Is a fast metabolism commonplace with aspies?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 4:40 pm

Velorum wrote:
in my 60's I am about the same waste size (32") and weight that I was as a 20 year old.

that is very admirable! :wtg:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 4:47 pm

here is a odd one .. used to have a real problem with remembering to eat food . Even years later now
i am not always good at remembering .. finding quality nourishing food almost seemed like it was a hopeless issue. . Almost a lack of interest in eating . ???? Faulty brain wiring maybe ?

where ever you go ,there you are

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm

I have an odd metabolism. I was relatively chubby as a toddler and then thinned out a lot as an older child, though I think that was from being on ritalin, and now I find it hard to keep my weight stable even when I don't change my eating habits at all. I think stress and a lot of other factors affect my metabolism as an adult.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 4:54 pm

Jakki wrote:
here is a odd one .. used to have a real problem with remembering to eat food . Even years later now
i am not always good at remembering .. finding quality nourishing food almost seemed like it was a hopeless issue. . Almost a lack of interest in eating . ???? Faulty brain wiring maybe ?

A lot of autistic people seem to have issues remembering to eat. I think some of them just get to engrossed in other tasks, or don't recognize hunger, or just don't have a huge appetite for most things due to their food restrictions, etc., or a mixture of those factors.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 5:17 pm

my stomach very efficiently reminds me to eat. :|

Arathors
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2021, 6:24 pm

I had an astonishing metabolism up until my mid to late 20s, though autism was not related AFAIK. Up until that point, not only could you count my ribs, you could count my vertebrae. The ultimate threat in my college friend group was, "I'm gonna pick [Arathors] up and chop you in half."

I could stuff myself every day with no change. One summer I went on a 3000 calorie a day diet, with balanced protein/fat/carb ratios, etc. I gained five pounds in two months and stopped dead. I promptly lost those five pounds when I went back to college and couldn't easily maintain the diet anymore.

I don't think autism had much to do with any of that. I was a picky eater, but flexible enough that I could usually find enough to eat. I did strongly resent the amount of time I had to spend eating (even though it was no more than normal). I looked into meal replacement shakes for some time before I decided they weren't worth the effort.

Curious about almost everything. I'm especially interested in chess puzzles (warning: I'm not good at them), writing fiction, and reading scientific journals, particularly articles that I can use to improve myself or my life somehow. PMs welcome.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 6:41 pm

Could relate to alot of what was written by Arathor . About time it took to eat. Right up to the part about the meal replacement shakes ....Because those are quick and easy. And was using those for years. Now even the store bought prepackaged protien shakes did not have adequate nutritional value. . Have to pay attention carefully to how i feel, and try to assess , my blood sugar levels and protien requirements. Even then it doesnt help not having a apetite.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:00 pm

Ghulam Asadiq wrote:
When I was at school, I often got called a scrawny little shrimp in the changing rooms because of my very skinny figure. I remember when we had swimming lessons feeling very self conscious of myself in my swimming trunks because my body was so stick like as well as being the only brown skinned boy in the swimming lesson.

Now I'm a full grown adult, I still have a stick like body look and I can go through eating lots of large meals and put on very little weight, if any and feel hungry again within the next two hours.

The most I've been is 60kg due to high metabolism but I recently lost 2kg, very easy for me to lose weight, very difficult for me to put on weight. Seems to be an aspie thing

Lindsey1151
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2022, 9:41 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Ghulam Asadiq wrote:
When I was at school, I often got called a scrawny little shrimp in the changing rooms because of my very skinny figure. I remember when we had swimming lessons feeling very self conscious of myself in my swimming trunks because my body was so stick like as well as being the only brown skinned boy in the swimming lesson.

Now I'm a full grown adult, I still have a stick like body look and I can go through eating lots of large meals and put on very little weight, if any and feel hungry again within the next two hours.

The most I've been is 60kg due to high metabolism but I recently lost 2kg, very easy for me to lose weight, very difficult for me to put on weight. Seems to be an aspie thing

I think it's your autism making your brain work extra harder than a typical person. Which is causing you to burn more calories than a typical person.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:05 pm

Beware if your immune system is under assault from a chronic low level infection . Your systems are going to be on high, throughout other parts of your anatomy, That constant trigger will cause you to burn more calories.
After many years of research along the lines of infectious disease, have discovered with the help of a few doctors that these infections can even go dormant for periods of time, some are transmitted even through the birth canal, and go for generations without proper identification or treatment, and very few blood labs in the US have the capabilities to test for them. You really have to identify all your subtle symptoms and and more obvious ones and have a very smart infectious disease Doc. Grew up with stuff I came to think of as normal that , I wasn’t even aware other folks did not have One of the biggys was a chronic, chronic fatique issue, just for starters. Even as a child. Just a FYI

