Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 1:52 pm

I get really disturbed by sounds, the swithboard at work, and ventilation, the kitchen klock at home, and the fridge. Strangely I don't mind the buzzing from the heating system.

/Mats

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 2:01 pm

I can't stand a ticking clock but I don't think it's an autism issue issue with me. My daughter on the other hand is really irritated by almost any sound.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 3:16 pm

Auditory hypersensitivity is very common among people with ASD.
Abnormal hypersensitivity, low tolerance for auditory sensory stimuli,
inability to focus on one sensory source while placed in a environment that is busy (has more than one source)

The name audiologists use for low tolerance is misophonia.

I have not yet found an official term for inability to filter out sensory information.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 3:25 pm

My parents tried to put a clock in my room when I was a kid. I had meltdowns because of the ticking...

There's a lot of sounds that overwhelm me and I can't filter multiple sounds happening at once. Cooking is really overwhelming because of all the noise involved.

Blueberry_Muffin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2021, 4:00 pm

Constant loud noises from things like concerts and bands makes me want to kill myself.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 4:50 pm

I've been to multiple concerts and music festivals and such, but that never disturbed me. I mean I went there because I enjoyed it.
It's the background noice that gets to me.
Fans, timers, clocks...
On the flipside I can find the kitchen clock ticking sound a bit sothing.

(I'm always like that, take whatever and I both love it and hate it.)

/Mats

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2021, 5:58 pm

I'm very sensitive to noises as well, but it depends on the frequency. Some people's voices feel like an ice pick going into my head. Some noises make me flinch and cover my ears, especially those in the high frequencies.

I have music on all the time, anything from 1920's Hot Jazz, 1930's-50's Western, to modern electronic: it really helps me stay even.

DIVAIR

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2021, 11:06 am

I have no problem with most mechanical sounds. I like the sound of a clock ticking, or the gentle hum of machinery.

The sounds that drive me to distraction are ones that are either directly produced by humans, or else by means of humans. Sounds of chewing, coughing, or sneezing. The sound of a leaf blower being revved up and down, up and down,.. Likewise a motorbike or car engine being revved up and down. And one of the worst of all, for me, is the sound of applause. It absolutely ruins the experience of going to a concert for me. Even more so an opera, when the audience finds it necessary to applaud, shout and whistle during the middle of an act.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 11:31 pm

The constant buzzing of the fridge and the noise of my heater drive me crazy. I also don't like noisy events like parties.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 9:01 am

Telecommute

Earplugs

See if you can move your desk at work

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 9:15 am

I have sensory auditory sensitivity with no filter.

At the same time, I don't have misophonia.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 10:01 am

It's one of the biggest obstacles in my daily life.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 1:05 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Telecommute

Earplugs

See if you can move your desk at work

If that was for me.

Telecommuting only works to a small extent.
See, I work with boats and ships.
My ears are not compatible with earplugs, but I'm scouting for noice reduction earcups.
These seem very interesting https://guardiosafety.com/en/auriscom.html
I cannot move the desk/office, It'd be too far away from my workshop.

/Mats

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2021, 9:57 pm

Yes, me too. Some sounds and certain peoples loud voices are nerve wracking. I have earplugs and noise canceling headphones.

I'm ok with concerts sometimes, but I'm really exhausted afterwards.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2021, 11:32 pm

I get obsessed if I hear a new sound and can't locate its source. Some kinds of sounds drive me crazy, even at low volume. I also have problems tuning out some sounds to focus on one, like speech. If the TV is on in the background, I find it difficult focusing on conversation. I can do it, but it makes me tired, I get irritated. I don't have a TV, in my house though.

A while back I got very sick after coming off anti-depressants. I came off them too fast and it caused damage to my nervous system, it's functioning went into chaos. While I was recovering, there was a period of several years where I couldn't tolerate any sounds at all, not even at low volume. I had to use ear plugs almost all the time, and stay in my room with the door closed.

In hindsight, I can see that the damage to my nervous system intensified all of my autism symptoms, including those related to sound. I'm pretty much back to normal now, back to my normal aspie self that is.

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 1:42 pm

Dogs barking

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman