Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 11:19 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
For my own Western script, it will be female-centered and IMO, if one movie genre deserves a comeback, it would have to be the Western genre.

This may be of interest, for inspiration of ideas, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/ent ... ofie-dalia

Quote:
Sofie Dalia Herzog, pioneer physician and first woman to serve as head surgeon for a major American railroad, was born in Vienna, Austria, on February 4, 1846. ...

In the early 1900s, when railroads were proliferating in Texas, the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway began laying track in South Texas. The job was hazardous, and workers suffered frequent accidents and illnesses. Dr. Sofie was often called to construction sites to tend injured or ill men. She was willing to use any transportation available-train engines, boxcars, handcars-to outlying areas at any time of night or day. She became well known to officials of the railroad, and when the job of chief surgeon opened up, they readily endorsed her application. But when eastern officials of the railroad realized a woman had been appointed to the post, they asked her to resign. She refused, telling them that if she failed to give satisfaction, they could fire her, adding that she asked "no odds" because of her sex. She remained a highly valued employee of the railroad until her resignation a few months before her death.

Dr. Herzog operated a drugstore in connection with her medical practice and made many of her own medicines. She also built a hotel, the Southern, across the street from her office. ...

... She was as famed for her forceful personality and eccentricities as she was for her skill as a physician and surgeon. Gunfights were common in the area, and she prided herself on her skill in removing bullets. Eventually she took twenty-four bullets she had extracted to a Houston jeweler to be strung between gold links for a necklace. She wore this necklace as a good luck charm for the rest of her life, and at her request it was placed in her coffin.

And for general information, http://railwaysurgery.org/HistoryShort.htm

Quote:
The Train Doctors
A Brief History of Railway Surgeons

(There is also a longer version which contains all the content below, and more.)

By Robert S. Gillespie, MD, MPH

Copyright 2006

Railroad surgeons formed a unique medical specialty, operating a vast and innovative network of railroad hospitals and clinics. Nearly forgotten today, this relatively small but dedicated group of doctors made many advances in medical science and embraced an innovative payment system now used by many health insurance plans.

Thank you, I will read this.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 11:49 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Thank you, I will read this.

Welcome!
It was fun to be able to offer something of possible use and relevance. :D

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 5:18 pm

Immensity wrote:
I love writing. I mostly write poetry or just free form.

I live on the artistic side of life - anyone else love writing - any form?

Writing is such an outlet for me. I also love anything with a lot of imagery. The more descriptive, the more I can create a picture or movie of it in my head the better.

Any writers here?

I have been writing since I was about 8 years old (around the time of my diagnosis). I always loved history and when I discovered the historical fiction genre, I was hooked. And my writing has always been described as highly descriptive, almost as if there is a movie playing out on the page.

Regarding this, my brain rewired itself through the creative part and I was told this is like a cinema running 24/7 and the projector is permanently stuck in the "ON" position and there is no way to turn it off.

Yesterday, a flash fiction piece I wrote about a German U-Boat patrol in the Atlantic Ocean during 1941, was publushed online. It has taken 23 years, but I have finally kept the promise of becoming published. At the moment, I also have four historical fiction pieces set during the American Civil War (1861-1865) under review at several literary journals.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 5:21 pm

The_Wolf wrote:
It has taken 23 years, but I have finally kept the promise of becoming published. At the moment, I also have four historical fiction pieces set during the American Civil War (1861-1865) under review at several literary journals.

Cool stuff!

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 5:25 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Cool stuff!

Thank you kindly Kites :)

Chronologically, I have finished all of my pieces set during 1861 and am halfway through mapping out 1862 at present. I decided to stick as close to the actual timeline of the war as possible.

I guess that this shows how hyper-fixated I sometimes get on my special interests heh

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2021, 6:48 pm

I'm working on my third novel in a series: I consider it historical sci-fi, but it's actually fantasy, as so little "sci-fi" is actually sci-fi... "Star Wars" is not sci-fi, it's fantasy, "Blade Runner" is sci-fi.

Someone was saying that writing sci-fi requires no research. Sorry, but this is anything but true! Yes, if you just make things up off the top of your head and base nothing on reality/physics, then you can dazzle people with BS, but that is an art in itself and still requires research. But, if you want to have people actually believe that your "world building" is plausible then you need to research the heck out of things. To keep my ideas fresh I never read modern authors and instead draw my ideas from long since dead authors who wrote outside of my genera. I find that too many people are just aping what is currently popular.

