Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Gym Nerd
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2021, 9:08 pm

Hey everybody,

Longtime lurker here, but I recently got an official diagnosis and I thought it was time to introduce myself. I've been working up to the diagnosis for three years, but now that it's finally happened, I don't know what to say.

I was labelled as "gifted" at a young age, and so many of my quirks were glossed over in light of my high academic achievements. I was put with a group of other "gifted" kids, several of whom, in retrospect, demonstrated autistic traits as well. Maybe that's why I didn't stand out so much. I also learned to mask my own problems and behaviors, thinking that this would make things easier for my mother, who struggled to support three children on a teacher's salary after my father died. Major problems didn't manifest until college, when I could no longer coast through classes on my good memory alone, and when I no longer had ND friends I could relate to.

I later learned that I had actually been evaluated at a young age due to a language delay, but the doctor said I'd grow out of it and sent me on my way.

But I made it through college (if only barely), and things have gotten much better over the past few years. My interests include weightlifting, reading, anime, and laughing at my own jokes. Nice to officially meet you!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 9:11 pm

Welcome....

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 4:19 am

Hello there GN and welcome to WrongPlanet - I hope you will enjoy it here :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 10:58 am

I often welcome new members in the forum but that feels a little odd in your case--you've been a WP member longer than me!

I also often predict the new member will likely meet some nice people on WP. You've likely already figured that out.

So....

Nice to meet you! :D

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 1:33 pm

Hello and welcome. I feel really sorry for you being put into the 'gifted' category. I haven't heard very nice things about it. I am a high achiever academically as well, but in the UK we have no concept of giftedness.

Sinister Biscuit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2021, 1:59 pm

Nice to "meet" you also!
Not a previous lurker, but new here (days?) - rec'd diagnosis 22Feb (last week), so still going thru the...what would one call it? Mental gyrations of re-org'ing the past with a different set of glasses..?

Exciting!

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 4:27 am

A warm welcome to the tribe

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 9:40 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 7:43 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

MsJustice
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Mar 2021, 7:26 pm

Welcome! I can relate; lots of aspie/autistic traits are written off to being "off" because of brilliance, as mine were. It has been nice hearing similar stories on these forums. I hope you find that here too!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 9:46 pm

Welcome to WPea! :mrgreen: