Have you seen Michael Moore's "SiCKO?"

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

31 Jul 2007, 2:13 pm

UncleBeer wrote:
I can sorta see it: paying insurance every month is like betting against yourself: "I'm betting I will have a calamitous sickness this month". :?

Thats what my father did (bet he would be ok)he did not get health insurance till his first heart attack at age 54. he paid cash for his treatment and thats was still much cheaper than if he had paid premium every year. But after that the thought of a future $200,000
heart bypass bill lead him to get insurance. Now that he has made it to 65 he has Medicare so no need for major insurance.

Elemental
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2007, 3:03 pm

KimJ wrote:
But I will say that I have read about and heard some horrendous stories out of Canada and the UK about their healthcare and how it governs their standards of living. I would not want to be autistic in the UK (or Ireland) or a parent of an autistic there. They just don't seem to have a balance of power, which is what fiscal conservatives are so afraid of here if we were to socialize healthcare. Meaning, "if we're gonna pay for your healthcare, then you can't smoke, drink, have disabled kids, have cosmetic surgeries, and we're gonna decide for you why your kids are disabled and if you can have them at home".

IME, the UK national health service isn't as dystopian as you're making out, and I've found it a perfectly fine place to be autistic (your assertion about "disabled kids" makes me wonder where you're getting your news from--probably a single case that was reported out of context).

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 6:25 pm

The word "stories" doesn't equate "single case". So, please don't insinuate I'm a liar, because I was fairly clear that I came to my opinion based on more than one story and more than one country. I'm not going to search this site for the links, but I frequent this forum, the parent's forum and general forum and read and hear many stories. I also read autism blogs on a regular basis.

You can have your ASBOs and social workers that determine if your kid should go to a doctor to be assessed for autism or just that you're a bad parent with a bad kid and don't deserve a referral to the doctor. We have regions that are better or worse and the freedom to travel to where we feel we'll get the best care and understanding.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 8:30 pm

Fedaykin wrote:
I downloaded it and figured it might provide a bit of entertainment even though its content wasn't of much value, but I stopped watching when he started glorifying the Clintons, it was just too obvious it was a biased propaganda film.

are you sure you saw the same movie I did? here is part of his recent interview with Jay Leno

Aside from his burgeoning offscreen problems, Moore dropped another bombshell to Leno, saying that Harvey Weinstein—whose Weinstein company is distributing Sicko and who's also one of Hilary Clinton's biggest Hollywood supporters—asked Moore to cut scenes criticizing the Democratic presidential candidate.

The reason? Because Moore called out Clinton for purportedly accepting the most campaign donations of any senator from lobbyists representing the same private insurers and drug companies she's railed against in the past. (remember when they showed the arrows pointing to all the people lining up on stage before George W Bush came on? they arrows had the amount they had taken in pay/kick backs in dollars? Mrs Clinton was among those and came off looking pretty badly. . .)

Moore refused, and Weinstein eventually backed down. The director also announced on The Tonight Show that the Weinstein Company has agreed to donate 11 percent of Sicko's box office to help ailing 9/11 workers who have been ignored by the Bush administration.

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/ind ... a01c5c3ed6

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 12:27 pm

I am from Canada. In my middle sized city here we have 20,000 people without a family doctor! They have to go to a emergency room just to get basic health care. It is nothing to wait five or six hours to see a doctor. Mr Moore didn't show that in his movie. If you have to go to a orthopedic surgeon you have to wait five months to even see the doctor. The good news is we don't have a bill after being in the hospital. But we as tax payers pay for it. When I saw this movie I felt like it was all too good to be true. It is interesting it find out some of the movies shortcomings.
But I am glad that Mr Moore has tried to tackle another big issue.

AspieDoug
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2007, 7:04 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
I am from Canada. In my middle sized city here we have 20,000 people without a family doctor! They have to go to a emergency room just to get basic health care. It is nothing to wait five or six hours to see a doctor. Mr Moore didn't show that in his movie. If you have to go to a orthopedic surgeon you have to wait five months to even see the doctor. The good news is we don't have a bill after being in the hospital. But we as tax payers pay for it. When I saw this movie I felt like it was all too good to be true. It is interesting it find out some of the movies shortcomings.
But I am glad that Mr Moore has tried to tackle another big issue.

An honest and fair assessment of the up and downsides of socialized medicine.