When I get my forth book done I will have my first one edited: why am I doing this? I have a very complex story-arc and to keep an organic flow I need to go back and change things in previous books, "Oh, wait... if I change this part it will build suspense and make much more sense!"

I also write historical fiction, always about California: one of my novellas takes place in the pre-Columbian/Neolithic Central Coast: it took me five years to write 55-pages because I wanted/needed to make sure the ethno-botany was correct, or at least as much as I could get it 8O

I use Wikipedia and:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/site/about_us.html

Just reading these old news papers makes for superior story fodder, "Wait, someone did what in 1906? That is so freakin' cool, I'm totally gunna put that in my book..."

My wife's best friend is a professional editor, and when ever we tell her what I'm doing she needs to know more because it's nothing she's ever heard of :D

Keep it fresh, by keeping it original 8)

DIVAIR

EDIT: I am also dyslexic so it takes me a long time to do things :(

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 10:26 pm

Currently I'm working on new short horror stories that I hope to organize into another anthology, and publish on Amazon toward the end of the year.

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2021, 11:22 pm

Wolf, seeing as you're interested in the American Civil War, have you read Stephen Crane's "The Red Badge of Courage"?

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/73

Here is an audio version with a really good reader:

https://librivox.org/the-red-badge-of-c ... civil-war/

This book is a huge influence on my writing as is "All Quiet on the Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque.

As a dyslexic I hated English in school, it wasn't until I was in my 40's that my writing blossomed into something very real. The book I owe so much to is Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn": reading that is where I realized that I should write the way people speak. In real life no one really enunciates: instead they slur their words and use lots of contractions.

I get ideas in my head and can have them stuck in there for decades until it suddenly coalesces and I just have to write it down.

DIVAIR

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2021, 11:27 pm

Kraichgauer, who are your influences? Do you know about this book?

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10966

It's called "The Ghost Pirates" by William Hope Hodgson. HP Lovecraft took a lot from him!

Here's an audio book with a good reader:

https://librivox.org/the-ghost-pirates- ... e-hodgson/

It's very creepy and disturbing, especially the way he describes the ghosts 8O

DIVAIR

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 11:55 pm

DIVAIR wrote:
Kraichgauer, who are your influences? Do you know about this book?

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10966

It's called "The Ghost Pirates" by William Hope Hodgson. HP Lovecraft took a lot from him!

Here's an audio book with a good reader:

https://librivox.org/the-ghost-pirates- ... e-hodgson/

It's very creepy and disturbing, especially the way he describes the ghosts 8O

DIVAIR

While I do know the name, William Hope Hodgson, I'm afraid I've never read any of his stuff.
As far as my influences are concerned: I absolutely love stuff written by Lovecraft and Howard, who my dad had talked to me endlessly about while growing up. Stephen King had been an influence on me in my late teens and twenties, as had been short horror story writers whose fiction filled up anthologies and horror fiction magazines back in the eighties. These days, I read stuff by Franz Kafka and Thomas Ligotti, as well as non-horror fiction authors like William Burroughs, and Charles Bukowski.

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2021, 2:02 pm

Give it a listen/read, since you like Lovecraft as much as you do, you'll more than likely enjoy The Ghost Pirates.

So, with your horror, do the protagonists always win? If you kill off an antagonist, is it always satisfying to the protagonist, and therefor, the reader?

In my stories, if I get rid of a bad guy, I always try never to have the good guy do it: instead, they die in a very mundane way, like a car crash, etc., off scene. My thought is that life is rarely if ever truly satisfying and dumb things happen all the time.

Anyway, just trying to have a creative conversation :)

DIVAIR

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:57 pm

DIVAIR wrote:
Give it a listen/read, since you like Lovecraft as much as you do, you'll more than likely enjoy The Ghost Pirates.

So, with your horror, do the protagonists always win? If you kill off an antagonist, is it always satisfying to the protagonist, and therefor, the reader?

In my stories, if I get rid of a bad guy, I always try never to have the good guy do it: instead, they die in a very mundane way, like a car crash, etc., off scene. My thought is that life is rarely if ever truly satisfying and dumb things happen all the time.

