Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 6:37 pm

I hate the way certain NTs have used this word.

It means something specific.

It is physically painful for those experiencing it.

It is not just a tantrum.

They need to stop using our word like that.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 6:15 am

"Our word".

Meltdowns aren't tantrums, but they are things that are experienced by everyone. Just more frequently by autists, because we operate closer to the edge than normal for most people.

But if you push someone to that point, they're going to have a meltdown, whatever their neurotype. Because they are human.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 7:46 am

I've never come across an NT who has them for the reasons we do. I've never even come across an NT who can see in half light, let alone having sensory overload.

They come about because of sensory overload.

No adult should have a tantrum.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 8:08 am

No. *Some* meltdowns happen because of sensory overload. Maybe all of yours do. But don't think that your experience is reflective of everyone.

A meltdown is what happens when circumstances overwhelm a person's ability to deal with them. That happens to everybody. It doesn't have to be sensory in nature.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 9:23 am

A sensory meltdown and a tantrum are different things.

What is the difference between 'circumstances overwhelming you' and having a tantrum?

Children tantrum when they can't get their own way.

Are you talking about mental illness or healthy, NT people? Because what I define as a 'breakdown' might be what you define as a 'meltdown'.

I think it is unhelpful to use such language when describing mentally healthy, NT people acting badly. It lessens the sympathy towards people who are genuinely in physical or mental distress.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 12:56 pm

I don't think meltdown is "our" word. I seem to recall seeing that word used to describe general behavior (not autism-specific behavior) long before I ever saw it used to describe an autistic meltdown.

Surely there is one meaning of the word that is specific to autism, but I don't think the word itself is specific to autism.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 1:43 pm

KT67,

Being overwhelmed by your situation to the point you can no longer function isn't "behaving badly". It doesn't matter what's causing it. Autistic people don't just have *sensory* issues, and a meltdown brought on by the fact that you can't explain what's wrong with you in a stressful situation doesn't cease to be a meltdown because of that.

A breakdown is something different. Meltdowns are time limited in a way breakdowns are not.

Again, autists are not a different species to neurotypicals! The behaviours seen in autistic people under extreme stress are the same ones that are found in neurotypicals under extreme stress *are the same ones found in animals under extreme stress*. We just have fewer reserves to cope, so we hit the wall sooner.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 2:31 pm

Spoiled brats have tantrums. They are throwing fits because they are being manipulative trying to get things they want and can't have.

Everyone has meltdowns, whether they are nt or Autistic or anything else. As Autistics, we have them a lot more frequently because we get overwhelmed to that point much more frequently. Meltdowns are also not only caused by sensory overload, they can be caused by a thousand different kinds of overload. Sensory overload might be one of the most common causes for us but even we have meltdowns from many different kinds of overload as well.

A neurological breakdown is not a meltdown. Nts have them as well but we are much more susceptible to them because we get overwhelmed so much more severely and so much more often. A breakdown is a huge massive ordeal where the mind and body completely stop functioning in a normal or productive way for a long period of time, like many days or weeks or months or sometimes even years. Some people never recover from them. I never fully recovered from my second massive Autistic burnout breakdown. I don't know if I will ever fully recover from it. It has left me extremely disabled. For an NT a breakdown might happen once or so in a lifetime if at all, where a meltdown might happen fairly often depending on stress levels. For Autistics, we are much more susceptible to breakdowns so even though some of us might not ever have one, it would be much more likely that we would since we live on a much more intense stress threshold.

It is very important that the words meltdown and tantrum not be interchanged or confused. They are not synonymous at all and much damage has been done to the Autistic community because people confuse them. A meltdown is a neurological response to stress overload and it cannot be helped. A tantrum is a bratty behavioral issues which needs to be disciplined.

Meltdown is not a word that belongs to us nor is it exclusive to us. We just experience meltdowns much more frequently and sometimes much more intensely than the nt population. But they also have them.

Wreck It Ralph

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 5:24 pm

I still think it's really bad that supposed left wing people are using it in the place of 'tantrum'.

Considering it's mostly caused by something which isn't the person's fault and which is a cause of extreme distress.

People really need to quit using ableist language. YES, some of it is hard. Such as saying 'stupid' or 'crazy' for someone you dislike, hard to give that up. But I only started hearing 'meltdown' and 'triggered' about 5 years ago? Not hard to take them out of your vocab or to use them in more specific ways.

Other people seem to be really bad at using words properly. I've learnt to quit being annoyed at it if there's no moral basis to do so: they're/there/their doesn't matter, specific ocean doesn't matter. But it does matter that if I say 'I had a meltdown' people don't think 'tantrum'.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 5:48 pm

Yes, it really does matter. I was really angry beyond comprehension when I saw that Autism Speaks had replaced the word Meltdown and started using tantrum instead. Just another thing to add to the list of why I hate them. The damage that does to us is really massive.

Wreck It Ralph

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 6:21 pm

And I've decided to correct my dad when he says I had a 'breakdown'.

I had anxiety. It stopped me getting out of bed. I didn't want to die. But I didn't want to live either. I just wanted to be, to exist. Just breathing was a massive thing.

But it lasted a day. It built up into that stress over months then it went into getting better over years and with medical help and knowing I was never going back into that negative situation again.

That's something else. I'm not sure what but it doesn't feel right to call it a 'breakdown' since my dr never did and your description sounds more serious.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 6:50 pm

KT67 wrote:
And I've decided to correct my dad when he says I had a 'breakdown'.

I had anxiety. It stopped me getting out of bed. I didn't want to die. But I didn't want to live either. I just wanted to be, to exist. Just breathing was a massive thing.

But it lasted a day. It built up into that stress over months then it went into getting better over years and with medical help and knowing I was never going back into that negative situation again.

That's something else. I'm not sure what but it doesn't feel right to call it a 'breakdown' since my dr never did and your description sounds more serious.

I have experienced that feeling. To me, it sounds like emotional, mental, and psychological sheer total exhaustion.

Wreck It Ralph

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 1:49 am

KT67 wrote:
I've never come across an NT who has them for the reasons we do. I've never even come across an NT who can see in half light, let alone having sensory overload.

They come about because of sensory overload.

No adult should have a tantrum.

I have to disagree with that. Meltdowns are the same tantrums toddlers have. They come from being overloaded with emotion. Secondly, not all autistic people have them from sensory overload. Yet still have meltdowns. That'd being said there is a difference between toddlers acting like they are having a tantrum to get what they want and actually having a tantrum. I don't think that it's the sensory overload itself that causes the meltdown but the disstress and it overloads the emotional regulation which autistic people often have problems with. Therefore I'd make the case that most NTs have it. And while the distress might originate from the sensory overload just sensory overload won't cause a meltdown by itself distress will.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 2:06 am

Let's see...

Meltdown = Distress + Trigger
Tantrum = Distress + Trigger

Meltdown - Distress = Shutdown?Exhaustion?
Tantrum - Distress = Wanting/Bargain...

Meltdown - Trigger = ?Anxiety?Overwhelm?
Tantrum - Trigger = NONE?Craving?

Hmmm... :lol: :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 2:17 am

KT67 wrote:
A sensory meltdown and a tantrum are different things.

What is the difference between 'circumstances overwhelming you' and having a tantrum?

Children tantrum when they can't get their own way.

Are you talking about mental illness or healthy, NT people? Because what I define as a 'breakdown' might be what you define as a 'meltdown'.

I think it is unhelpful to use such language when describing mentally healthy, NT people acting badly. It lessens the sympathy towards people who are genuinely in physical or mental distress.

See this is just factually incorrect. If you knew anything about tantrums you'd know that that's not the case. You are confused because there are two types of tantrums the ones that come from distress of being overwhelmed with emotions and the one that children use in attempt to manipulate their parents. There's a difference. It's not something that doesn't exist. You also seem to be under the misconception that only autistic people can have tantrums ro uhh meltdowns that are caused by said distress when that simply isn't the case. Anyone can of any age. I agree there is a problem with the dilution of words. Like triggered was originally supposed to mean something that triggers ptsd. Now it just means something that people might find upsetting that being said the word has changed and its' stupid to use it to describe that because people aren't gonna think you are talking about a ptsd trigger.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 2:20 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Let's see...

Meltdown = Distress + Trigger
Tantrum = Distress + Trigger

Meltdown - Distress = Shutdown?Exhaustion?
Tantrum - Distress = Wanting/Bargain...

Meltdown - Trigger = ?Anxiety?Overwhelm?
Tantrum - Trigger = NONE?Craving?

Hmmm... :lol: :lol:

Don't think so as far as I'm concerned Meltdown = Tantrum
and like the ones kids throw to try to manipulate there parents aren't true tantrums. AFter all they are faking it. Idk about the whole meltdown shutdown connection it idk enough about shutdowns. Meltdown - trigger wouldnt' be anxiety or overwhelmed because that si the trigger??