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jun 2023, 9:13 pm

I have a fast metabolism, but I've still been making sure to eat a healthy diet and getting exercise and I plan on maintaining this lifestyle so that hopefully I wont gain fat in the future.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 8:10 am

Sounds like a plan...! just incase might keep an eye out for a hyper reactive immune system, as you get older?
Either way exercises of sorts will give best mileage you can get from a body, i think :nerdy: :D

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 8:19 am

Checking in with a fast metabolism... still

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jul 2023, 9:21 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
As life goes on, I would say due to the nature of the complex conditions known as ASD,
we inevitably end up suffering from various mental health problems, but especially anxiety and depression.

Some may suffer from sensory hyper sensitivities, some agoraphobia, some other similar ailments.
The longer you suffer from depression, the more likely you are going to suffer from anxiety.

The longer you have anxiety / depression, the more likely your going to get some form of brain damage
which causes the condition to be more permanent, especially if you continue to get exposed to stressors.

Anxiety / Depression often causes people to drink and eat too much. Some times sleep more than normal.
I would say that sleeping longer than normal can be caused by sensory hypersensitivity.

Some however, are of the opposite dynamic. In that their neuroses manifest themselves as anorexia.
So... some get obsessive about their weight.

I personally was born with allergies, asthma etc. and had parents with a sweet tooth.
So as a kid I was tubby.

The thing is I also have some aspect of hyperfocus in me, which i believe is part of my ASD.
Which helped me to lose loads of weight, when i turned 11, I started karate and became obsessed.
Eventually training 7 days a week and losing all the tubby-ness

By 14 i was super lean and continued for a few years
but later on, got anxiety / depression and coped by drinking and eating

I am now 47 and finally got a handle on my diet
I have been on a diet since jan the 3rd
and by going on a strict calorie restricted diet

i lost over 10 kg in about 6 weeks
I plan to keep on going

another 10 kg and i will be 73 kg
my ideal weight

so perhaps just another 6 weeks
and then i will have to work out a maintenance diet

i think that this is what the western world needs now
to cure obesity

as even kids are super heavy now
let alone the adults

and with it brings all sorts of health problems
such as diabetes and other forms of problems
Good post.

I was very scrawny as a kid & teen due to being a very picky eater who couldn't cook. Mom hated having to cook special meals for me so I usually just ate one big meal a day & when I could I'd eat some snacks at various times. I gained aLOT of weight after I moved in with my girlfriend 10 & a half years ago thou. I can get food I like more easily & independent living is more stressful. I kinda have to eat 3x a day due to meds & supplements I'm on thou I sometimes skip my so-called lunch(some of my meds are psych meds). I still have a tendency to eat big when I do eat thou. I'll usually eat till it's all gone or till I'm uncomfortably full. I also binge-eat on snacks as well.

I started trying to cut down on snacking due to health reasons & costs(inflation rises a lot faster than gov benefits do). My docs are also concerned about my weight due to potential side-effects of some of my psych meds. Lots of psych meds have side-effects like weight gain, increasing cholesterol, increasing blood sugar, & increasing blood pressure. However some psych meds are sometimes used to help people lose weight. I started taking Naltrexone a couple months ago to help manage my binge-eating better & it's helping some. I also started using Ozempic a year & a half ago partly to keep my blood sugar from going up & to help reduce my weight. A few of my family members have heart problems & some of my psych meds can increase that risk. I've been mostly steadily losing weight since starting Ozempic & I cut down on buying snacks & I have been trying to be more active.

My Ozempic got increased a couple months ago due to a shortage & the lower doses tending to be out of stock more & I've started having more gastrointestinal problems after a while. Like I feel sick to my stomach sometimes & have lots of sulfur burps. The idea of eating sometimes makes me feel sick & I sometimes have to force myself to eat 3x a day & I cant always finish my meals. Those side-effects are worse the 1st few days after giving myself the injection. I think my next doc appointment is scheduled in the beginning of September & appointments with specific docs tend to be very hard to get at short notice so I'm debating if I should quit taking Ozempic or not for the time being. If I don't stop my Ozempic I don't need to take Naltrexone for the time being. I've done a bit of research & realized that there's also a pill form of Ozempic that's taken everyday & it's the equivalent of a lower dose weekly injection & the pills are not having a shortage. The pills have to be taken on an empty stomach & you cant eat or drink anything including water for like half an hour or hour after. I dislike eating when I 1st wake up so the pills might work better for me if my insurance would actually approve them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 9:52 am

I wish.