Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Mar 2021, 7:55 am

Pepe wrote:
Some people confuse irreverent humour with being sexist. 8)
The problem is that it looks like off-topic trolling when repeated ad nauseam.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 2:27 pm

Pepe wrote:
Rexi wrote:
But it's not socially acceptable to say men are pigs or Pepe is sexist.

Besides, skunks and calicos [female cats] are obviously superior because of their multiple colors. And so is the gay flag.

[shields up!]

I don't see how it can't be both irreverent humor AND sexism. The two are not mutually exclusive. I daresay if one found sexism to be funny, the two concepts of "funny" and "sexism" would be indistinguishable from each other. No different than bullies who think bullying is funny, so "they're not bullying, they're just joking around!"

Perhaps it's not "other people" who are confused as to what is what...

Some people confuse relevant criticism with baseless attacks. 8)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 2:28 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Yeah ... some of us are getting sick of it, alright ...

:eew:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 4:18 pm

Are we yet again freaking out over a hoax?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 4:28 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Link to Snopes Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

05 Mar 2021, 8:23 am

Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Pepe wrote:

It shouldn't be that hard for someone with a long-term marriage.

Imagine being married to Pepe, And you would have to play fair. You wouldn't be allowed to make his jokes bend to your control.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Last edited by Rexi on 05 Mar 2021, 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

05 Mar 2021, 8:25 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Rexi wrote:

Besides, skunks and calicos [female cats] are obviously superior because of their multiple colors. And so is the gay flag.

[shields up!]

I don't see how it can't be both irreverent humor AND sexism. The two are not mutually exclusive. I daresay if one found sexism to be funny, the two concepts of "funny" and "sexism" would be indistinguishable from each other. No different than bullies who think bullying is funny, so "they're not bullying, they're just joking around!"

The fact that it's humor, it means it actually isn't serious, therefore it isn't sexist even if it appears to be. It is intended to appear unlike it is.
And irreverent the same, specifically.

At the same time a sexist person could make irreverent jokes but then they wouldn't be irreverent because he would believe in them.

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2021, 8:33 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Thanks, it took us 5 pages for us to realise it was a hoax.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 8:56 am

Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Well, if you're really that "sick of it", you do have the option to simply avoid posts\threads\sites where the content you dislike is present.

As was wisely stated elsewhere on the site:
Quote:
Just because they have the right to free speech does not mean they automatically have the privilege of an audience.

There's nothing forcing people to participate in conversations against their will, nor to read individual posts - It is a personal choice. If someone dislikes (or "is sick of") another members posts\posting style\post content, there is nothing forcing them to provide an audience (either through reading the post, or by responding to it).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:22 am

Brictoria wrote:
... There's nothing forcing people to participate in conversations against their will, nor to read individual posts - It is a personal choice. If someone dislikes (or "is sick of") another members posts\posting style\post content, there is nothing forcing them to provide an audience (either through reading the post, or by responding to it).
Going to a place that you helped build up only to find that the same three people have spread the same vile garbage they have spread everywhere else to make the entire place stink does tend to drive the rest of us away.

But maybe that is their goal -- to drive away those of us who rely on factual evidence, logic, and reason when discussing any topic, just so that the garbage-spreaders can happily wallow in their own filth without being labelled as swine.

Last edited by Fnord on 05 Mar 2021, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:23 am

Cornflake wrote:
Pepe wrote:
The problem continues unabated.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 10:12 am

Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
... There's nothing forcing people to participate in conversations against their will, nor to read individual posts - It is a personal choice. If someone dislikes (or "is sick of") another members posts\posting style\post content, there is nothing forcing them to provide an audience (either through reading the post, or by responding to it).
Going to a place that you helped build up only to find that the same people have spread the same garbage they have spread everywhere else to make the entire place stink.

But maybe that is their goal -- to drive away those of us who rely on factual evidence, logic, and reason when discussing any topic, just so that the garbage-spreaders can happily wallow in their own filth without being labelled as swine.

*Offers a hug* Your battle is noble.
I doubt Pepe's goal would be that. That's something Pepe would assume of others.
I'm of the opinion he's just being himself.
Otherwise Pepe wouldn't be an atheist and a skeptic.
Pepe is rather a skunk than swine, and a laughing hyena than a funeral moth.
He fights important political battles and is kind to the emotionally needy, newbies, depressed and the youth.
He has a serious side to all his skunkiness.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 10:13 am

Rexi wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Going to a place that you helped build up only to find that the same people have spread the same garbage they have spread everywhere else to make the entire place stink.  But maybe that is their goal -- to drive away those of us who rely on factual evidence, logic, and reason when discussing any topic, just so that the garbage-spreaders can happily wallow in their own filth without being labelled as swine.
*Offers a hug* Your battle is noble.  I doubt Pepe's goal would be that.  That's something Pepe would assume of others.  I'm of the opinion he's just being himself.  Otherwise Pepe wouldn't be an atheist and a skeptic.  Pepe is rather a skunk than swine, and a laughing hyena than a funeral moth.  He fights important political battles and is kind to the emotionally needy, newbies, depressed and the youth.  He has a serious side to all his skunkiness.
There are at least three members involved.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 1:08 pm

Pepe wrote:
Rexi wrote:

[shields up!]

Bullies have select targets. Not general speech. Bigots do, though.

Then there's irony.
irony
/ˈʌɪrəni/
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect

The skunk is obsessed with women and old fashioned. It's not acceptable in today's world to say 'I would never do x thing to women' because it implies women are weak and distinguishable from men. Today we must say 'I would never do x to people' or to skunks.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 2:41 pm

Rexi wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Rexi wrote:

[shields up!]

Bullies have select targets. Not general speech. Bigots do, though.

Then there's irony.
irony
/ˈʌɪrəni/
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect

The skunk is obsessed with women and old fashioned. It's not acceptable in today's world to say 'I would never do x thing to women' because it implies women are weak and distinguishable from men. Today we must say 'I would never do x to people' or to skunks.

Yeah, I'm definitely a chivalrous dinosaur. :salut: to Pepe. We're a dying kind.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 12:54 am

Rexi wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Going to a place that you helped build up only to find that the same people have spread the same garbage they have spread everywhere else to make the entire place stink.

*Offers a hug* Your battle is noble.
I doubt Pepe's goal would be that. That's something Pepe would assume of others.
I'm of the opinion he's just being himself.
Otherwise Pepe wouldn't be an atheist and a skeptic.
Pepe is rather a skunk than swine, and a laughing hyena than a funeral moth.
He fights important political battles and is kind to the emotionally needy, newbies, depressed and the youth.
He has a serious side to all his skunkiness.

[mega hug] :heart: