Batman Forever will always by my ‘Forever’

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 11:29 am

Do you think it’s very childish that as a 31 year old man I still find Batman Forever thoroughly more enjoyable to watch than Nolan’s Batman films? Batman Begins I actually really liked but the Dark Knight and Dark Knight rises I could just not stomach.

I suppose since I grew up as a child in the 90s watching it I remember it with fond memories. As a kid I was addicted to Tim Burtons bat movies but grew to really dislike Batman Returns.

Anyway are there any die hard batman comic book fans on this site who want to put me in my place in regards to preferring batman forever over the dark knight and rises? Back in 2010 on this site some posters (not going to name them) got very angry with my opinions on the Batman franchise.

Oh yes and let’s not talk about Batman and Robin which I don’t remember.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 11:52 am

Nope, not at all childish.

I watch animated films occasionally and sometimes one from my youth but these seldom get airtime.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 12:20 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:
Nope, not at all childish.

I watch animated films occasionally and sometimes one from my youth but these seldom get airtime.

Did you enjoy batman forever more than the Dark Knight?

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 12:57 pm

I would have to say, Batman Begins is my favourite film of the Batman makes.
I like the connection to ninjutsu / Tibetan origins.

Apparently. their is a legend from real life that dates ninjutsu back to Tibet, before being taught to people in India,
and then travelling to China with BodhiDharma, who was taught martial arts in order to give him self protection, when he traveled to China with the sacred teachings of Buddhism. Which he did and started the Shaolin Monastery.

During the 80s, i watched quiet a few ninja movies, which were popular at the time.
Which were made popular with due to Stephen K Hayes popularising Traditional Ninjutsu after writing a series of books on Traditional Ninjutsu, after haven travelled to Japan to train with Hatsumi Soke (grand master of the 18 styles that are collectively known as Bujinkan).

I grew up doing martial arts, and was obsessive about training karate in my teenage years
so the batman theme is very much a theme that a lot of self defense experts can understand and identify with

like Liam Neelson in Batman Begins too!
love the scenes in the Tibetan Temple

really cool
i don't care what other people think
if they are not into it

i don't act out my fantasies in real life though....
keep it to watching films and playing computer games....

:-)

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 1:06 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
I would have to say, Batman Begins is my favourite film of the Batman makes.
I like the connection to ninjutsu / Tibetan origins.

Apparently. their is a legend from real life that dates ninjutsu back to Tibet, before being taught to people in India,
and then travelling to China with BodhiDharma, who was taught martial arts in order to give him self protection, when he traveled to China with the sacred teachings of Buddhism. Which he did and started the Shaolin Monastery.

During the 80s, i watched quiet a few ninja movies, which were popular at the time.
Which were made popular with due to Stephen K Hayes popularising Traditional Ninjutsu after writing a series of books on Traditional Ninjutsu, after haven travelled to Japan to train with Hatsumi Soke (grand master of the 18 styles that are collectively known as Bujinkan).

I grew up doing martial arts, and was obsessive about training karate in my teenage years
so the batman theme is very much a theme that a lot of self defense experts can understand and identify with

like Liam Neelson in Batman Begins too!
love the scenes in the Tibetan Temple

really cool
i don't care what other people think
if they are not into it

i don't act out my fantasies in real life though....
keep it to watching films and playing computer games....

:-)

Batman Begins is one of my favourites to. However IMD did give Batman Begins an 8 out of 10 while the Dark Knight got a 9 out 10 technically making it a better film :?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 3:49 pm

Batman Begins is not only my favorite Batman movie, but probably my favorite superhero movie ever, and no other one has beaten it so far, accept maybe Watchmen, but have to watch that one again.

I would say that Batman Forever is the fifth or sixth best in the series, of all the theatrical releases, so quite a few steps down.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 7:15 pm

I'll never forget this scene from the 1989 Tim Burton version with Michael Keaton:

At 1:20, Baddie gets the Boot from the Bat.

(it's obviously a parody of the equivalent scene from Indiana Jones)

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:12 am

I wanted this so bad for Christmas.... back in 1995.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

13 Jan 2021, 11:51 am

I much prefer "Batman" and "Batman Returns" to the Nolan films. I've gone off "Batman Forever" a bit over the years though and always thought "Batman & Robin" was terrible!

If we're talking childish, my husband has just bought a "Scooby Doo" cartoon box set :mrgreen:

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 12:18 pm

OutsideView wrote:
I much prefer "Batman" and "Batman Returns"

Maybe that's because the director is on the spectrum.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

13 Jan 2021, 12:59 pm

^ Oh I didn't know that.