I got rejected from a job for not quitting my other job

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2020, 6:57 pm

I currently work part-time at a grocery store. I've been working at this same grocery store for 9 years. I work there Monday through Friday from 5pm to 10pm. I make about $9 an hour. I have been trying to get a second job working weekday mornings or on the weekends. I applied at another store for a part-time position that pays $10.40 an hour. They called me after the interview and hired me. I went for orientation at this new job and they asked me if I had already quit my current job or put in my two week notice. I said that I planned to work at both places for a little while. They told me that in order to start working for them, I would have to put in my two week notice at my other job. They said that it would be a "conflict of interest" if I worked at both places. There is another person who works where I work and recently got a job at this store. He works at both places. I told this to the hiring manager and he said that this person is violating their rules. He asked me who it is and I didn't want to say because I didn't want to get him in trouble. It sounded like the manager knew who I was talking about. I hope I didn't get my co-worker in trouble. It's like you are not allowed to have 2 jobs. No one can live off of working one part-time job. Sometimes you have to work 2 or 3 part-time jobs in order to pay the bills. Every part-time job that I have applied for assumed that I was planning to leave my current part-time job in order to work for them. I have a steady schedule with my current part-time job so I wouldn't mind working another part-time job earlier in the day.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 7:21 pm

It makes sense that for many higher level jobs, there could be a very real conflict of interest if one is also working for a competitor.

For a lower level job, that obviously isn't the case. It's not like the lower level workers are privy to the corporate plans and have knowledge about what the company is going to do to compete against its competitors.

On the other hand, at this company I would not want to have an employee who also works for a competitor. I wouldn't want to take a chance him providing information to the competition.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 7:25 pm

That's really slimey of them. I've never heard of a rule like that. Can I assume neither store will let you work full-time? I believe they do this to avoid having to give employees health insurance. Such a scumbag move.

Having worked in similar jobs, I can't imagine what knowledge of the companies you would have that could be of value to their competitor.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:50 pm

and then they expect you to be eager to work whenever they want. one boss told me she would dial my phone number when i could come into work. one week later, 11:51am, she texted telling me to come in 1pm the same day. (not an on call job). they expect you to always have free time, a car, internet access, a phone.

they expect you to be willing to do things outside your job description. ("beggars can't be choosers")

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2020, 10:43 am

kokopelli wrote:
I would not want to have an employee who also works for a competitor. I wouldn't want to take a chance him providing information to the competition.

In which case you provide a full-time job at a pay rate which is worth quitting the other job for. You don't browbeat and threaten employees about what they might choose to do in the hours you are not paying them.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 2:33 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
I currently work part-time at a grocery store. I've been working at this same grocery store for 9 years. I work there Monday through Friday from 5pm to 10pm. I make about $9 an hour. I have been trying to get a second job working weekday mornings or on the weekends. I applied at another store for a part-time position that pays $10.40 an hour. They called me after the interview and hired me. I went for orientation at this new job and they asked me if I had already quit my current job or put in my two week notice. I said that I planned to work at both places for a little while. They told me that in order to start working for them, I would have to put in my two week notice at my other job. They said that it would be a "conflict of interest" if I worked at both places. There is another person who works where I work and recently got a job at this store. He works at both places. I told this to the hiring manager and he said that this person is violating their rules. He asked me who it is and I didn't want to say because I didn't want to get him in trouble. It sounded like the manager knew who I was talking about. I hope I didn't get my co-worker in trouble. It's like you are not allowed to have 2 jobs. No one can live off of working one part-time job. Sometimes you have to work 2 or 3 part-time jobs in order to pay the bills. Every part-time job that I have applied for assumed that I was planning to leave my current part-time job in order to work for them. I have a steady schedule with my current part-time job so I wouldn't mind working another part-time job earlier in the day.

If it happens again ask them to pay you the salary from the other job. The answer will be no but at least you can insult them or start off an argument which can entertain you for a few minutes.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 2:34 pm

Name and shame the employer.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 3:09 pm

MSBKyle wrote:

I'd get out of this new job as soon as you can, sounds toxic and draining. The manager just wanted to see if your willing to throw your co-workers under the bus for the 'company'. Also, they aren't paying you enough for it to be any of their business at all what you are doing when your not there at work.

You don't want to work at a place like that.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2020, 1:05 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
. . . There is another person who works where I work and recently got a job at this store. He works at both places. I told this to the hiring manager and he said that this person is violating their rules. . .

You may have made a mistake even bringing this person up indirectly. Of course, my mind may have gone in the exact same direction of common practice.

But all the same, you recovered very nicely indeed in that you did not name this person.

And the hiring manager was nasty in trying to push you to do so. And he may have been bluffing when he indicated he knew who it was hoping to get some kind of read or confirmation off you. Hopefully, he doesn’t feel he has enough to go on. Or, this just gets lost in the busy-ness of all the other managerial tasks.

If you find yourself worrying, remind yourself that you did better than average in a difficult situation. And you did. :D

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2020, 4:50 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
and then they expect you to be eager to work whenever they want. . .
I think that’s what’s really going on. The company expects you to be endlessly flexible.