Do people in the UK wash their undies in the washer?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 4:38 pm

Apparently it's cultural to wash your under clothing in the washing machine. Underwear would be what you brits call knickers and boys briefs and boxers.

Do you Brits wash your knickers, and male boxers and male briefs in the washing machine or do you wash them in the sink or tub?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 4:40 pm

Washing machine unless particularly soiled or if ones washing machine is not working.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 6:45 pm

All washable fabrics goes in the washing-machine, and that includes underwear....and face masks....

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 7:02 pm

Personally (being the macho type...) I never soil my undergarments... <jokingly said>

I still put my boxers in the washing machine. I don't wear boxers for more than a day.
Do all my own washing. :-)

I did use to hang out with a smelly young man who used to follow the trend at the time
which was known as "Krusty", referring to a student like trend to pretend to be like new age travellers / self sufficient types... who were known to grow krusty dread locks, a lot like rasta dread locks but more unkept, and who
were proud of never washing their clothes for months if not years....

I personally hated that Krusty trend.

In some parts of the UK, it is more a custom for people not to even wear undies...
The tradition for Scottish men for example, to wear kilts with no undergarments...

but alas, these Scottish folk are a hardy breed, and they come from Celt Warrior heritage!
While the legend is these Scots do not wear undergarments, they apparently have a custom of wearing sporen over their kilts... which i believe may help warm the neither regions....

although I am not overly sure of that one.... and a bit shy to ask.... (especially in case some Scots, who are prone to be macho and a little homophobic, misinterprets my questioning as personal interest in his sporen contents...lol)...

Last edited by madbutnotmad on 01 Feb 2021, 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 7:03 pm

or is the question...

do the undies wash their people...

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 7:28 pm

Quote:
In some parts of the UK, it is more a custom for people not to even wear undies...
The tradition for Scottish men for example, to wear kilts with no undergarments...

but alas, these Scottish folk are a hardy breed, and they come from Celt Warrior heritage!
While the legend is these Scots do not wear undergarments, they apparently have a custom of wearing sporen over their kilts... which i believe may help warm the neither regions....

although I am not overly sure of that one.... and a bit shy to ask.... (especially in case some Scots, who are prone to be macho and a little homophobic, misinterprets my questioning as personal interest in his sporen contents...lol)...

"Is anything worn under a kilt?"

"No m'am/sir-- all my parts are in fine working order." :wink:

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 7:42 pm

Washing machine(Aussie here who’s living in the UK). I hand wash “special underwear” that’s a bit fancier/delicate. I never put brassieres in the clothes dryer though, as it damages the wire and they need gentle air drying to keep them in good shape.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 9:33 pm

I don't wash my underwear. I wear Depends.

Shadow1888
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2021, 10:55 pm

Well being scottish myself i can tell you Scots only tend to wear kilts at weddings and other occasions, but there rarely wore outside of that.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 12:22 am

League_Girl wrote:
Do People In The UK Wash Their Undies In The Washer?

The UK canal boaters I follow on YouTube certainly do not wash them in the canals.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2021, 11:13 pm

I always wash my underwear in the washing machine.

Its rare that I hand wash anything. When I do, its usually sports stuff which needs a little bit of cleaning, but I don't want to wait an hour for the machine.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

03 Feb 2021, 4:37 am

League_Girl wrote:
boys briefs
Underpants!

No, I use the wash tub and mangle in the back yard. What do people in the USA was their undies in? But seriously everything goes in the washing machine, even shoes sometimes.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 4:50 am

OutsideView wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
boys briefs
Underpants!

No, I use the wash tub and mangle in the back yard. What do people in the USA was their undies in? But seriously everything goes in the washing machine, even shoes sometimes.

There was a thread on AITA Reddit asking if someone is an as*hole for threatening to kick their sister out of their apartment because she wouldn't stop washing her undies in his washing machine and he mentioned he washes no underwear in his machine. People on twitter were arguing about rather the sister should follow his rules or not and some others were making jokes about it by posting their inane rules about their washing machine or their vacuum as a joke. Someone brought up about this being cultural so that is why I made this thread. I am interested in UK life.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2021, 4:56 am

8O

So, there is a culture of not washing underwear in a washing machine?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 5:40 am

YES...

Where the hell doesn't?! 8O

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

03 Feb 2021, 5:42 am

League_Girl wrote:
There was a thread on AITA Reddit asking if someone is an as*hole for threatening to kick their sister out of their apartment because she wouldn't stop washing her undies in his washing machine and he mentioned he washes no underwear in his machine.

No way, I figured everyone with a washer would just stick their undies in unless they were really fancy things. Othe than my grandma who I don't think had a washing machine I've not heard of anyone here not doing.