Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 5:23 pm

This is mostly from a UK POV. I'd be interested in hearing from people from elsewhere as well.

We care about American politics for 3 reasons:
1 It's important to care about the world in general and the way the world is going. Some of us are genuinely interested in whatever politics we hear from wherever.
2 America is one of the most (if not the most) powerful nation on earth. What your Commander in Chief chooses to do has a major impact on the world.
3 Your politics tends to affect ours (not sure if it's the same the other way around?). The 'special relationship'.

Obviously not everyone in the UK cares what happens in American politics. But quite a few people do. I think it's for those reasons above.

When the UK left the EU, I heard opinions about it from European friends as well as from people here. Because it affected the rest of Europe as well as the UK.

It's only really the smaller nations with less power that don't get talked much about by outsiders.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 7:13 pm

Well, speaking from a Danish perspective, I actually care less about US politics than I did some years ago, especially when it comes to US domestic issues. It feels like the US and much of Europe has drifted apart in recent years, so a shared identity based on "Western" values is not as strong as it has been.

US foreign policy has major implications for a lot of countries, though, and US policies on climate change, NATO and trade are of particular concern to a lot of European countries, Denmark included.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 1:34 am

I am a bit embarrassed of what is going on here, I know I personally didn't do it. But freaking hell how much more embarrassing can the Trumper republicans be. And we got 60 more days of...whatever the f**k this is, I don't even know anymore, till the new president actually gets put in office.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 1:55 am

I understand our country is the engine of the whole world. If our country crashes, the rest of the world will be affected by it. Our economy helps other economies. We make the most film, ship our products to other countries and import them and our food as well.

When I visited the UK years ago, I was surprised how much of American politics you guys were into because it was in your media, in your local newspaper, and so much American shows on TV as well and so much American film as well. It was like "Wow this is like being in America but I am in another country." It was also interesting how you would refer to America as US states depending on what location you are talking about and area. Like I somehow assumed you guys wouldn't know what Florida is or Arizona and you guys just referred them as a US state than Florida USA. Okay, I am sure you guys know what Seattle is and Denver. :wink: I wonder how many of you knew of Portland, OR before we made world wide news with the riots here in 2016 and then other US towns copying. I remember this snark thread on Reddit someone posted saying something like "Well congratulations, we made world wide news, well done" and it was linked to the BBC news.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:06 am

I don't really care.
Australia's literal existence may depend on a strong American ally. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:09 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am a bit embarrassed of what is going on here, I know I personally didn't do it. But freaking hell how much more embarrassing can the Trumper republicans be. And we got 60 more days of...whatever the f**k this is, I don't even know anymore, till the new president actually gets put in office.

Politics, period, is an embarrassment. 8O
Seriously.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:15 am

Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.

damn, I sure hope not...we already have enough on our plate, without having to ensure the continuing existence of australia.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:23 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.

damn, I sure hope not...we already have enough on our plate, without having to ensure the continuing existence of australia.

Sometimes, having the threat aware that America is an ally can be all that is needed to deter the threat from taking action...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:26 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.

An Australian military strategist believes Australia should be OK for another 9 years.
But if America and China* start a war, we will probably be dragged into it, also. 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:29 am

Brictoria wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.

Sometimes, having the threat aware that America is an ally can be all that is needed to deter the threat from taking action...

That was the case with the Indonesians, a ways back.
Indonesia was threatening war with Australia.
They backed down 48 hours later when America made it clear they would back us. 8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:40 am

Brictoria wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.

Sure, I guess there is that but still 60 more days of time for Trump and his GOP to wreck things so who knows what all exactly is going to occur in December. Certainly seems their goal is to sabotage as much as they can before getting out of office. I just hope other county allies have a back up plan that involves not depending on the U.S for anything. But even with the change in presidency we just have a broken f*ked up system so yeah find a way to not depend on America because you'll just get dragged down. At least that is how it seems right now.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:56 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.

