Mirtazapine - anything I should know?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 9:14 am

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

(And if anyone else has anything to add I would be happy to hear your thoughts and experiences of Mirtazapine).

My bf has been taking it for 3 days now, and apart from struggling with the short half life (he gets panic attacks if he takes it more than 26 hours after his last dose, and he is only on half a tablet a day, which will rise to 1 a day in a week).

He said that he is feeling very slightly better, although it is way to early to tell if these will help relieve his deep depression. They have been helping him sleep - which is really good as he has had insomnia for most of his life, so getting a decent night's sleep is a bit of a new experience for him!

He says it makes him feel a little 'stoned' but it said on the crazymeds website that Remeron was the closest thing you could get to legallly prescribed pot!

He hasn't had major problems with craving sweet foods so far, but I have been encouraging him to stock up on fruit, as these are a better source of sugar than chocolate bars, especially as he really doesn't want to put on more weight.

thanks also to whoever moved this - as explained above, I accidently posted it under the wrong forum and didn't know how to move it myself!

btw, the word for the way that people's bodies metabolise and are affected by medication is PHARMACOKINETICS (not psychokinetics as I wrote above! Although I have heard the latter word before, just can't remember what it means!)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 10:40 am

psycho --mind

kinetic -- motion

psychokinetic -- Moving things by thought. This is akin to what URI Geller claimed to do.

Steve

UrbanStrike
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2007, 2:13 am

I was having vivid nightmares, and was prescribed mertazpine to "shut my head up" when I slept.

It worked, just a little too well. From when I woke up to about 10 hours later my whole body was "shut off". Just way too relaxed, close to a paralyzed feeling.

No more of those for me.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 5:38 am

SteveK wrote:
psycho --mind

kinetic -- motion

psychokinetic -- Moving things by thought. This is akin to what URI Geller claimed to do.

Steve

Thanks Steve - knew I'd heard that word somewhere before!