Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

doll7777777
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2020, 11:56 am

Ok so i was diagnosed in 2014 when i was like 9.
i was going to post about this on my twitter to my followers but i feel like it might be too on the nose idk. i don't like giving people the idea that i'm acoustic since i can pass just fine irl and online, i just seem a little strange to most people.
anyways
i'm in sixth form for A levels now (i'm english) and making friends, seeming kind, etc etc is becoming increasingly hard (it always has been but i'm noticing it a lot more now) because i am basically completely tuned out of everything that's going on. Like i never know what the f**k is going on. when someone says something to me that's slightly offhand/unexpected it takes me like 10 seconds to register what they said, and what they meant by it, and by that time they have moved on and i just look either like a b***h who ignores people (if they're complimenting me) or if we're in lesson and there's a problem or something i have literally nothing to offer because my Brain is slow af!! !
it's super annoying because when i'm not in that environment i'm usually very receptive and quick thinking. i feel like i will fail all my classes but worst of all never be able to make friends because my processing is so incredibly slow. it is like i'm in a different universe most of the time, and i can't understand ANYTHING anyone says!!
it is very frustrating.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 3:21 pm

You have what sounds like a receptive language delay/disorder. How are you at expressing yourself when you do reply to someone and also with the written word? Usually, difficulty in replying can go hand in hand with a receptive language delay, though not always. This is all pretty common when it comes to autism, but can also be caused by other things, including trauma.

The following mentions how it can be treated ...
https://www.mindyra.com/solutions/adults/language

Further reading ...
https://www.additudemag.com/language-disorders-in-adults-symptoms-and-treatment/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 3:23 pm

You're in "A-levels" at 15? That's pretty amazing. You must be one smart kid!

Ignore the naysayers. You're in Sixth Form to get yourself into University----nothing else.

Just treat people like you want to be treated. And expect the same from everybody else.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 4:08 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 4:14 pm

Welcome.