Do you get overly affected by peoples emotions

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 8:57 am

And I do get very effected by and through other peoples emotions. It is why I was really, really puzzled why I had the low empathy result, but no matter how hard I try, as yet I can't make my mind think to differentiate between empathy and sympathy as to me they blend in as being the same thing... No matter how well others try to explain. Somehow I can't seperate them? It is almost as if there are two seperate names for the exact same thing and peoples explinations are meaning to me the exact same thing in my mind? Uhmmm.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 9:47 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
And I do get very effected by and through other peoples emotions. It is why I was really, really puzzled why I had the low empathy result, but no matter how hard I try, as yet I can't make my mind think to differentiate between empathy and sympathy as to me they blend in as being the same thing... No matter how well others try to explain. Somehow I can't seperate them? It is almost as if there are two seperate names for the exact same thing and peoples explinations are meaning to me the exact same thing in my mind? Uhmmm.

That's probably because people keep changing the definition of those words or make up their own definitions depending on whether someone is autistic or not. I did read an article or something on the internet about how the expectations of empathy with autistics are higher, but I can't find where I found it now. It was a really good read.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 10:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
And no, I wasn't doing it to boost my ego, I really did feel bad for her and I wanted the issue to be sorted out for her sake.

I think there are people who genuinely enjoy seeing their words and actions wound others, and these people are placed into positions of authority for that reason. Growing up, we had a neighbor who became CEO of a locally based corporation. I was told he was hired on the understanding that his first duty would be to fire a lot of people. Not saying he was the sort of person I just described, but it should not surprise anyone that heartless treatment of employees is a valued skill in the corporate world. The founder of that corporation was widely known as a humanitarian, so I can see why they would have brought in a "hatchet man" from the outside.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2021, 7:20 pm

It can be difficult expressing emotions, a few months ago I had upload a video discussing what it takes to express emotions.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 11:11 am

I am hyperempathetic. If I even hear a recording of a concert or live music I have to repress the urge to join in with the audience's ecstasy. If I'm in assembly at school and the subject matter is really emotional (happy or sad) I will start to feel it rising up. If everyone applauds I could go ballistic. Last time this happened I cried for two hours straight.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 5:36 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
I am hyperempathetic. If I even hear a recording of a concert or live music I have to repress the urge to join in with the audience's ecstasy. If I'm in assembly at school and the subject matter is really emotional (happy or sad) I will start to feel it rising up. If everyone applauds I could go ballistic. Last time this happened I cried for two hours straight.

Cute and interesting to hear. I'm pretty much the opposite. I'm quite empathetic. If all are into things I'm very critrical regarding pros and cons. If all have fun in a group I'm on the side who dislikes to join that or the wildest one in the middle who makes the others go wild.
If speaking with Karl Marx "An allem ist zu zweifeln." ("You have to question everything!")
I'm pretty much that way.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 5:56 pm

Sometimes I can begin to mirror other peoples emotions in a way that doesnt feel appropriate. Its as though in an effort to connect I am not calibrated quite right at that exact time.

In the moment I seem to feel the emotion too much, however once away from the person it evaporates almost immediately. I tend to look on it as though I have developed a masking behaviour thats slightly skewed.

At other times I can remain totally detached and unaffected, but only with people Im not close to.

Director at the Autistic Community of Cornwall CIC
Clinical advisor to Youth Art Connect CIC
Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 8:04 pm

When people I'm close to get upset it makes me very upset, and I've never understood why. It makes comforting people very distressing and exhausting because I do get as upset or sometimes even more than they are (even though I don't really express it). I've noticed that as of late I kind of unintentionally emotionally detach myself from other people because I can't handle the people I'm around being upset anymore.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 4:33 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:

Cute and interesting to hear.

It's not cute to neurotypicals when the applause has died down and then one person in the audience (me) suddenly loses it even more than the wider audience just did. The intense emotions are so strong they last the whole day usually.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 10:16 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:

Cute and interesting to hear.

It's not cute to neurotypicals when the applause has died down and then one person in the audience (me) suddenly loses it even more than the wider audience just did. The intense emotions are so strong they last the whole day usually.

I feel that, of course there is a bit of a delay between the original emotion and my taking it on and sometimes for me it lasts longer than the other person. It can be a bit inappropriate :')

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 11:31 pm

Coffee gives me an emotional high that's almost psychedelic.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 4:49 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
I'm quite empathetic.

Sorry I meant I'm not really empathetic. Emotions of others are theirs only and not my feelings.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 5:18 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:

Sounds strange and alien to me. Of course the copying skills of NTs are sometimes scary. The even do for sharing the feelings of others. Had once a very own and rocking way of dancing. Did want some NTs on the dancefloor to move to. Some near did try to copy me and had totally fun to do because of the rocking movement (not because they made fun of me). Then more and more joined them the same way. First it looked funny but once it became the half of the full dancefloor and at least 30 people it became scary 8O. It was very strange to find half the room dancing the way that usually I did only. I change my dancing style afterwards... :mrgreen:

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:32 pm

The situation you described sounds like it takes getting used to. I don't like to be centre of attention like that.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:52 pm

A number of years ago, 2 psychologists wrote a theory on autism spectrum disorder (or equal to)
which was called the intense world theory.

intense theory
A theory that details how people with autism can have amplified emotion and perhaps even an amplified experience of the world (sensory hypersensitivity).

This theory however has been criticised greatly and so has not been accepted by the greater community.
I however fit this theory. I am generally highly compassionate and can feel others suffering, however,
if i have a meltdown, I can get extremely angry and lose my compassion completely (although rarely, and
usually due to either extreme distress or extreme disgust).