Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 3:53 pm

each of us must choose a person for whom this statement is the truth. otherwise, what are we all here for?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 4:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn't understand the concept of "relying on other people" until I was a teenager. I didn't know what that meant. I was too "into" myself.

When I was a kid, I was totally confused about life and myself and wasn't in a position to be independent.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I got lucky a few times with people. When I had no home, some friend took me in, and allowed me to look for an apartment. It wasn't obligatory--he wouldn't have been less of a friend had he refused. I was lucky he didn't refuse, though.

I was supported by a lot of people, over my life, despite my shortcomings.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't believe in "obligation," whatsoever. I'm not "obligated" to do anything for anybody. And nobody is obligated to do anything for me.

I'm the same.
Moreso these days.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like most people care about others at a certain level----but usually don't want to allow other people to upset their routine.

There are "true altruists" out there. I don't fit that category. I'm more into the "enlightened self-interest" thing without being bitchy about it. I believe in treating people like I want to be treated.

I am a considerate person, but I emphatically resist taking on an altruistic mindset. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 4:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
each of us must choose a person for whom this statement is the truth. otherwise, what are we all here for?

As I have said, the only person you can truly depend on is yourself. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 4:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

that is what the righties WANT you to believe, that it's every man for himself and the devil take the hindmost. but people have helped me and i have helped them, and paid things forward. that is why we are here on this earth.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 4:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

that is what the righties WANT you to believe, that it's every man for himself and the devil take the hindmost. but people have helped me and i have helped them, and paid things forward. that is why we are here on this earth.

As I have said, many people have supported me in my lifetime.
Unfortunately, there have also been many people feigning friendship, only to turn on me when it was perceived I was most vulnerable.

I have trust issues for good reasons.
Hence, my preference in predominantly expecting no genuine support, but pleased if it manifests. 8)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 4:57 pm

Have actually asked people in the past not to say this to me. Cause , I take everything so literally, it becomes crushing when you actually ask someone to be there emotionally or otherwise. Then they add insult to the fire by saying after the fact . “ Well why didn’t you call me “ . When you can clearly feel the hollowness of the statement.
It’s like having them tear your heart out , when all your other hopes have been dashed . :(
Sorry to be so sceptical .

Can truleyhope for the ideas Auntblabby has written

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 4:59 pm

if people fail you, that is a test THEY have failed.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 5:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Likes this statement and hopes for the truth of it .

where ever you go ,there you are

carryon_kate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2021, 5:08 pm

I'm here for you is full of crap. People say it over and over but they never really mean it. When you're actually struggling they ignore you. They only want the masking version of you, and to be frank it is upsetting.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 5:08 pm

Jakki wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

at the very least, it helps me be able to face myself in the mirror and sleep at night.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 5:26 pm

Jakki wrote:
Have actually asked people in the past not to say this to me. Cause , I take everything so literally, it becomes crushing when you actually ask someone to be there emotionally or otherwise. Then they add insult to the fire by saying after the fact . “ Well why didn’t you call me “ . When you can clearly feel the hollowness of the statement.
It’s like having them tear your heart out , when all your other hopes have been dashed . :(
Sorry to be so sceptical .

Can truleyhope for the ideas Auntblabby has written

It is predominantly an NT thing, imo.
I have learnt from it and take a rather cynical attitude when I hear something like that. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 5:29 pm

carryon_kate wrote:
I'm here for you is full of crap. People say it over and over but they never really mean it. When you're actually struggling they ignore you. They only want the masking version of you, and to be frank it is upsetting.

When I say "I will be your friend always if you want me to be", I mean it.
Autistic people are known for their loyalty, well, usually. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 5:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jakki wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

at the very least, it helps me be able to face myself in the mirror and sleep at night.

Agreed.
Personal integrity, self-confidence and self-esteem are the keys to coping, in a rather hostile life system. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm

I DO believe in helping people.

What I don't believe is that it's an "obligation."

I don't expect anything in return. If I do get something in return, I'm grateful.

I don't believe the vast majority of people want you to die in an alley somewhere. I don't believe it's all "dog eat dog," like a Charles Bronson movie or something....

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 7:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jakki wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Exactly. :heart:

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 7:31 pm

I'm fine with the disinterested. Most people are disinterested. It's no big deal that any particular person is unable or unwilling to provide support.

But false hope is the worst. It's a setup for humiliation. I'm just now learning the platitudes that NTs use to make themselves feel like they are being kind. Thing is, few people have gotten close enough to me to ever know I was in distress, so I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I'm here for you" to me before last year. But in the last year I picked up a few concerned citizens, and some of them have been more helpful than others. Bless the ones who have been helpful, and some people have been unexpectedly so.

The ones who aren't so helpful? I'm trying not to be upset with them. They should be no more or less detrimental to me than anyone else, but the thing is, I perseverate over things I don't understand, particularly people things, so when someone has convinced me of something that isn't true, and I end up embarrassing myself over it, they are causing me harm that rational me knows they didn't intend.