Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 9:39 pm

that is a good exception, but you get the :idea:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 9:57 pm

My "sharps" are currently divided into circular saws, band saws, bow saws, coping saws, 1/4" shank blades, 1/2" shank blades, with another half dozen single types handy to the vise or garden. Sharps also would include the drills, the hole saws, the files, the chisels, (wood and metal) the router bits, the dado set, the scissors, metal shears, and pneumatic nibbler, the rotary rasps and files, the hand rasps and files, the scribers, the picks, the needles and various pins, the scrapers, the knives, the planes, and various cutting pliers, but only parts of some other pliers. The abrasives are less extensive, but still quite varied. I'm glad to have those aids to finding the right one, because they are about half of the total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 10:04 pm

a suggestion, you could divide the sharps into sawing/cutting and hole-making parts. i'd prolly make a "smoothing/polishing" bin and put your planers in there along with the sanders and files. i'd put the scribers in with wherever you put your drill bits, picks/pins/needles.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 10:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
a suggestion, you could divide the sharps into sawing/cutting and hole-making parts. i'd prolly make a "smoothing/polishing" bin and put your planers in there along with the sanders and files. i'd put the scribers in with wherever you put your drill bits, picks/pins/needles.

Why would you do that?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 10:11 pm

as a means of reducing the amount of searching one must do to find them. one has a mental image of them being of one general type of function, or another.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 10:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
as a means of reducing the amount of searching one must do to find them. one has a mental image of them being of one general type of function, or another.

But, I already have them divided and remembered as they are. The drill bits number in the hundreds, and without their stands, the smallest ones could get bent, not just lost, among the big ones.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 10:26 pm

just a suggestion, you'd obviously leave the bits in their racks. but it sounds like your system works for you as-is, but perhaps could be further tweaked.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 10:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
just a suggestion, you'd obviously leave the bits in their racks. but it sounds like your system works for you as-is, but perhaps could be further tweaked.

The shop organization is working well and evolving slowly. It is the thousands of vaguely-related sentences I'm baffled by organizationally.