Could I be suffering from a stroke or something else?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 8:40 pm

I didn’t have to work today due to bad weather closing the library and thought I would pick up where I left off in a video game. But moments after I started, I had this feeling almost like impending doom was coming to me. My head felt similar to the times my vagus nerve has been twitched, my legs felt tense, I couldn’t sit still, and I involuntarily made puppy-like whimpers which I sometimes do but it was on a more obvious level. Is something wrong with my brain? Am I developing a stroke? Did my medication increase upset my brain or has 15 years of depression done something to it?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 9:00 pm

Hi Mark - try not to overly worry about this. There are a number of causes of this feeling. It's quite an historical symptom in terms of having been felt by others as far back as 1400s. Some of the causes are Depression itself, Anxiety(including PTSD, Generalized, Panic Disorder), Blood Transfusion Reactions, Severe Allergic Reaction, Toxins & Posionings(jellyfish stings and cyanide poisoning particularly), "Anaesthesia Awareness(in other words, waking up during surgery), Seizures, Bipolar Disorder, Blood Clots(Deep Vein Thrombosis ... what we call Pulmonary emboli), an Adrenal Gland Tumor, and yes, finally Heart Attacks.

If this persists and you remain concerned, of course, talk to your Doc for peace of mind. This may well be caused by the dosage change in med you mentioned, but may simply be tied in with your depression/anxiety.

So sorry you're experiencing this. Try to relax.

Unless you commonly have the feeling of impending doom as part of an anxiety disorder, it may be best to call 911 if you have an overwhelming sense of impending doom. Many people have stayed alive due to trusting their instinct and intuition.

If you are uncertain, ask yourself, "what is the worst thing that could happen?" If your symptom means nothing, you may waste your day and the cost of an emergency room visit. Unlike video games, our bodies don't have a "restart" button if you choose to ignore a symptom that is signaling a life-threatening condition.

Further info:
https://www.verywellmind.com/sense-of-impending-doom-symptom-4129656

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2021, 9:17 pm

I don't mean to sound mean but if you think you are suffering a stroke then go to the Emergency Room.

TriPM Score (Taken 05/22/2021):
103 out of 174 points (99th percentile)

ADHD & ASD diagnosis made in childhood.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 9:23 pm

I would make an appointment with a doctor, or go to an Urgent Care place.

I really doubt it's a stroke.

Juliette's advice is sound. I sort of get the way you get when I'm anxious, too.

Come to think of it....if you have a psychiatrist, give him or her a call first thing in the morning.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 9:41 pm

One elderly individual that I knew was driving with his wife. The police pulled him over. They thought he was drunk and gave him the standard test to assess drunk driving. The kind where you walk in a straight line or put your fingers to your nose. He failed miserably. It turns out that he was not drunk but suffering from a stroke.

So if you had a stroke, how was your coordination during that incident.

According to the Internet these are the symptoms of a stroke:

* Sudden numbness or weakness in the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body.

* Sudden confusion, trouble speaking, or difficulty understanding speech.

* Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.

* Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance, or lack of coordination.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:06 pm

Hi Marknis,

I'm sorry you are feeling so poorly. I agree with Juliette and Jimmy that this sounds more like a panic attack than a stroke, but that doesn't negate the fact you are experiencing a serious emotional crisis. I hope you will speak to your pdoc about the increase in your depression and anxiety which seems evident in your last few posts. :( :( :(

I'd like to contribute some information for anyone who is curious about strokes, as a public service message. The main thing to remember is that strokes cause an absence of abilities, known as "negative symptoms". Sensations and abilities that our bodies normally have, suddenly disappear (e.g., balance, coordination, the ability to smile). This is in contrast to "positive symptoms", or additional sensations and abilities (e.g., hallucinations, skin rashes).

I've suffered two strokes. The first was quite serious and I spent a year in rehab.

This is what it was like for me at onset:

- Sudden onset (I was totally fine, and then ... BAM!)

- Sudden weakness and inability to control limbs (I fell on the ground -- loss of muscle control)

- Sudden confusion, with an inability to speak more than gibberish (I could only say b-b-b-b-b-b-b)

- Extreme dizziness / vertigo like I was extremely drunk, including the inability to see straight

- Inability to stand or balance (I was basically breakdancing on the ground)

- Arms flailing when I tried to reach for assistance

- Later in ambulance, one foot was kicking rapidly out of control

- One eye would not open (drooped face)

- Pseudo-Bulbar Affect (uncontrolled laughter from brain damage - some people have uncontrolled crying)

My second stroke was a month ago today. It was much smaller, but involved:

- Inability to move my arm and hand

- Extreme dizziness

- Inability to speak

The second one was mild in comparison, and brought on by a spike in blood pressure and / or a blood clot from a different medical problem.

