What About Your Autism Impairs You Most?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What About Your Autism Impairs You Most?
Social interaction 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
Social communication 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Verbal communication 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Nonverbal communication 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Repetitive behavior 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Restricted interests 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Rigid routines 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Sensory issues 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
Other (describe below) 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 93

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 4:10 pm

How does your autism affect you?

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 4:50 pm

I set out to pick just 1 or 2 options but as I went down the list they all seemed pretty equal for me, so I failed and checked all. Sorry, I ruin statistics :oops: .

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 5:10 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
I set out to pick just 1 or 2 options but as I went down the list they all seemed pretty equal for me, so I failed and checked all. Sorry, I ruin statistics :oops: .

I checked all too because my autism is such that I can't pull apart the symptoms.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 5:52 pm

Executive functioning.

All other traits can be compensated for me.

Yes, even shutdowns and meltdowns. More like, I figured how to navigate with overwhelm and encumbrance overtime.

Yes, even complex social interactions and related to that thanks to various experiences and maturity
But I need more executive functioning to access all my compensatory techniques to fill the huge blanks manually.

Yes, even low verbal IQ. My performance IQ is high enough for that, and the physical means to utilize said PIQ. So... No motor issues here, no oral and speech related issues for me.
If I couldn't, speech or not, I might've been diagnosed with a language learning disability.
People might've figured that I had a form of echolalia or mistook it as some form of aphasia had I've been too vulnerable to overwhelm.

Yes, even anything concerning chaos and unpredictability. But in this case, it cannot be helped.
Took my entire childhood and teen years that I don't live in a monochromic world -- there's a much deeper reason why it's called Filipino time is called Filipino time...

As for repetitive behaviors and sensory issues, I can afford it.
The former isn't troublesome, the latter least of worries. My body or my head can take much or more than enough.
But a self-regulating body would just make my life immensely easier than any routines and predictability ever exists so far.

And I'm a very good compensator.
Also, otherwise, I got no comorbidities -- that are likely even permanent -- via autism itself or otherwise, which is an edge itself than just any mild autism.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 5:57 pm

Sensory stuff.

My level of social issues can be worked around by not having a social life. And that doesn't bother me.

Same mostly with my level of exec functioning although I have to set an alarm to tell me when to have my meds.

But sensory stuff can be out of the blue & is physically painful to me.

It creates meltdowns.

I avoid it as much as I can but when something is 'sprung' on me such as 'surprise' lighting somewhere or an overly bright day without my glasses etc... I can't handle that.

I have the brightest glasses the optician offers.

It makes me sad as there are parts of the world I will never visit or revisit. Anywhere bright. So either very warm places or very snowy places.

Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 5:58 pm

I just checked sensory issues because I've learnt to live with the others (i.e. minimize their presence in my life). Routines and rigid behaviours are more a way of living that I enjoy. As for all the social shortcomings, rather than straining myself for other people's sake, i picked out 2 people I care about and spend my little energy on them. It's enough.

Sensory issues are hard. Maybe the only way to avoid them would be sitting in a quiet, dark room all the time only eating white bread and pineapple juice.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 6:16 pm

What impairs me the most is that I can't seem to be able to have conversations with people on a "professional" level. I can't really adapt to professional situations. I'm always on the same "level," which is pretty casual, rather than professional.

This is probably why I was never promoted on my job, even though I know my job backwards and forwards.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 6:23 pm

I think my anxiety and overthinking is basically the only thing that holds me back. That and maybe my fear of some loud noises (like I try to avoid electric bells, as they TERRIFY me and it's not something I've grown out of).

Otherwise, I'm pretty high-functioning.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 6:34 pm

Executive dysfunction causes the most distress internally and causes everything I do to be fraught with inner anxiety. The toll on my health is enormous. Like Edna said, everything else I can either compensate for or don’t really care about.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 6:51 pm

Forming and maintaining relationships of any kind. I'm fine talking to people if I need something or I need to give or tell them something but I'm bad at normal friendly conversation with most people and I'm not good at getting close to or keeping in contact with the few I can talk to.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 7:13 pm

Quote:
What impairs me the most is that I can't seem to be able to have conversations with people on a "professional" level. I can't really adapt to professional situations. I'm always on the same "level," which is pretty casual, rather than professional.

I can kind of relate to this. It got me in trouble in elementary school.

With writing I have the opposite problem because I haven't posted on the internet very much and I'm mainly used to writing for school.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 7:26 pm

livingwithautism wrote:

I checked all too because my autism is such that I can't pull apart the symptoms.

Yes exactly, they seem so intertwined.

kraftiekortie wrote:

This is probably why I was never promoted on my job, even though I know my job backwards and forwards.

I almost have the opposite problem. I'm too formal/professional and can't seem to shut it off as appropriate. Those around me seem to master more casual and cool speak while remaining appropriate, but I can't find that line and so I mess it up when I try to tone it down.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 7:39 pm

Partial shutdowns, shutdowns and burnouts. The burnouts have been the hardest, as shutdowns may effect the rest of the day where I need to take things easy, but burnouts take years to recover from in my experience. (Other people can recover from a burnout in a matter of weeks. Not my personal experience but everyone is different).

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 1:51 am

I set out to pick just 1 or 2 options but as I went down the list they all seemed pretty equal for me, so I failed and checked them all. Sorry, I ruin statistics :oops: .
I figured I'd be checking one or two as well. Ended up checking them all as well.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Oct 2020, 2:14 am

Sensory issues and executive functioning difficulties are my lead.
The rest I've learned to live with.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 2:32 am

Kind of pointless to ask what disables people the most and also allow people to choose every single poll option.