Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 2:54 pm

A harrowing account of a typical day in the life of a family caring for their severely autistic daughter. I don’t think Neurodiversity has many answers for them & I doubt any of them including the daughter would find an “autistic identity” useful.

Quote:
Life With My Autistic Daughter Has Left Me Bruised, Bitten and Traumatized

We have tried everything. What would you do in my shoes?

By Carrie W

We are going through hell.

I am hiding from my severely autistic daughter, M. She is in my room, where she is most comforted, however, I can’t risk being with her, she has attacked me, bit me, countless times, and is ready for more.

The other day, I fell asleep with the door unlocked, exhausted from the trauma and aggression. M came in, and sat on the bed. I immediately jumped up to make sure she was not going to bite or grab me. I quickly cleared everything off the nightstand knowing she would move everything the floor. Surfaces need to be clean for her when her OCD is so out of control.

So I left the room. I just wanted to go down to the kitchen and get a ginger ale. But she followed me and immediately grabbed her shoes, signaling she wanted to go for a ride. I couldn’t take her. I would have, but was feeling nauseated. This is NOT good. We know what will happen next.

Will she launch into another rage? From here I can’t get safely to a room to lock a door. She is so strong and injures us severely when she bites. Thankfully, she goes back up to my room. And I quickly go back into hers, and lock the door. This is NO WAY TO LIVE IN YOUR OWN HOUSE!! !!

Her father ends up taking her on a ride. I text him asking him to try taking her to the playground. Maybe she can run around and get her energy out. But the ride is brief because M doesn’t want to go when they arrive. She waves her hand in a certain way which means she’s irritated and to move on quickly. They arrive back home after the drive-through at McDonalds. Okay good, I’m thinking to myself, she’ll be okay. She went on a car ride. But she is not okay. She has another aggressive episode.

From downstairs I hear loud slamming and I know something is wrong. My heart is pounding. I don’t know what to do. I hear footsteps running up the hallway and a door slam. Then I hear M trying to pull my door open furiously. She’s very angry. I get a text to stay in the room. My son receives a text to stay in his. And for the first time, her father has now locked himself in the bathroom. This is now our safety plan.

We then hear our dog Stella bark in a very angry manner. This startles all of us. But mostly my son, who is now crying. He opens the door worried that M has hurt the dog. His dad is trying to calm him, to get him to stop crying, because this makes my daughter’s aggression worse. We quickly bring Stella in with me and we all go back to our rooms, locking the doors. We wait. Finally, we don’t hear anything and her dad goes to check on her. He and my son are furious with me. Why did I let her see me? Was this the trigger? I feel terrible, and if I could jump out the window and run away from this, I would. But I can’t.

The good news is that we have found a residential placement for M. But it’s more than three weeks before she can move in and we don’t know how we will survive until then. The trauma has taken its toll. We are all walking on eggshells, not knowing when she will have another meltdown.

M’s meltdowns are severe. First responders, ER staff, hospital staff have all witnessed her rage episodes. When she has these attacks she is a danger to herself and to others. She will bite and attack with sheer rage. And if she’s overwhelmed with this, she will also bite herself. She stopped these self-injurious behaviors months ago when she was at a group home. But now she has started injuring herself again. I am so frustrated and upset for her.

Do I leave and go to a hotel like I’ve done before? No, I can’t do that. At this point, her father cannot be alone without my help. He now has motocross protective wear, like body armor, to protect himself. I do not do much in the bedroom with the door locked, but I can at least call 911 if he needs help.

Before you judge me, I ask, what would you do in our shoes? And are you willing to come to our house to become a caregiver for our daughter?

My heart breaks for M, but we cannot do this alone without more assistance. But, for at least now, there is none. And we won’t put her through another Emergency Room visit only to hear once again, “She can’t be admitted to inpatient psych because she has autism.” She has already been discharged from a program by a system that works against the families, instead of for them.

My heart breaks for my son as well to be living his childhood and adolescence this way.

I am tired. I am drained. I want to fight this and send email and letters to all the people in government and county who look the other way. I will fight for more crisis care centers. But right now, at this very moment, I am overwhelmed. We are just trying to get through another day. One day closer to her being admitted to the program. One day closer to getting her help she needs. And the help we will all need after going through this.

Carrie W is a pseudonym for the mother of two children, one of whom has severe autism.

https://www.ncsautism.org/blog//life-wi ... raumatized

- George Bernie Shaw

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 4:07 pm

It is a very sad situation. I wonder how old the daughter is?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 7:33 am

jimmy m wrote:

It doesn’t say but I suspect she’s old and grown up enough to be uncontrollable.

It seems to be a sad common occurrence with severe autism.

The suffer reaches an age where their parent/ parents just cannot look after them anymore because of violence/ destruction.

It’s very sad and tragic situation for all concerned and will always anchor autism as a disorder regardless of any unscientific sugar coating from advocates or cheap money making opportunities from certain book writers who should know better.

- George Bernie Shaw

OliveFox
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2020, 7:44 am

That's just sad... I don't think that some people are aware how hard is to take care of someone with autism

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 7:49 am

carlos55 wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

It doesn’t say but I suspect she’s old and grown up enough to be uncontrollable.

The suffer reaches an age where their parent/ parents just cannot look after them anymore because of violence/ destruction.

It’s very sad and tragic situation for all concerned and will always anchor autism as a disorder regardless of any unscientific sugar coating from advocates or cheap money making opportunities from certain book writers who should know better.

True, I have had to have a few brainstorming sessions with a local law enforcement agency to try coming up with some ideas for some manhunts they have been called on that result in helicopters, dogs and many off duty personnel being called in because someone with severe autism ran away from home.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 11:53 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

True, I have had to have a few brainstorming sessions with a local law enforcement agency to try coming up with some ideas for some manhunts they have been called on that result in helicopters, dogs and many off duty personnel being called in because someone with severe autism ran away from home.

