Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2020, 3:32 am

My parents want me to go to college. They heard of a good program for adults with developmental disabilities. They think it would be a great fit for me. I feel scared to do that.

The classes seem interesting though. They will teach me stuff I need to live independently. I'm worried it will be like high school though. High school was hard for me. I took "easy"classes mostly. Some people I knew were jealous that I didnt have much homework. I had a hard time with homework and social stuff though. It would take me longer than most people to complete math homework. I also had barely any friends in high school. Its because I never really talked to anybody. Also I did not spend a lot of time in the regular classroom. I was mostly in the special ed room.

I feel like I was annoying because I would get kicked out of class for not doing stuff. I never knew how to start projects. I always needed help with coming up with a plan to complete work and projects. I also usually had to have instructions repeated multiple times. Someone once laughed at me about that.

I feel like I do not want to go to college. But my parents really want me to go. They think it could help. They heard that this program helps people feel more confident. They heard about it a while ago. Part of me thinks that its them wanting to be away from me for a bit.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 1:44 pm

Have you told your parents how you feel about this? It might help.

Drolo
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2021, 3:39 pm

I know that is difficult to face your problems and the things that we do wrong or we have difficulties to do them. But think that they are essential skills to function in society.

You say that you didn't talk to anybody and never knew how to star projects and coming up with a plan to complete work and projects. But without those skills you'll not be able to work at all, even to be a plumber or programmer (for example) you have to know how to explain the project you carry out to the boss or the client, maybe work as team. A job where you don't have to interact with anyone is very unusual.

If they are going to help you with that, I would say it worth it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 7:50 am

Please. Go to college.

The people at the college understand people with developmental disabilities. It won’t be like high school.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 9:51 pm

Many colleges have a program that helps students with developmental conditions.

Mine does, so please go to college.