My mother has had aneurysms which are a different type of stroke.
They involve severe headaches and loss of balance.

If anyone thinks they are having a stroke, please seek medical help immediately.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:17 pm

Oh Is! A second one, a month ago today? So sorry you've been through all this! Strokes/Heart issues are also in my family. Hope you're coping okay with all this. X

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:20 pm

From my own experience these days, people in A&E are often very kind and patient.
In case of doubt, some times it pays to be safe than sorry.

I reiterate the advice above by many well meaning folk.
From a non medical professional, I would guess that it sounds like a symptom of an anxiety / depression disorder.

Catastrophizing can be a symptom of various anxiety disorders including as mentioned above as part of panic, but also part of Generalised Anxiety Disorder. where you worry about practically everything if you don't have medication to help you control the worry. GAD is a bit like OCD but with thoughts. I have GAD, and still worry about somethings, including things that I know aren't logical to worry about even though I am completely aware that i am wrong to worry about such things, but still, the worry still comes.

If in doubt, go to A&E, or your Doctor.
For a small fee (or perhaps even free) you will have your worries put at rest.

Interestingly enough, they say that people who have strokes often have a sensation where they can smell "toast".

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:23 pm

Thanks, Jules.

I didn't mean to derail from Marknis' request for emotional support, but it's important for people to recognise the signs of stroke. If at all possible, get medical care within the first hour (the golden hour).

It can save your life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:26 pm

A & E is called “The Emergency Room” in the US. The ER.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:27 pm

You should definitely, at least, go to an Urgent Care place tomorrow.

Call the psychiatrist, too. It could be a medication issue.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:31 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Interestingly enough, they say that people who have strokes often have a sensation where they can smell "toast".

With my big stroke, I didn't smell anything but I heard an extremely loud noise in my right ear immediately before onset. The best way I can describe it, is that it sounded like a helicopter under water. It was deafeningly loud. The doctors had never heard of this phenomenon, but consider it was possibly the sound of my embolism lodged behind my ear. I have tinnitus but this was nothing like that. It was louder than a jet engine, with a whoosh-whoosh sound of helicopter blades.

The sound was terrifying. I'll never forget it.

Marknis,
Yes it's important that you follow up on this with mental health or call 911 if you have new or worsening physical symptoms that are concerning. I hope you feel better soon. We're all here if you need support.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 11:46 am

Marknis wrote:
I didn’t have to work today due to bad weather closing the library and thought I would pick up where I left off in a video game. But moments after I started, I had this feeling almost like impending doom was coming to me. My head felt similar to the times my vagus nerve has been twitched, my legs felt tense, I couldn’t sit still, and I involuntarily made puppy-like whimpers which I sometimes do but it was on a more obvious level. Is something wrong with my brain? Am I developing a stroke? Did my medication increase upset my brain or has 15 years of depression done something to it?

I wish you well. I think you'll need to have a check up, to rule out anything. If you're on medication, maybe it's a side affect too? a small stroke or TIA can be checked too. Maybe you're deficient in something? take it easy .

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 10:32 pm

CollegeGirlAnon wrote:
I don't mean to sound mean but if you think you are suffering a stroke then go to the Emergency Room.

Why do you think it sounds mean?

Last edited by Marknis on 13 Jan 2021, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 10:33 pm

sorrowfairiewhisper wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I wish you well. I think you'll need to have a check up, to rule out anything. If you're on medication, maybe it's a side affect too? a small stroke or TIA can be checked too. Maybe you're deficient in something? take it easy .

I did a walk in and I described what happened. The doctors I talked to think it was a side effect of my medication increase.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 10:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Hi Marknis,

I'm sorry you are feeling so poorly. I agree with Juliette and Jimmy that this sounds more like a panic attack than a stroke, but that doesn't negate the fact you are experiencing a serious emotional crisis. I hope you will speak to your pdoc about the increase in your depression and anxiety which seems evident in your last few posts. :( :( :(

Hi, Isabella.

I am indeed suffering an emotional crisis. I didn’t get an interview for the job I applied for, I still don’t have a girlfriend and using dating apps has been so exasperating to the point I don’t ever want to use them again, my therapist wanted me to look into volunteering but I can’t find anything that suits my abilities, and I don’t have a social group to go to on my lonely days.