past. My mothers fathers father (My great grandfather) went through WW1 where I think he was either designing or flying aircraft. He was a designer like his son (My grandad). Then WW2 came along and he had to then have a medical and it was found that he was blind in one eye. He never knew!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 12:24 pm

Atlanta is the largest city of, and the capital of, the US state of Georgia.

It’s closer to the mountains than the ocean.

Atlantis is the mythical undersea civilization.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 12:45 pm

firemonkey wrote:

I have been recently diagnosed. I really don't see ASD as an identity and my time at Wrong Planet has confirmed that. ASD is just a description of a subset of characteristics I have. But while those characteristics impact my life, those are not the only factors that make up who I am. It is part of me, not all of me.

Note, I do not share many of the challenges you have. I do not think disability is simply a state of mind. Compared to others here, I am very fortunate.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 1:24 pm

For me it's where I fit/can identify with re the ASD, rather than that being the totality of who I am .

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 2:33 pm

firemonkey wrote:

What IS an "ultra confident social media personality type" anyway?

If you mean those aspies you see doing shows on UTube they may look good in front of a mic and or on camera, but most of them are not highly successful in life in general.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 27 Oct 2020, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.