They backed down 48 hours later when America made it clear they would back us. 8)

Are you referring to this?

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/event/i ... rly%201963.

If not this, then to what are you referring?

Cos that makes no mention of america. Or Indonesia invading Australia.

KT67 wrote:
This is mostly from a UK POV. I'd be interested in hearing from people from elsewhere as well.

We care about American politics for 3 reasons:
1 It's important to care about the world in general and the way the world is going. Some of us are genuinely interested in whatever politics we hear from wherever.
2 America is one of the most (if not the most) powerful nation on earth. What your Commander in Chief chooses to do has a major impact on the world.
3 Your politics tends to affect ours (not sure if it's the same the other way around?). The 'special relationship'.

Obviously not everyone in the UK cares what happens in American politics. But quite a few people do. I think it's for those reasons above.

When the UK left the EU, I heard opinions about it from European friends as well as from people here. Because it affected the rest of Europe as well as the UK.

It's only really the smaller nations with less power that don't get talked much about by outsiders.

These are valid points and I completely agree. But it ignores the frustrating existence of people who simply see a hot-button topic and like to press the button for entertainment. Some people do in fact endlessly ask "why?" because they have a thirst for knowledge and understanding. But there also exist people who endlessly ask "why?" just to be cheeky for lulz. The latter often claims to be the former in order to demand you indulge them. Genuine interest and curiosity is one thing. But other times, it's just a game of "poke the bear" or "rattle the cage". Hecklers.

I don't think anyone minds countries being interested in other countries. But it gets a little weird when it moves past things like "if (candidate) gets elected, their policy is to raise tarrifs on steel, and that may directly affect our economy!" or "If (party) gets elected, they have a general policy on no longer exporting certain materials that directly affects us!" and moves on to really specific items, like casting aspersions as to the supposed flaws of our voting system (without actually knowing how the voting system works), or making assumptions about what life in america is actually like, despite actual americans indicating otherwise (but certainly soaking up all the attention from americans that DO agree).

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 21 Nov 2020, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 3:36 am

Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.
Steve Irwin was your biggest export but he is gone now. Such a badass dude! Maybe the Funnel Webs, Redback Spiders, White Tail Spiders, Snakes, Venomous Plants, Great Whites, Jellyfish, can scare off any invader. Funnel Webs are hardcore motherfer's, They are definitely not a spider you want to mess around with. I think they are the 2nd or 3rd most venomous spider in the world. The Brazilian Wandering Spider and the Six Eyed Sand spider are deadlier.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 4:22 am

StayFrosty wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.
Steve Irwin was your biggest export but he is gone now. Such a badass dude! Maybe the Funnel Webs, Redback Spiders, White Tail Spiders, Snakes, Venomous Plants, Great Whites, Jellyfish, can scare off any invader. Funnel Webs are hardcore motherfer's, They are definitely not a spider you want to mess around with. I think they are the 2nd or 3rd most venomous spider in the world. The Brazilian Wandering Spider and the Six Eyed Sand spider are deadlier.

I miss him he was awesome, and yeah still rather sad he's not around anymore.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 5:00 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.

Are you referring to this?

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/event/i ... rly%201963.

If not this, then to what are you referring?

Nope.
I think it was to do with the conflict over East Timor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia ... East_Timor

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 5:05 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I don't really care.

Sure, I guess there is that but still 60 more days of time for Trump and his GOP to wreck things so who knows what all exactly is going to occur in December. Certainly seems their goal is to sabotage as much as they can before getting out of office. I just hope other county allies have a back up plan that involves not depending on the U.S for anything. But even with the change in presidency we just have a broken f*ked up system so yeah find a way to not depend on America because you'll just get dragged down. At least that is how it seems right now.

Trump wants to implement as many things he planned for before he vacates the presidency, hence the change of some of the military hierarchy, for one thing.

READ MY LIPS: Trump will NOT attempt a coup.
The idea is preposterous. :lmao: