Flash Player will no longer be supported after December 2020

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 1:27 pm

What will happen then? What does Flash Player do? Will I have to install something else? Will I have to pay? I don't have the money to pay for these online updates. Why can't they just leave things the way they are?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 1:34 pm

Flash player is a massive security risk due to inherent and unresolvable flaws. I thought this had already happened, tbh.

Flash player used to be used to deliver animated content, interactive parts of websites and to stream videos. It's since been replaced in those applications for the most part.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 10:39 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I thought this had already happened, tbh.

Yeah me too I thought this was done and dusted 10 years ago. Flash should have been uninstalled and forgotten about a long time ago.

Joe90 wrote:
What will happen then? What does Flash Player do?

Any reasonably modern browser supports HTML5 which the majority of current websites use where they have to. This covers the streaming video side of things and some fancy interactions that we once relied on Flash for. The only thing it might not replace is some old web-browser video games. But anything made in the last decade shouldn't require Flash to work. It's likely you've already been using HTML5 without realising it.

Joe90 wrote:
Will I have to install something else?

Just get the latest version of your favourite browser. Assuming that isn't Netscape Navigator 4 or Internet Explorer, you shouldn't have any problems. If you are using some ancient or bizarre browser, you might consider a more popular and current one.

Joe90 wrote:
Will I have to pay?

No.

Joe90 wrote:
Why can't they just leave things the way they are?

As funeralxempire said, Flash is downright dangerous to use in the current ecosystem. The nicer way of putting it is Flash has been made "obsolete".

Edit: This link might be useful.

https://html5test.com/

It will test your browser to see how much of the HTML5 standard it supports. Don't expect full marks, you don't need everything for 99.9% of sites to work properly.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 11:06 am

If flash player is no longer supported, will it tip over in the wind? :D

Actually I have no idea what it does but I have seen it on some computer games I used to play before the old computer could no longer be used. It was a computer hot rod. It had windows 95, and then 98 and then we went all modern like, and was upgraded to windows XP! That was about 2013? :lol:
It then gave up and I have been on tablets ever since, this one being the 4th tablet since then.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 12:26 pm

Quote:

:lol:

I have Windows 7, if that helps. I used to have Windows 10, but I got so frustrated and upset that I couldn't play my Sims 2 games any more, that I got my brother to set up Windows 7 back on to my laptop using a (reliable) disc he had. I've been happy ever since.
That was a year ago so maybe it needs to be updated again, which I'll ask my brother to do because I have no idea what to do.

Warning: it will be a waste of time anyone here telling me to use Windows 10, because I am never, ever going to have that garbage on my laptop for as long as I live. It made me miserable.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 2:43 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

:lol:

I have Windows 7, if that helps. I used to have Windows 10, but I got so frustrated and upset that I couldn't play my Sims 2 games any more, that I got my brother to set up Windows 7 back on to my laptop using a (reliable) disc he had. I've been happy ever since.
That was a year ago so maybe it needs to be updated again, which I'll ask my brother to do because I have no idea what to do.

Warning: it will be a waste of time anyone here telling me to use Windows 10, because I am never, ever going to have that garbage on my laptop for as long as I live. It made me miserable.

I had to do this so I could run RFactor, so Windows 7 is my main OS.

Using Windows 7 won't impact this, but at some point the security issues that exist within Windows 7 will force you to upgrade (just like how XP is mostly obsolete due to security issues and lack of support).

If you need an older OS like Windows 7 you have the option to set things up to 'dual boot', so you can use a newer version of Windows or use Linux (or whatever) and boot into that OS when you need to or boot into Windows 7 (or whatever) when you need it to play an older game.

Basically, even if something forces you to upgrade you don't have to leave what you're used to behind entirely, you can make them share the computer so you can learn the one while still having the other available.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2020, 6:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What will happen then? What does Flash Player do? Will I have to install something else? Will I have to pay? I don't have the money to pay for these online updates. Why can't they just leave things the way they are?

Oh no I use flash player for shooter-bubble.com, I hope apple continue to support it, I was gutted when android stopped it.
I don't know why people have something against it, maybe it is a vulnerability? Just a guess.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 7:41 am

diagnosedafter50 wrote:
Oh no I use flash player for shooter-bubble.com, I hope apple continue to support it, I was gutted when android stopped it.
I don't know why people have something against it, maybe it is a vulnerability? Just a guess.

I just checked, shooter-bubble.com works fine without Flash.