Page 2 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 11:26 am

I can only play very basically. Started out teaching myself the intro to “46&2” by Tool, then took a beginner’s guitar class at our local community college, pretty much only know how to play that and the things in the lesson book. I’m borrowing an acoustic guitar from a family friend, not sure what kind it is. I haven’t played for a while because one of the strings broke and I haven’t gotten around to replacing it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 11:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^BTW thank you :) for the advice about "cowboy chords" as that is new to me. :study:

You're welcome. Generally they're not the 'preferred' voicing but they're still a version of said chord. Besides, if you were to play with someone else, having them play the 'standard' voicing while you play an alternate will sound bigger than if you both played the same chords all the same way.

i hope sometime before i die i meet another equally inept guitarist to share some simple tunes with.

How about an inept banjo picker? :D

One reason I play banjo and not guitar is because my hands are small and I don't have any strength in my little finger. So I frequently use what you all are calling "cowboy" cords. :D

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2020, 12:12 pm

Sounds like a band :mrgreen:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 2:26 pm

Here's a guitar string tension calculator.

https://tension.stringjoy.com/

You can also order custom sized string sets intended to work for specific tunings.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 2:33 pm

My main instrument are drums and percussion but I also play guitar, bass, synthesizer and clarinet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 1:02 am

blazingstar wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^BTW thank you :) for the advice about "cowboy chords" as that is new to me. :study:

You're welcome. Generally they're not the 'preferred' voicing but they're still a version of said chord. Besides, if you were to play with someone else, having them play the 'standard' voicing while you play an alternate will sound bigger than if you both played the same chords all the same way.

i hope sometime before i die i meet another equally inept guitarist to share some simple tunes with.

How about an inept banjo picker? :D

One reason I play banjo and not guitar is because my hands are small and I don't have any strength in my little finger. So I frequently use what you all are calling "cowboy" cords. :D

i am sure you can handle a baritone ukulele as well, not much difference in size between the two. only 4 low-tension strings to worry about.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 1:06 am

nadroJ wrote:
My main instrument are drums and percussion but I also play guitar, bass, synthesizer and clarinet.

what do you think of this clarinet?

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 10:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
nadroJ wrote:

what do you think of this clarinet?

I am amateur, When I play I play random notes to guitar to make it sound more spacey on Audacity and add echo and reverse-bounce delay for bouncyness :bounce: , this is very droney and bassy clarinet and melodic , it's good, that's all I can say! This dude playing a sub-contrabass saxophone to jazz . OMG! Amazing! :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 11:34 am

Lisa's gonna need a stool to play that. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Nov 2020, 1:39 pm

The bravest thing I ever played was children violin.
I never took even half a lesson on playing violin, I just knew how to tune it - and then I invented a simple riff that was all on open strings and matched the song we were singing :mrgreen:
That was fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 2:20 pm

magz wrote:
The bravest thing I ever played was children violin.
I never took even half a lesson on playing violin, I just knew how to tune it - and then I invented a simple riff that was all on open strings and matched the song we were singing :mrgreen:
That was fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'd definitely need fret markers to play a violin. :ninja:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 2:26 pm

I played violin all the way through high school. High School orchestras, a string quartet, etc. Then I tried to learn Irish fiddling and I couldn't keep it in tune.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 4:42 pm

I play nylon-strung guitar when I sing. It's an Alhambra. I got it 15 years ago for £90 off a Spanish student who was moving back home- no idea what it's worth, but I've never played a guitar I like better. Mixture of fingerpicking and clawhammer styles- I rarely play lead lines or venture to the higher frets, but I'm pretty good at coming up with new picking patterns.

I also have an old beater of an electric bass in the cupboard from when I was in a punk band. I was awful at at it. My amp is a Fender Rumble 40, which is great: light as a feather but actually sounds almost as loud as the 400 watt monsters they had in the rehearsal rooms.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 4:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
Classical guitar.
Not much recently, my children have very different taste from me :/

as a journeyman guitarist, would you say that after 3 years of no progress, that one should just give up, that one simply lacks the genes for it?

Not necessarily.
Training your hands to handle guitar can take time and effort.
How often do you play?

for the first two years, every day, but my left hand and fingers could never tolerate more than an hour of struggling to bend, tops, and i'd have to take frequent breaks and shake out my left hand. i have a MUCH easier and more natural time with the baritone uke. the tenor guitar [classical with nylon] is just too stiff-strung for comfort, esp. the higher strings. but i can play a baritone uke easily for an hour. i was able to progress on the uke but not the guitar.

Maybe baritone uke is just "your instrument"? I know plenty of people who tried several different kinds of instrument - sax, flute, bass, viola, drums or whatever- before they found one they could get on with. I struggled in vain with the cello for years. Bari uke is a gorgeous and under-rated instrument. I need to do more with mine. The one problem seems to be finding tabs / chords for it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 10:02 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
magz wrote:
Classical guitar.
Not much recently, my children have very different taste from me :/

as a journeyman guitarist, would you say that after 3 years of no progress, that one should just give up, that one simply lacks the genes for it?

Not necessarily.
Training your hands to handle guitar can take time and effort.
How often do you play?

for the first two years, every day, but my left hand and fingers could never tolerate more than an hour of struggling to bend, tops, and i'd have to take frequent breaks and shake out my left hand. i have a MUCH easier and more natural time with the baritone uke. the tenor guitar [classical with nylon] is just too stiff-strung for comfort, esp. the higher strings. but i can play a baritone uke easily for an hour. i was able to progress on the uke but not the guitar.

Maybe baritone uke is just "your instrument"? I know plenty of people who tried several different kinds of instrument - sax, flute, bass, viola, drums or whatever- before they found one they could get on with. I struggled in vain with the cello for years. Bari uke is a gorgeous and under-rated instrument. I need to do more with mine. The one problem seems to be finding tabs / chords for it.

have you tried plucking the cello? i heard players plucking and even strumming it in jazz. my baritone uke [kala] feels and sounds a bit like an alto guitar.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 11:48 am

technique is kinda rusty, but a personalized les paul studio is had, with flat wound strings, and lace nitro hemi pickups almost ever set to single coil at the bridge, typically played in a classical sitting position with a foot stool to be able to reach all of the higher frets cleanly.

classical guitar method, music theory(trying to work up to jazz theory, as improv is of interest.), and learning solo violin sheet music(gives ideas for soloing, while serving as good technical whetstones, and endurance training.) are worked on for a couple hours a day during weekdays(typically unplugged), while the game “rocksmith 2014” has been fooled around with on weekends through headphones lately(apartment).

at some point, fretless bass guitar, and keyboard, are also of interest to acquire and learn, as to be able to compose, and record, full pieces.