Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Feb 2021, 5:04 am

KT67 wrote:
magz wrote:
Not an American but here the standard is to keep your washing machine in the bathroom.

I'm starting to wonder if the bathroom thing is a continental Europe thing? With Poland & Spain doing it?

And I keep forgetting just how many Americans have basements!

I can't remember the last time I was in a house with a basement.

Attics on the other hand are fairly common here. I want to develop my attic & turn it into an art studio.

The most Polish house arrangement is the main trash bin in a cupboard under the kitchen sink :D Everywhere around here and unheard of elsewhere :D

The logic behind washing mashines in the bathroom is, I think:
1. small apartaments as the standard of living even for well-off people
2. you do hand-washing or pre-washing in the bathroom, too - bathroom is generally the "wet" area. Outside of bathrooms and kitchens, the floor is usually wooden and you don't want to walk around with wet things there.

Where are washing machines typically located in the UK?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 5:09 am

mine are in a wider spot of a crowded hallway next to the bathroom.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 11:59 am

magz wrote:
KT67 wrote:
magz wrote:
Not an American but here the standard is to keep your washing machine in the bathroom.

I'm starting to wonder if the bathroom thing is a continental Europe thing? With Poland & Spain doing it?

Attics on the other hand are fairly common here. I want to develop my attic & turn it into an art studio.

The most Polish house arrangement is the main trash bin in a cupboard under the kitchen sink :D Everywhere around here and unheard of elsewhere :D

1. small apartaments as the standard of living even for well-off people
2. you do hand-washing or pre-washing in the bathroom, too - bathroom is generally the "wet" area. Outside of bathrooms and kitchens, the floor is usually wooden and you don't want to walk around with wet things there.

British washing machines are in the kitchen. Or utility room if the house is new & big.

Do you mean by main bin something akin to an American (or my haha, I'm rare) dust bin or a British wheelie bin?

I think it might be rare for people to have 1/2 hour baths in other countries. It really annoys me that my mum does that. Even now I've moved into mine, cos she's staying over, she'll take half an hour to an hour in the only bathroom in the entire house... Gets in the way if anyone else needs the loo or to get ready for bed.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Feb 2021, 12:12 pm

Googling graphics, it's closer to the "dust bin" - but it's often just a bucket (currently an array of buckets, for recycling reasons). It's nearly always located in a cupboard under the kitchen sink.
Other dust bins may be in bedrooms and bathrooms but the kitcheen one is the most used.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 12:28 pm

magz wrote:
KT67 wrote:
magz wrote:

1. small apartments as the standard of living even for well-off people

Attics here, even in one of the warmest places in Canada, are almost always full of insulation & never developed as an additional space.

Maybe this is a Polish influence on Canada? Plenty of Ukrainians & some Poles that settled on the Prairies 100 years ago. This is the way it is here in our house & what I automatically assume in ALL houses and businesses. It's rare that I open the kitchen sink cupboard and don't find the main garbage can.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Feb 2021, 6:03 am

KT67 wrote:

Basements don't really exist in some parts of America. I'm from Louisiana & basements are extremely uncommon there. A lot of the state is not very high above sea level(some parts are below) & you combine that with being a coastal state & the Mississippi River running through it & the water level is too high to have basements. My dad only ever worked on one house that had a basement & I think that was before I was born. I never really been in a basement until I moved in with my girlfriend 8 years ago. The townhouse apartment we lived in till moving a year ago had a basement. Attics are common in Louisiana, especially in houses that only have one main floor thou some houses have an upstairs & an attic as well instead of just an upstairs.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2021, 6:08 am

nick007 wrote:
KT67 wrote:

Basements don't really exist in some parts of America. I'm from Louisiana & basements are extremely uncommon there. A lot of the state is not very high above sea level(some parts are below) & you combine that with being a coastal state & the Mississippi River running through it & the water level is too high to have basements. My dad only ever worked on one house that had a basement & I think that was before I was born. I never really been in a basement until I moved in with my girlfriend 8 years ago. The townhouse apartment we lived in till moving a year ago had a basement. Attics are common in Louisiana, especially in houses that only have one main floor thou some houses have an upstairs & an attic as well instead of just an upstairs.