To make matters worse many have an attraction to water, lakes and rivers so many tragically end up drowning.

- George Bernie Shaw

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 11:58 am

The fact this is even allowed to happen is what I find infuriating. This lady should be in a mental institution because what happens when she kills someone? Hopefully they won't try her and put her down saying she is fit for trial. But if her IQ is normal, they could say she is fit and sentence her. BTW prisons have become like mental institutions.

Also this daughter could end up dead. Look at Issy Stapleton who actually survived sadly.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 12:00 pm

carlos55 wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

And they like to pretend the kid wasn't violent at all and trivialize it and blame the parents and say they were playing the victim. How the hell do you play the victim when your kid is beating your ass and threatening you? :lol: How are you not the victim lmao. Oh boy their logic is astounding. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 12:13 pm

With much sadness, I have to opine that the autistic person in the OP's article might best be "handled" by commitment to an institution for violent autistic people.  No, I am neither a doctor nor a social worker; I just know families through church that have been devastated by the actions of a violent family member.

True, most of these violent people were not autistic; most were schizophrenic, either innately or through chemical or physical trauma.  One woman was blinded in one eye from being slapped repeatedly, another was in traction for months after being pushed down a flight of stairs, still another was scalded by a deliberate attack with a pot of boiling water.

It is not the autism that causes injuries, it is the actions of the autistic person.  Granted, such people may comprise only a fraction of a percentage point of the entire autistic population, so maybe they are exceptional enough to warrant drastic, yet humane treatment.

I don't really know what to do ... I just hope the people in the OP's article can find legal and humane relief for themselves -- for ALL of them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 12:18 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

To make matters worse many have an attraction to water, lakes and rivers so many tragically end up drowning.

True about the attraction to water, is one of the things talked about during one of the conversations I have had.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 3:21 am

Sounds to me like the daighter could be acting out due to:

A) not revieving any love and affection from her parents, as they hide away when she has her meltdowns instead of trying to figure out what’s causing them in the first place.

B) something particular in their house that triggers a severe sensory overload in her that is at its least overwhelming in her parents’ bedroom, like a scent or sound, that if removed or suppressed as much as possible would have a significant positive effect on her behavior.

C) she could also be extremely frustrated over her lack of ability to communicate with other people. Nowhere in this article did it mention if her parents tried to teach her any alternatw forms of communication, such as sign language, typing, or some kind of visual communication app on a tablet.

#palestinianlivesmatter

traven
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 3:49 am

we don't know how it came about,
but i'd quote jason; there's underdevelloppement been going on for a long time

inconsistency, no clear expectations, or informing beforehand
but a lot of changing of plans midway, i presume
emotional reactivity as reaction to emotions isn't calming but aggravating

idk if it is always sensory, getting misread or misinterpretated is also very upsetting, possibly more if that's on quick cycles that keep stresslevel permanently high

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 2:05 pm

Then people wonder why I wouldn't want a child with severe autism. I would not want to live like this. Not just for myself, but for my child. If my autistic child was as aggressive as that then surely she's not feeling happy inside, and that would break my heart too.

It's not unusual for a child, teen or even adult with autism to have challenging behaviour, especially around their parents. I used to be quite tough to live with, although not as bad as the girl in the OP's quote, probably because I'm verbal so can easily express my feelings. But that had its ugly side too, as I spent a lot of time shouting, swearing, ranting and arguing.
Sometimes my parents had to tiptoe past my bedroom (in the daytime) like I was an angry monster they didn't want to disturb. I felt like an angry monster that mustn't be disturbed too, and I hated feeling like it but I was suffering from depression and anxiety and it was difficult to control. That's the reason I went on Sertraline, which has helped, although taking meds was the last thing I wanted to resort to. But I'd rather take meds than be a nightmare to live with for other people.

Maybe this girl does know how much stress she may be causing but doesn't know how to address it, and she's probably getting really frustrated with herself and can't control her behaviour. I hate autism, it's not fair that some people have to be born with it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 6:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
With much sadness, I have to opine that the autistic person in the OP's article might best be "handled" by commitment to an institution for violent autistic people.  No, I am neither a doctor nor a social worker; I just know families through church that have been devastated by the actions of a violent family member.

True, most of these violent people were not autistic; most were schizophrenic, either innately or through chemical or physical trauma.  One woman was blinded in one eye from being slapped repeatedly, another was in traction for months after being pushed down a flight of stairs, still another was scalded by a deliberate attack with a pot of boiling water.

It is not the autism that causes injuries, it is the actions of the autistic person.  Granted, such people may comprise only a fraction of a percentage point of the entire autistic population, so maybe they are exceptional enough to warrant drastic, yet humane treatment.

I don't really know what to do ... I just hope the people in the OP's article can find legal and humane relief for themselves -- for ALL of them.

I remember Kelly Stapleton had a social worker involved and they told her how to handle Issy's violence. I am curious what that solution was? Giving into demands every second? Doing what she says?

No parent would agree to this. To me this is just insane and doing the child a disservice and teaching them to be controlling and manipulative.

When I was 16 and was hitting my mother trying to get my way, she told me she would send me away if I hit her again. That totally fixed me. An autistic child will hurt their parents if they know they can get away with it and you will always love them and never reject them. This indicates they can help it so you take that away from them by letting them know their home also isn't safe for them to do that either and neither are their mom and dad or they are gone too. My mom told me this was a very difficult thing for her when she did this to me.

Issy should have been placed in a institution. If Kelly refused it, that was on her then and it would be a wonder why she got a life sentence.