Armed defiance of mitigation laws urged at Oregon protest

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 2:46 am

Salem protest against coronavirus restrictions flares at Capitol, governor’s mansion

Quote:
Roughly 200 people gathered at the Capitol in Salem to protest government-ordered coronavirus lockdown measures they say violate their liberty, and speakers urged steps including purposefully spreading the virus to achieve herd immunity and using guns to defend restaurants that defy state orders to offer takeout meals only..

Many in the crowd didn’t wear masks. Some waved flags decrying far-left group antifa. Chants of “USA! USA! USA” rang out as U.S. flags flapped noisily in the brisk wind.

After more than an hour of speeches on the Capitol steps and as a hard rain fell, the group marched the nearly two miles to Mahonia Hall, the home to Oregon governors, and continued the protest there. They chanted “Whose streets? Our streets!” and “USA!” as they walked.

As they returned to the Capitol more than an hour later, the last remnants of the right-wing crowd encountered a small group of left-wing protesters, some clad all in black, who said they were protecting a Black-owned business. Both sides yelled insults and, as the right-wing group tried to make contact, police arrived en masse to separate the sides. Eventually they deployed flash bangs to keep the right-wing group at bay. At least one person was arrested.

As the crowd returning to the Capitol remained insistent at targeting the small left-wing group, police repeatedly used flash bang munitions to get them to move on. Protesters set off smoke bombs and fired angry words back. “We pay you! We pay you and you abuse us,” one woman yelled.

Another right-wing protester pushed Dave Killen, a news photographer for The Oregonian/OregonLive, down onto the pavement.

When the crowd of about 150 reached the governor’s mansion, they chanted crude protests against China, antifa and, above all, Gov. Kate Brown. The home where Brown lives with her husband, Dan Little, was surrounded by Oregon State Police troopers.

“War is coming. This is war. It is time to get out of your house and into the streets,” a speaker said.

“I will shed my blood if I have to. I am not scared,” another speaker, who said he was 28, said. “Enough talk.”

Another speaker is blamed China and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg for stealing votes and the election. The crowd broke out in cries of “Arrest Kate Brown!”

The event was organized by Oregon Women for Trump. Carole Leek, who is retired and lives near Salem, played a lead role. She told The Oregonian/OregonLive the rally was an opportunity for people to vent their frustrations and let government leaders know what they think. She insisted it would be peaceful.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 11:41 am

A bunch of loonies.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 12:12 pm

This is not good.

My only hope is crowded non-masking protesters all get CV and become too ill to protest.

Or, I have read that CV can affect the neurology of a person, so perhaps they have all already had it and that is what brings them to this madness?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 12:14 pm

blazingstar wrote:
This is not good.

My only hope is crowded non-masking protesters all get CV and become too ill to protest.

Or, I have read that CV can affect the neurology of a person, so perhaps they have all already had it and that is what brings them to this madness?

I feel like trying to willfully spread covid is like biological terrorism.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 5:46 pm

This is what happens when you defund public education in order to create religious fanatics willing to sign their lives away as soldiers & have to import scientists via work visas.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 6:41 pm

Just nothing more than a bunch of Trump supporters who will always continue to drink the Kool-Aid even well after Trump is out of office. He'll always be a cult leader and nothing else.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 6:54 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Just nothing more than a bunch of Trump supporters who will always continue to drink the Kool-Aid even well after Trump is out of office. He'll always be a cult leader and nothing else.

I don't like hypocrisy. You'll probably dismiss me as a Trump supporter, though I'm not really that crazy about him. Oregon was the home of the nightly protests for months and months, mainly in Portland. Now that the opposite side wants to protest once (in the same state), they're deemed fanatics and weirdos. Bizarre double-standard.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 7:06 pm

I predict a spike or surge in coronavirus cases in or around Salem Oregon on or about 2020-01-20.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm

I’ve heard of Keep Portland Weird, but the whole state? Holy crap!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 8:26 pm

No masks, no social distancing, hopefully Corona will take care of them. 8)

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 8:30 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

I don't like hypocrisy. You'll probably dismiss me as a Trump supporter, though I'm not really that crazy about him. Oregon was the home of the nightly protests for months and months, mainly in Portland. Now that the opposite side wants to protest once (in the same state), they're deemed fanatics and weirdos. Bizarre double-standard.

But but but don't you know, this is all totally different. It's all about freedom and wanting human rights and the right to keep our fire arm. The violent leftists just wanted to be violent because of the democrat city mayor not knowing how to handle things. This is why we need conservatives, not let democrats take over our cities and country or the whole country will go up in flames because of their inability to be logical. :wink:

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 10:00 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

:? He's not criticizing them for protesting, he's criticizing them because he disagrees with the reasons that they're protesting. I don't even know if he supports the other protests but its not hypocritical to only criticize people when you disagree with them. By your logic it's always hypocritical to criticize people for any opinion that they express, including when you criticize people for criticizing. A bizarre double-standard indeed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 11:22 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Umm :lol: that’s because they are fanatics and wierdos. Lmao seriously?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 11:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Umm :lol: that’s because they are fanatics and wierdos. Lmao seriously?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must have misunderstood, I find it hypocritical the right wing have been critical of the protests that are fighting for civil rights of minorities and to end police brutality. Now they turn around and are doing the same thing that they had criticized the left about.

Of course the ones who were rioting and doing destruction were not from the area and were not even part of the protest. The majority of the protesters were not violent and ones who were were the ones that got attacked by the police so they fought back.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 11:21 am

Quote:
Roughly 200 people gathered at the Capitol in Salem to protest government-ordered coronavirus lockdown measures they say violate their liberty, and speakers urged steps including purposefully spreading the virus to achieve herd immunity and using guns to defend restaurants that defy state orders to offer takeout meals only..

Ah yes, nothing says defending liberty like toting a gun outside a Red Robin so people won't have to endure the tyranny of government-mandated carryout!

Quote:
As the crowd returning to the Capitol remained insistent at targeting the small left-wing group, police repeatedly used flash bang munitions to get them to move on. Protesters set off smoke bombs and fired angry words back. “We pay you! We pay you and you abuse us,” one woman yelled.

Note that the "us" here applies only to those on the right. Their outrage does not extend to the fatal denial of the right to due process of black americans by the police. Those silly leftists don't realize that shutting down dine-in TGI Fridays and reigning in armed right wingers are the real injustices here!

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 1:21 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

I'd say it makes more sense to protest about police brutality than to protest about safety regulations during a global pandemic. Also I don't recall armed groups trying to demand entry into government buildings guns and all for those previous protests, when typically government buildings don't allow guns.