Anyway, just trying to have a creative conversation :)

DIVAIR

As far as protagonists winning in my stories - - rarely. At times I've written from the antagonists point of view, and I give them inventive ways to die. And as some of my antagonists are based on real bastards I've known, it is very satisfying. Like they say, don't piss off a writer, or you may end up in a story. :lol:

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:54 pm

I am an avid writer!!

I'm trying to journal every morning during coffee, and I also write poetry and fiction as time allows.....

I've found journaling is the best therapy in the absence of a paid professional :lol:

Also, NaNoWriMo!! !!

Ps.... has anyone seen the movie Stranger Than Fiction? As a writer, I found it hilarious.....

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Feb 2021, 2:51 am

I've always been good with reading/writing since I was a kid. But the process of writing a novel is exhausting and I never get through it. I do like the act of worldbuilding my own fantasy world for its own sake. I think I might write some short stories for it instead of a full novel. Oh, and I'm starting to write screenplays now. I don't think they'll ever be optioned and I don't really want to work with the studio system, but it's fun to just plan it all out.

My fantasy world is at a sort of pre-industrial tech level, but with a very ancient style of social organization based around the extended family or clan. Their new technologies are powering the engines of war as the old social order collapses while supernatural threats encroach on fragmented human society.

I'm working on a sci-fi screenplay about a bunch of criminals who clone the daughter of a wealthy financier and raise her to steal her identity as part of a heist.

And another screenplay based on The Unwomanly Face of War, a book that tells a bunch of first hand accounts of the second world war from women in the Red Army and Soviet partisans. The book is a bunch of short accounts from different people and I'm trying to create a story based on one character that would be a composite of several from the book.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:34 am

MidnightRose wrote:
I've always been good with reading/writing since I was a kid. But the process of writing a novel is exhausting and I never get through it. I do like the act of worldbuilding my own fantasy world for its own sake. I think I might write some short stories for it instead of a full novel. Oh, and I'm starting to write screenplays now. I don't think they'll ever be optioned and I don't really want to work with the studio system, but it's fun to just plan it all out.

My fantasy world is at a sort of pre-industrial tech level, but with a very ancient style of social organization based around the extended family or clan. Their new technologies are powering the engines of war as the old social order collapses while supernatural threats encroach on fragmented human society.

I'm working on a sci-fi screenplay about a bunch of criminals who clone the daughter of a wealthy financier and raise her to steal her identity as part of a heist.

And another screenplay based on The Unwomanly Face of War, a book that tells a bunch of first hand accounts of the second world war from women in the Red Army and Soviet partisans. The book is a bunch of short accounts from different people and I'm trying to create a story based on one character that would be a composite of several from the book.

I primarily write short stories. The longest thing I ever finished was a novella. I like keeping my fiction short, then assemble several stories into an anthology.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 6:47 pm

Anyone in need of some sci-fi ideas?

In the near-future the President of the United States creates a set of weapons that makes foreign enemies disappear. He accidentally uses on himself one day and the UN investigates. The UN covers it up by using old video clips and using CG.

A young man named Charlie receives messages from a group of scientists looking for people to conduct experiments on. Charlie dismisses the messages as fake because he believes his path of self-destruction will continue. Charlie agrees one day to undergo an experiment in which he is bitten by a radioactive mouse. Charlie develops the ability to bite through metal.

Acknowledging the fact that humanity will end, thousands of humans travel into Earth’s distant future to avoid the destruction of Earth. They arrive in a time where to their surprise; a new version of Earth awaits their arrival. New forms of humanity have been created and many animal species have evolved being recognition. In this new Earth, the newcomers attempt to build a home. As more people become desperate to go to the new Earth and literally fight for the limited number of places available. As more people go to the new Earth, they experience different versions of history along the way with increasingly interesting results. When the population gets to well above capacity levels allowed, it becomes an indication that the future colony will reach a point where the population will suffer.

The crew of a spaceship named The Aquarius are forced to take weapons that can save cities in need. The crew refuse to be given the weapons citing morals and against breaking the laws of the force that they are members of. The crew soon discover that the weapons have good usage after all; the ability to plant food on the entire planet. The crew is soon forced to consider what to do after; get rid of the weapons or be paid even more to continue their valiant works of feeding every single citizen of Earth.