Stress and mental wellbeing among PhD students

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 2:25 pm

The mental health of university students in the United Kingdom is a topic that has drawn increasing attention in recent years. There have been influential thinktank reports, regular articles in the media, targeted Office for Students funding in 2018, and two national policy frameworks (Universities UK’s stepchange framework in 2017 and Student Minds’ University Mental Health Charter in 2019).

Quote:
There has also been a corresponding increase in research in the area, with studies often focusing particularly on medical students (Stavrou, 2020) and risk of suicide (Smit, 2019).

However, despite this, at present there is still a paucity of data, making evidence-based intervention difficult (Barkham, M. et al., 2019). Additionally, much of the existing research focuses on undergraduate students or the student body as a whole, with doctoral students (and their unique experiences and needs) largely overlooked.

Doing a PhD is often incredibly challenging, combining the stresses of undertaking a difficult qualification with the cultural and structural pitfalls of academia. Students may face long working hours, financial strain, pressure to succeed, career uncertainty and working in isolation. Perhaps as a result, some initial studies have suggested that this group may have a high prevalence of mental distress (Evans, T. M. et al., 2018).

https://www.nationalelfservice.net/educ ... d-students

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 4:19 pm

From my own experiences in graduate school, it was a very stressful period of my life. Not only do you have so many things that you have to do on the qualifications side for a PhD, but you also have to work with an advisor that may not have your best interests in mind. Some of them use you like a research slave literally. The movie “Real Genius” can give you an idea of what I mean. I got used to working 14 to 18 hours a day, seven days a week, just to get the research adviser off of my back about “his” results. They literally own your future.

Many graduate students in my area of science do not make it simply because the workload is too much for their lifestyle. The class that I started with had an eventual graduation rate of approximately 15% for a PhD from start to finish. Most got either a masters degree (if they survived long enough) or left with nothing at all. There is a time limit of seven years to successfully defend. Miss that deadline by even one day and you get nothing for your hard work.

One of my former research advisors tried to destroy my career many times. He should have never have been hired as a professor because he had zero ethics (and I really mean zero ethics). He was not successful as I earned my PhD in the end on my own merit. I learned how to become stronger and adaptable because of his constant attacks. I got him removed from the university (denied tenure) under evidence of his unethical behavior. Until you go thru that form of hell, one cannot fully understand the effects it has on your life. I still have flashbacks from those events even after more than a decade of time has passed. The worse is when I occasionally relive it in my dreams at night.

EricHudson
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2020, 6:09 am

I consider, shool years is the best time in our life. I've had so many friends and your life is carefree. You just need to do homework and to learn interesting subjects. It's amazing time for me. At university you become to feel that you are not a child any more and meet some difficulties. But life teaches you to fight with them.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 11:20 am

EricHudson wrote:
I consider, school years is the best time in our life. I've had so many friends and your life is carefree. You just need to do homework and to learn interesting subjects. It's amazing time for me. At university you become to feel that you are not a child any more and meet some difficulties. But life teachesen I you to fight with them.

Ahh, big difference in many things between undergraduate studies and doctoral programs. You maybe live carefree as an undergrad, but not so much as a grad student. Undergraduates can usually make it to graduation even if they party hard. Those that party hard during graduate programs greatly lower their success rate because they often cannot balance the workload required of them to graduate.

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 5:08 pm

I am a PhD student in Astrophysics in my first year.

Thank you,

Chris