Basements in swampy areas are a bad idea.
My parents made that mistake.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 8:18 am

magz wrote:
Googling graphics, it's closer to the "dust bin" - but it's often just a bucket (currently an array of buckets, for recycling reasons). It's nearly always located in a cupboard under the kitchen sink.
Other dust bins may be in bedrooms and bathrooms but the kitcheen one is the most used.

I mean like a bin which all the other bin bags get tipped into.

Wheelie bins are uniquely British but both dust bins in America and wheelie bins in Britain are used to tip all the other bins into, so they have to be big, they're put outside into the street & the (I'm trying to find a gender inclusive term for this... rubbish collectors? bin people?) bin men collect them once a week.

Nowadays different types of rubbish are collected on different weeks so I keep my kitchen bin and living room bin different in terms of what each has in it. Also helpful cos I have a dog staying here atm and I don't want her raking through my bins - she doesn't care about paper.

Once a fortnight, I take my kitchen bin, bathroom bin & bedroom bin & put it in the wheelie bin and it gets taken to landfill. Mostly food waste and unsanitary things...
Once a fortnight (the other week), I take my living room bin & guest bedroom bin & put it in the wheelie bin and it gets taken to the recycling plant. Mostly paper and cardboard, also some glass bottles.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2021, 8:54 am

KT67 wrote:
magz wrote:

I mean like a bin which all the other bin bags get tipped into.

Wheelie bins are uniquely British but both dust bins in America and wheelie bins in Britain are used to tip all the other bins into, so they have to be big, they're put outside into the street & the (I'm trying to find a gender inclusive term for this... rubbish collectors? bin people?) bin men collect them once a week.

Nowadays different types of rubbish are collected on different weeks so I keep my kitchen bin and living room bin different in terms of what each has in it. Also helpful cos I have a dog staying here atm and I don't want her raking through my bins - she doesn't care about paper.

Once a fortnight, I take my kitchen bin, bathroom bin & bedroom bin & put it in the wheelie bin and it gets taken to landfill. Mostly food waste and unsanitary things...
Once a fortnight (the other week), I take my living room bin & guest bedroom bin & put it in the wheelie bin and it gets taken to the recycling plant. Mostly paper and cardboard, also some glass bottles.

That kind of bins are kept outdoor and if you live in an apartament building, they are common for all the residents. Where I live, there are separate containers for: paper, plastic and metal, glass, "bio" and the rest.
Under the kitchen sink, you keep an array of bins and you empty them to the big ones when needed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 11:18 am

nick007 wrote:
KT67 wrote:

Basements - micro-geographical regional, too.. basements exist in nearly all homes here, but not ranchers, and ~Zero basements in the City of Richmond where the Vancouver International Airport is because it's at or below sea level & would be a geotechnical nightmare of sinking & flooding if someone tried to dig down - and that's about a 25 min drive away from where I live where virtually every single house has a basement - that still have windows; nut not really for light - they have grates over the window wells at ground level & exist to be satisfy building code requirements for fire exits from any bedroom or potential bedroom if a house is sold with an unfinished basement. (which is common for both cost & property tax purposes.)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 12:39 pm

Washing machines need water. In an unfinished basement you are likely to find exposed plumbing that make it convenient to get water for the washing machine. Without an unfinished basement it is easiest to put the washing machine in or near rooms that have water lines--either in the same room or on the other side of their wall.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Feb 2021, 12:37 am

Double Retired wrote:
Washing machines need water. In an unfinished basement you are likely to find exposed plumbing that make it convenient to get water for the washing machine. Without an unfinished basement it is easiest to put the washing machine in or near rooms that have water lines--either in the same room or on the other side of their wall.
It's pretty common for washing machines to be near the hot water heater for obvious reasons & they are usually close to the kitchen or bathroom but not always.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 10:49 am

I love my washing machine. I could sit on top of it all day when it's on a fast spin.

I really don't know where Americans keep there's but mine is in my kitchen.