Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

mikipetri74
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2020, 9:04 am

Hello, this is my first time using FreeBSD

I installed FreeBSD using guided zroot ZFS mirror of 4 disks. So then I reinstalled it and chose only two disks to practice making another pool of two mirrored disks, but zpool is now degraded and shows all 4 disks even though I only selected two on guided install, shows two disks labeled normally da0 da1 and other two with bunch of numbers.

What is proper way of reinstalling. And is it possible to remove these two now so I can create a new pool :)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 5:27 pm

mikipetri74 wrote:
Hello, this is my first time using FreeBSD

I installed FreeBSD using guided zroot ZFS mirror of 4 disks. So then I reinstalled it and chose only two disks to practice making another pool of two mirrored disks, but zpool is now degraded and shows all 4 disks even though I only selected two on guided install, shows two disks labeled normally da0 da1 and other two with bunch of numbers.

What is proper way of reinstalling. And is it possible to remove these two now so I can create a new pool :)

According to my boyfriend and business partner, who is a longtime FreeBSD user and sysadmin:

The easiest way is just to erase the disk and reinstall from scratch. Don't try to preserve anything.

Also, ZFS is more trouble than it's worth. Just use the default file system.

Also, what version are you using, 12.1 or 12.2? Version 12.2 is now about a month old, so should be safe to use now. (My BF had no problem upgrading to it.)