Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 11:20 am

Brooklyn Leaders Call For Cease Fire After Mass Shooting Leaves 1 Dead, 6 Injured

Quote:
Most of those involved were only teenagers who attended a Sweet 16 birthday party.

“This holiday season, please let us have a cease fire,” one person said.

As CBS2’s Aundrea Cline-Thomas reports, Brooklyn leaders are pleading for peace after police believe two gunmen opened fire in the lobby of an Albany Avenue apartment building that was left littered with evidence markers.

“After the shooting, he cam out, he said he was stepping over bodies everywhere,” said Sharonnie Perry. She’s talking about her nephew, who was in the building but not at the party.

There was a large overflow of partygoers gathered in the hallway, scattering desperately as gunshots erupted after an argument, according to police.

The gunmen ran away.

The original Sweet 16 party was held in East New York earlier Sunday evening, and it was shut down by police. Not long after, in a separate incident, officers say a 17-year-old attendee was shot nearby. Meantime, the party was moved to Bed-Stuy.

“We need to stop the flow of illegal guns in our communities,” said Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams.

Murders are up nearly 37% when compared to this time last year, but gun arrests are also up nearly 21%.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:02 pm

I blame bad parenting and RAP music for this.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:08 pm

StayFrosty wrote:

Not sure if parody. :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:

Just the truth.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 2:29 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:

Just the truth.

I see, definitely parody.

Because violence never occurred in Brooklyn before hip-hop existed. :lol:
You've got the blame backwards, neighbourhoods like that are why music about growing up in those circumstances exists - not the other way around.

Our society created the circumstances that lead to some neighbourhoods being trapped in poverty with very few options to escape it. Blaming the parents misses the point, blaming the entertainment resulting from those circumstances eliminates any credibility you might have. Ignoring the society that allows ghettos to exist and that does nothing to improve the outcomes for people born into those circumstances basically amounts to ignoring the primary cause and trotting out sad excuses instead.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2020, 2:55 pm

The logic in America that guns should be legal to protect yourself is so backwards.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 3:20 pm

holymackerel wrote:
The logic in America that guns should be legal to protect yourself is so backwards.
More people die from blunt objects. What's your point?

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2020, 3:41 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
holymackerel wrote:

I am not saying you should ban anything capable of murder. It's just objects designed for murder being legal is like the dumbest idea ever. There's a reason USA has a massive murder rate compared to other countries.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 6:29 pm

holymackerel wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
holymackerel wrote:

I am not saying you should ban anything capable of murder. It's just objects designed for murder being legal is like the dumbest idea ever. There's a reason USA has a massive murder rate compared to other countries.
The Chinese invented the cannon. Weaponry advances over time, The days of Bows&Arrows, Swords, Clibs, Hatchets, Knives, have been limited.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 7:03 pm

holymackerel wrote:
There's a reason USA has a massive murder rate compared to other countries.

I looked up looked up which countries have the highest murder rate, and United States was about 75th on the list.

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2020, 2:17 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
holymackerel wrote:
There's a reason USA has a massive murder rate compared to other countries.

I looked up looked up which countries have the highest murder rate, and United States was about 75th on the list.

Yeah but that is compared to countries like Somalia. You have something like a 5x higher murder rate than the uk. Was it last year that you had a mass shooting every day? I just don't see what the upside is for you.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 2:34 am

I'm not the US. However since the US is 20x bigger than the UK, I'd expect it to have higher rates regarding many things.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Nov 2020, 3:03 am

US is big and very heterogenous. It's often wise to look at statistics by-state:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosm ... micide.htm
But even then, I expect urban and rural neighborhoods within the same states to differ a lot.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 3:16 am

I would imagine there are states that are much more like the UK as far as violence goes than others.

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2020, 3:30 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
I'm not the US. However since the US is 20x bigger than the UK, I'd expect it to have higher rates regarding many things.

No that was per capita

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 11:34 am

Much of this violence in my opinion is related to gangs and to drugs.

Bullets riddled a Brooklyn house party late on Sunday night, leaving one dead and six people injured — the bloodiest incident during an overnight period when shots flew across the borough.

Police found an 18-year-old woman shot in the leg; a 19-year-old male shot in the torso; an 18-year-old male shot in the leg; a 14-year-old female hit in the buttocks; a 16-year-old male shot in the torso; and a 15-year-old male shot in the leg. All were transported to area hospitals in stable condition except for the 16-year-old male who was in critical condition at Kings County Hospital. Later, a seventh victim in the shooting, a 20-year-old woman, was taken to Woodhull Hospital subsequently with a buttocks wound. She died at the hospital, police officials said.

Law enforcement sources said two men walked in on the celebration and began opening fire. Investigators are looking into a possible link to a gang rivalry.

Source: Deadly house party shooting in Brooklyn may be gang-related, cops say