I need help recording old DOS games

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 1:29 pm

Does anyone with any experience with these know of any efficient way to record videos of old games like Commander Keen? I want to do a Let's Play on them in the future, but nothing is working out.
Problem 1: OBS won't work with this game.
Problem 2: I can't record in Windowed mode because it brings it up in a tiny square. I tried changing the resolution to 1280x720, but even though that setting is saved, it still runs in a tiny square.
Problem 3: Dos Box's recording feature sucks. I have to press three buttons to record and stop recording, but it interferes with the save game function and the videos are .AVI.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2021, 4:41 pm

Can OBS stream a virtualbox machine running the DOS game? I don't know, just throwing out an idea. Might be worth looking into.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2021, 5:40 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Can OBS stream a virtualbox machine running the DOS game? I don't know, just throwing out an idea. Might be worth looking into.

I asked around multiple places and the best result I got was I had to change the output within the DOSbox options to OpenGL then I had to use OBS Window Capture. I finally got things to work, but I'll run the first test recording sometime before March. I've got plenty of time.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 4:14 am

Capturing the monitor output doesn't work?