Found some white hair strands on my head

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 4:49 am

But I don't have any whiteness or grayness or any silver hair in the middle of my scalp. So either some of my strands turned white after it's grown in or my pigment cells are starting to die so I am now growing white hair now. It's very hard to see and you really have to get close to my hair and look at it and look for it or else you won't even know they're there. I keep finding more and more and I keep looking and it's not obvious unless I get close to the mirror and move my hair strands around until something white pops up.

It's not fair, I'm only 35 and there are murders in prison in their 40's and 50s and they still have their natural hair color and no white hair ore gray hair strands. Why did my body have to start now?

I guess I better start dying my hair now because I am very worried I will have more white hair in the next few months. My husband thinks it will happen slowly because his did and it didn't get more obvious till he was in his 30's. He started getting gray hair strands in high school.

I didn't notice this until 3 nights ago.

I also swore my nose looked bigger and pointier and I was right, as we age, our nose gets bigger and looks pointier. I never noticed it in anyone but me.

I am already using body lotion and anti age face cream to try and slow down my aging so I don't look like an old woman in my 40's. I see 70 year olds that still look to be in their 50's and have no wrinkles and still have their natural hair color, I don't want to look like a granny when I am 60 or 50. It's not fair. My mom is in her late 60's and she doesn't look like a granny yet and she says she uses body lotion and always has for many years. But her hair color has totally changed but she looks blond now because she made it look that way so it looks more natural than dying her hair all the time to make it brown (her original hair color) and she would have so many obvious white strands of hair. Of course my mom told me she was dying her hair when us kids were in elementary school and I didn't even know about it. She said she was around my age when she started to go gray but she said she was in her late 30's when it happened. So she was older than me when she started to notice white hair strands, it's not fair. Why is my body doing this to me.

Now I might have body dysphoria all over again. :( My husband tried to make me feel better by saying some young women want white hair so I said "they can just dye it then." of course to try and make myself feel better I enjoy hearing stories from people online that said they found gray or white hairs on their head in their teens or in their twenties or early thirties and the fact that even children can get white hair strands. I used to find white pubic hair strands as a teen but most of it was always brown. Now I never see any when it grows back in and I shave it off again. My mom's is totally faded in color and it looks light brown now instead of dark brown and black. But I've never had a lot like hers unless it's because I have always trimmed mine and shaved along the bikini like and my butt crack. Now I just shave it all off because it's gross and disgusting and I got tired of finding pubes on my hands while washing down there. So gross. I used to fantasize waxing it all off or pulling it all out and it never grows back.

But I can't stop being scared my hair is going to be all white by my birthday or a year later where it's going to be all noticeable. My husband thinks I am imagining that my new hair strands are turning white so quickly as I keep looking at it and I even made my head bleed from plucking at it because I think this strand looks white, this strand looks silver and then I step back and my hair looks all brown again and the streaks are gone. Ugh. This all started when my hair was looking frizzy after getting it cut short because I hate long hair and I wanted it to be flat and my hair looked lighter in color and my bangs won't stop flying around and sticking up than facing down. I think I will just get a long layer cut next time. I also got hair spray to keep my bangs and hair flat. I honestly wouldn't mind my hair getting thinner again with age because it got thicker as I got older. It used to be thin when I was a young child and then it got thick by my teen years. I also wouldn't mind if my hair got lighter brown instead because it was light brown when I was little and then it got dark brown by the time I was six or seven. And I certainly won't mind losing my time of the month. I haven't hit a menopause yet and I won't miss my biological clock ticking and I wouldn't have to deal with IUDs anymore to keep that away. I won't missing shaving either with age when I lose my body hair. But damn why did my white strands have to start? I feel like I am getting uglier and uglier as I get older and I wish we had good family jeans with aging regarding hair color. Now I am going to wonder how many people out there older than me actually dye their hair or having high lighted to make it look natural. Now I am going to be staring at hair now like I used to do with bodies when I was a teen because of early puberty and body dysphoria kids thought I was a lesbian because I was always checking girls out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

OkaySometimes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Feb 2021, 8:51 am

Since it's just starting, you have at least a few years before it's noticeable. Well, to anyone else. Now that you know about them, YOU will notice them, but likely no one else will for a while. I'm on the other side of that line, as I started graying in my early 20s. My head isn't fully white yet (I keep my hair buzzed off, but even when it grows out a little, there's still darker hair on top) but my beard... Well, I can relate to your post because it feels unfairly early to me to have an almost-completely-white beard at 43. I try not to let it bug me, but in all honesty it does sometimes. Like when someone thinks I'm my daughter's grandfather, that bugs me a little. I try to find the humor.
Most of the aging process is largely genetic (with obvious things like excessive tanning etc. taking their own toll.) My hair went gray on exactly the same schedule as my father's. His hair is white now, since about 50 (so I've got like maybe 7 years.) My mother still doesn't have very much gray, and she's 64.
If you seem to be following your mother's "signs of aging" schedule, you at least know what to expect. It sounds like she doesn't have too many wrinkles yet, probably a good sign for you. And, seriously, only you will see these first grays for several years. If it makes you feel better about yourself, dye it. Or wait for it to all go white, and dye it hot pink! I know a few women who have done that. My mother-in-law does a bright red henna a couple times a year. I see older ladies with pink, blue, green, bright red, even saw one a couple weeks ago with white roots but a full 7-color rainbow in horizontal stripes. Beautiful and amazing. It doesn't have to be terrible.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 10:53 am

I had a colleague at work [natural med store] and she had gray strands in her hair. I liked her hair, I thought it was unique and beautiful, she would always have a ponytail. Plus she was pretty young for it.

Dying it might speed up its whitening, I read dying your hair contributes to how fast it starts greying but I don't care I still dye.

The aging process can be really tough on women, but remember you can still be beautiful and will always shine through by your personality. For example despite not being ugly, a mass of people would label a person unlikeable or likeable based on personality and how much it shines through and is understood in its intent, as though they are blind to physical qualities.

Sending hugs. You are beautiful throughout your physical and genetic aging process. Don't believe any other way.

r00tb33r
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2021, 2:41 pm

White hair is better than no hair. My beard is springing up more and more white hair though...

Rexi wrote:
I had a colleague at work [natural med store]

Neat. Knowledge+

Rexi wrote:
Dying it might speed up its whitening, I read dying your hair contributes to how fast it starts greying but I don't care I still dye.

Your natural color is beautiful. I do like your highlights though. I don't find gray hair unattractive.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 6:56 pm

I talked to my mom and she told me to not start dying it yet or else I am stuck with it forever. I asked her when did she start dying it and she said she was 42 when she started but was in her mid thirties when she noticed a few white strands and then she had a patch of it by the time she started to dye her hair. The strands give me a shiny color when there is no light in the room. It's like I have some highlights that are shiny and I have always had natural high lights when sun hits it making it light brown. It used to look dark blonde when I was real little when sun light hit it and sunlight or just regular light hides the gray.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 6:58 pm

I'm about 3/4 gray....and have been for about 10 years.

My father went totally white by the time he was 40.

I wish I had his white hair, and his complete hairline. I've had a receding hairline since my late 20s.

A little gray implies "wisdom."

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 11:43 am

r00tb33r wrote:
White hair is better than no hair. My beard is springing up more and more white hair though...

Rexi wrote:

Neat. Knowledge+

Rexi wrote:

Your natural color is beautiful. I do like your highlights though. I don't find gray hair unattractive.

Thanks. My natural hair color isn't doing much justice to my pale skin: it's kinda soft, reflects light without seeming shiny. Especially since I never wear makeup, it makes my colors blend in less.

r00tb33r
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2021, 12:10 pm

Rexi wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Rexi wrote:

Neat. Knowledge+

Rexi wrote:

Thanks. My natural hair color isn't doing much justice to my pale skin: it's kinda soft, reflects light without seeming shiny. Especially since I never wear makeup, it makes my colors blend in less.

You're going after my heart, aren't you?
I have aversion toward makeup, and I have extra appreciation for women courageous enough to forego it most of the time. You're a diamond.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:18 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Rexi wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Rexi wrote:

Neat. Knowledge+

Rexi wrote:

You're going after my heart, aren't you?
I have aversion toward makeup, and I have extra appreciation for women courageous enough to forego it most of the time. You're a diamond.

Thank you. You're such a sweet gentleman. My face happens to be less white and untanned than for women when they take their makeup off which makes them look kinda like they've just woken up and unfinished. I prefer more tanned faces.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Yesterday, 3:28 am

I noticed a few grey hair a couple of years ago. Then, didn't see any for some time. Then, I saw some again.
I don't care, I like the shade of my grey hair - white with golden gloss, like my maternal grandmother's - so I don't think I would ever try to hide it.
Many of my friends have grey strands in their mid-thirties and one started greying in her mid-twenties. I think it's normal, some people just have it like that.

If you want to dye, you will need to do it regularily - if the regrowing natural hair is darker than the dyed color, it looks acceptably but if it's lighter - e.g. grey - the regrowing hair looks like bald patches.