25 Apr 2021, 2:12 pm

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 5:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:
That's kind of hard to understand, but I think I get it?
A little off topic but I know that films love to slap the words quantum and nano onto everything that isn't realistic science-wise. I dislike that a lot.

The funny thing is if you ask them to define quantum, they will almost always get it wrong. To them it is just a cool sounding buzzword. What quantum in chemistry/physics really means is an allowed step in energy absorption/emission. For example, electrons have allowed energy levels that they can be excited to above their ground state. Just like steps in a ladder, the levels must be taken in allowed portions. You cannot jump up a ladder three and a half steps without falling down to the third step in the process (usually while hurting oneself in the process). I think I know exactly why this is the case, as it involves how an electron is made of electromagnetic energy.

Nano is just another word for extremely small size. Again, to non-scientists, it is just another buzzword for them to say. I design molecules at that level, some with very interesting properties that I intend to use for very small devices. In my research, I have developed materials in that range that likely have super paramagnetism properties.

Ummm...

You dropped the ball.

"Nano" is a little more specific than that.

It means "one billionth".

A "millisecond" is a "thousandth of a second", a "microsecond" a millionth, and "nanosecond" a billionth of a second.

"Nanotechnology" is about building devices out of parts a billionth of meter in size, or a billionth of some kind of linear measurment. So in common parlance (or at least the way I use it) "nano" means "anything a billion times tinier than your common human reference"...unimaginably small. At, or maybe beyond, "microscopic".

True, there is a dimensional size to the definition. However I have seen nano used by scientists to describe things that are much larger than that size limit in certain materials. The mono unit might fall into that classification in polymers, but not the bulk material overall. Carbon nanotubes can now be generated to extended lengths that exceed that size limit and the same thing can be done with diamond thin films. Yet both are still considered nanomaterials by scientists.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 3:30 pm

Yeah. They think quantum means time travel and teleportation and whatever else. And like you said, it doesn't. Just cool sounding buzzwords. And as a science nerd I hate it.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 3:33 pm

Animals, wildlife, flowers, good food and music, art. Bliss :heart:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 6:41 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Yeah. They think quantum means time travel and teleportation and whatever else. And like you said, it doesn't. Just cool sounding buzzwords. And as a science nerd I hate it.

Like that title of one of later day James Bond movies:"A Quantum of Solace".

One does THAT mean?

Solace is "emotional comfort",or "consulation". A "Quanta" is a particle in physics, or "a packet of energy...like what is represented in a photon".

So "Quantum of Solace" would mean...the exact amount (quanta) of..."Chicken Soup for the Soul" that goes into each soup can???? :lol:

And what would that have to do with James Bond?

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 11:55 am

I think the bad organisation in the film was called Quantum if I remember correctly.