Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 11:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....it's getting closer to 5 million now.

I feel like Trump will, most reluctantly, cede power to Biden-----but he will do anything, in the future, to try to sabotage the Biden Presidency. Just like he tried to sabotage, especially, the Obama Presidency while in power.

That would be dirty pool of him considering how accepting and supportive everyone was of his presidency :jester:

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 11:12 am

GGPViper wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:
Considering the unusual circumstances, both conceding and declaring victory should be placed on hold.

I fail to see any unusual circumstances.

- Biden stands to win the popular vote by almost 3 %, which is in the lower end, but higher - in the 20th century - than 1960, 1968, 1972 and 2004.

- Biden stands to win the electoral college by 306-232, which is higher - again in the 20th century - than 1960, 1972, 2000 and 2004 (and tied with 2016).

- The closest election in the 20th century was the 1960 election, where Kennedy won by only 0.17 percent of the popular vote. California, Hawaii, Illinois and Missouri were as close calls (or even closer) than the battleground states in 2020... but Richard M. Nixon conceded the day after the election.

That being said, it is correct that a concession is not necessary. It is not a requirement in the constitution for the transfer of office from one president to another.

What other year did it take several days to establish an outcome with ballots still being counted? What other year were there more mail-in ballots than ever before due to a coronavirus? I could go on, but I'm sure you know what unusual circumstances I'm referring to.

There is nothing unusual about mail ballots. 33 million of those were cast in the 2016 election, and the states of Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington hold elections almost entirely by mail.

The fact that more people voted by mail this year is simply "more of the same" - an increased use of an already existing method of voting in the US - which, BTW, modestly increases turnout and thus makes elections more representative.

And the delay in establishing an outcome is due to the fact that mail-in ballots were not allowed to be processed/counted until Election Day in several states, including the battleground states of Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/01/electio ... llots.html

This of course creates a backlog of votes, so the delay in counting the votes is completely expected.

That didn't answer my question, it skirted around it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 11:24 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
. Still another concern is that Trump might try to convince the governors and/or legislatures of those Republican-dominated states in which Biden won to choose electors favoring Trump despite him losing the election in those states.

This tactic is unconstitutional

Snopes - State legislatures can override the results of elections and designate whichever presidential electors they choose. - False

No, State Legislatures Cannot Overrule the Popular Vote

State Legislatures Can’t Ignore the Popular Vote in Appointing Electors - Lawfare

Hopefully you're right about this -- and hopefully even the most blatantly pro-Trump biased judges would agree that it's unconstitutional. But I wouldn't put it past Trump to try it.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 09 Nov 2020, 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 11:27 am

In case of Trump it seems ti would mean “Surrender!”. lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 11:31 am

All Trump seemed to do, throughout his Presidency, was to declare anything "fake news" which went against his interests.

He also put many of his ardent supporters under the bus. I mean people who supported him through thick and thin. Loyalty is not Trump's strong suit.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 4:06 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
In case of Trump it seems ti would mean “Surrender!”. lol
Hmm... a little satirical sarcasm may be in order...
Quote:
concede (vt): 1. to admit defeat, to surrender; 2. to admit to being a loser.
-- From the Donald J. Trump University Dictionary

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.